Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 04:35 PM

700 posts, read 1,820,548 times

Advertisements

Hi all once again. Looking for information on Health Insurance for business owners. I just got a quote from Fl Blue and ATFC (acronym for something special)! 1150 to 1780 a month for 2 over 50 in good health. No wonder people go without. PLEASE don't make this into a political thread. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm presently working as an independent contractor and we carry a high deduct emergency plan which is about to run out. Nobody wants to hire me at this time and trying to search alternatives. We are a FL LLC and thought we'd get better rates. This is more $ than an individual plan for both of us.

I have more to say but too pi$$ed right now.

Thanks!
(off soapbox now)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2012, 05:58 PM

94 posts, read 178,523 times
I was told to check the Farm Bureau. I ended up going with the insurance at my job (BC of Florida- 700 a month for family) just keeping my fingers crossed that my husband gets a job that offers better rates. Good luck!

Old 09-13-2012, 09:02 PM

241 posts, read 480,332 times
I had insurance back in Pa on my own and 2 years ago it was costing me $650 per month for 1 adult over 50 in good health. I then got on a plan at my job, well that only brought it down to $450 per month. I have been without for over a year now as I was laid off. So seems the rates you were quoted would be about right.

Hoping that I stay healthy...there are a couple things I would like to see a doctor about if I had insurance...now just hoping they play themselves out without getting worse.

Old 09-13-2012, 11:42 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,930,909 times
Until recently, I was not aware of the reality of the cost of health insurance in the States.

I am Canadian, and we, as you may know, have universal healthcare coverage. Interestingly enough, we spend a 1/3 less as a percentage of GDP on healthcare, with better results... we live longer. Our taxes are now lower, and we pay no healthcare premiums.

I'm now at that age of looking at snowbirding it. Seeing what you pay, I guess I should consider myself lucky that it will cost me about $1500 for 6 months. On the other hand, it is cheap a heck for healthcare in Mexico and Guatemala, and that is a short plane ride away. I am contemplating having just emergency evacuation/stabilization insurance, and if any thing else develops, to either come back to Canada or become a medical tourist to Central America.

I guess this doesn't add a ton to the thread, but I do consider myself lucky not looking at the huge premiums your looking at. I didn't know before.

Old 09-14-2012, 12:54 AM

3,979 posts, read 10,555,950 times
My boyfriend and I both are self-employed and pay our own health insurance. He pays $650 per mo through Blue Cross Blue Shield of Florida and I pay $350 per month with United Health Care. His coverage is so much better than mine. I had one night stay in the hospital and some heart tests and had to pay over $10,000 out of pocket. He had his appendix out and was in the hospital for 5 days, 4 nights and only paid less than $1,000 out of pocket. Rates are outrageous. I have a pre-existing condition of osteopenia in my hip and nothing is covered related to that hip. It really SUCKS. I used to be a teacher for 23 years and had my health insurance covered for free. Sure do miss that. There are a several plans out there. Find an agency that represents more than one company and get some quotes. That is what I did. My dental coverage SUCKS too, but I pay it anyway because you never know. Charlotte County is more expensive for health insurance than Sarasota County. We used to live in North Port and when we moved to Port Charlotte our rates went up because there are more older people living in Charlotte County and there is a higher risk. Go figure! Good luck on finding something that suits your needs.

Old 09-14-2012, 04:30 AM

1,580 posts, read 3,144,228 times
If you think its expensive now wait until its free.

Old 09-14-2012, 04:51 AM

700 posts, read 1,820,548 times
Thanks all. I feel better knowing we're not alone. Maybe it is on par. Have to look into the homestead laws concerning creditors taking your home for back payment. Years ago I had my apendix out on a self pay. Paid it off over a couple years w/o interest. Maybe that's an option. Used to be if you paid on your bills they couldn't ruin your credit. Hopefully that's the same.

Tammy, 10K is ridiculous! Sorry to hear.

Old 09-14-2012, 11:27 AM

3,979 posts, read 10,555,950 times
Tammy, 10K is ridiculous! Sorry to hear.[/quote] And that was with my insurance company paying 80%.

Old 09-14-2012, 02:26 PM

3,179 posts, read 6,007,650 times
And that was with my insurance company paying 80%.[/quote]
Wait, if $10k was your 20%, then the total bill was $50k??? For ONE night and some tests??? Did I hear that correctly?? Your insurance didn't discount the bill (standard allowance for certain items?) Usually that will save around 50% of what the medical facility charges the insurance co, which then saves you a ton out-of-pocket.

Old 09-14-2012, 03:23 PM

138 posts, read 233,433 times
Hope this isn't veering too far from the OP's question, but I saw a segment on the evening news recently regarding the huge disparity of hospital costs across this country. The study cited an appendectomy as an example. The price differences are stunning. Hospital costs for an appendectomy ranged from "$1,500-$180,000, with an average of $33,000" depending on location. http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-204_162-57419361/study-appendix-surgery-costs-differ-around-u.s/

Basically, you are expected to shop procedures like you shop for socks. But that's just not reality, especially in an emergency.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte