Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 08:21 AM

5,167 posts, read 4,939,822 times

Advertisements

Hi all.

I've looked back through the historical posts on C.D. about phone service and found that a lot of people don't even have a land line phone anymore. Unfortunately, the cell service at my P.C. house sucks, so it looks like it will be a land line.

Does anyone have any recommendations with land line phone companies? We're not looking to bundle a bunch of services (cable, internet, phone), just get a residential phone line to make local and long distance calls on and something on the cheaper side since some months it won't be getting any use. I tried web sites for ATT (can't find details of phone plans) and Birch Comm. (our current provide in MD; can't find any info on their site either!) but haven't had luck finding plans; they just direct me to their wireless info . I can't believe these major companies' web sites are so poor in providing information, but I guess that's a different topic altogether.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2012, 10:15 AM

1,581 posts, read 3,372,326 times
A friend of mine swears by Magic Jack. You can have your other home phone number here. She said it worked for her niece when they were stationed in Japan, they took the magic jack with them and had their phone number from here in the states and said it worked fine. I do not have first hand experience with it but something you may want to check out.

Old 11-19-2012, 11:21 AM

3,979 posts, read 10,545,164 times
My Dad used Magic Jack in Punta Gorda and it did not work half the time, so he got rid of it. We have a friend in NY that uses Magic Jack, but he had to purchase something extra to get it to work. Not sure what.

You need to check to see what phone companies actually service your area. We bought an AT&T microcell for our home and my cell phone works fine now. We live in Port Charlotte. Here's the link for the Microcell - AT&T 3G MicroCell - Wireless Signal Booster - Wireless from AT&T. I am not sure which cell phone company you use though.

Century Link - 800-339-1811 - CenturyLink | Local Provider of High Speed Internet, Phone, Mobile & TV Services

Verizon - 800-483-4000 - Verizon Popup

Comcast - 1-877-870-4310 - www.comcast.com

Old 11-19-2012, 11:50 AM

5,167 posts, read 4,939,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamRE View Post
My Dad used Magic Jack in Punta Gorda and it did not work half the time, so he got rid of it. We have a friend in NY that uses Magic Jack, but he had to purchase something extra to get it to work. Not sure what.

You need to check to see what phone companies actually service your area. We bought an AT&T microcell for our home and my cell phone works fine now. We live in Port Charlotte. Here's the link for the Microcell - AT&T 3G MicroCell - Wireless Signal Booster - Wireless from AT&T. I am not sure which cell phone company you use though.
My wife's friend, who lives near Tampa, did not have luck with a Magic Jack either. She (my wife) is going to check with her to see what the issues were. Thanks, nphomeowner and TamRe, for the suggestions.

I love the idea of the microcell. Unfortunately, our cell service is with Virgin Mobile and the microcell isn't compatible with non-AT&T products. I've tried to research cell phone signal repeaters but again haven't had too much luck. I have a feeling that I may not be using the proper terminology in the search engine. I may have to go the antiquated route and go talk to someone at a store!

Old 11-19-2012, 12:07 PM

3,979 posts, read 10,545,164 times
In addition to our AT&T cell phones we have Century Link as our landline service. We use them for Internet and Phone. We only have the land line for our businesses to use long distance and fax, otherwise we would probably just use the cell phone at our house. My Dad switched from Magic Jack to Comcast. It might be cheaper if you bundle Internet and Phone together or Internet, Phone and Cable.

Old 11-19-2012, 01:02 PM

1,464 posts, read 1,841,307 times
Vonage works well, and you can take it anywhere you have your computer. Of course, if your internet goes down, your phone does too.

Old 11-19-2012, 01:32 PM

3,645 posts, read 7,147,419 times
we have/had century link phone and internet, they do a vacation package where you can 'de-liven' the service when you are away. it svaes a few bucks.

now we are full time we just switched and bundled everything to verizon

Old 11-19-2012, 01:36 PM

3,179 posts, read 5,999,012 times
When our Sprint contract ended, I went to Boost and put my wife on Virgin (both are on the Sprint network). My phone worked great, but my wife's Virgin phone had poor service. I took it into Radio Shack and explained the situation (why would two phones, both on the same network, have significantly different reception). They did an antenna search and found that it wasn't picking up several in the area. 5 minutes, problem solved, free of charge. I would look at that first. Might be something simple. Now neither phone has any reception issues anywhere around PC.

Old 11-19-2012, 02:03 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,885,964 times
I JUST checked out AT&T today to see if wireless service was available at my house, I'm sick of Verizon. I put my address in their box to see if coverage was available, and it couldn't find my address!! Neither could their "Live Chat" person!!
So...I guess the answer is "No".

Old 11-19-2012, 03:12 PM

1,581 posts, read 3,372,326 times
If your lucky maybe the tax people won't know your address either! Now how sweet would that be?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte