Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2013, 02:55 PM

6 posts, read 28,723 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
I did some maintenance on the boat this week, and I have transmission fluid and coolant/ antifreeze to dispose of. Where can I take them? Will it cost anything? I tried taking it to Walmart because I have heard that they will take/ recycle fluids that they use in the services they perform, for no charge - this is true, but they only do oil changes there, no coolant or transmission work. So, where do I take this stuff? Thanks,
GAC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2013, 03:12 PM

1,646 posts, read 3,026,086 times
19675 Kenilworth Blvd, Port Charlotte

That is the charlotte county municipal waste building. Around back they have guys that will empty your gas cans and give them back to you if wanted, no charge. I'm pretty sure they take trans fluid, oil, old batteries, paint and antifreeze also. I took 40 gallons of old gas there, they dumped them in a tank and handed me back my gas cans.

Old 05-09-2013, 04:49 PM

5,172 posts, read 4,943,999 times
That's good to know. I knew that the county would pick up used motor oil (has to be in a clear, screw-on lid, plastic container) on trash day along with used oil filters, but I didn't realize you can take the other fluids to the trash center.

Old 05-10-2013, 05:11 AM

3,979 posts, read 10,548,914 times
Yes, you can take your stuff to the mid-county transfer station off of Veteran's Blvd. You have to be a resident of Charlotte County and show your license. Here is the web link that shows what they take and their hours: Solid Waste

Old 05-10-2013, 06:14 AM

697 posts, read 1,169,866 times
What about for Sarasota County residents?

TIA

Old 05-10-2013, 10:30 AM

3,979 posts, read 10,548,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyChief View Post
What about for Sarasota County residents?

TIA
Sarasota County government provides hazardous waste disposal service for the entire County, including the City of North Port. However, the County does not provide curbside collection of hazardous waste.

To dispose of certain kinds of hazardous waste (see list below), North Port residents may take items to the South Sarasota County Chemical Collection Center at the Jackson Road Transfer Station at 250 S. Jackson Road, Venice, FL. You can find the center at the south end of Jackson Road, off East Venice Avenue. Directional signs to the Transfer Station are posted on Venice Avenue.

Drop-off hours for the South Sarasota County Chemical Collection Center in Venice are: Wednesday - Saturday 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. The South Sarasota County Chemical Collection Center in Venice is closed on government holidays.
Sarasota County also operates a Chemical Collection Center at 8750 Bee Ridge Road, Sarasota, FL. The North Sarasota County Chemical Collection Center is open Wednesday through Saturday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.

Examples of household hazardous waste which should be disposed of at a Chemical Collection Center are:

o Paint
o Automotive Products
o Cleaners
o Pesticides
o Fertilizers
o Antifreeze
o Gasoline
o Fluorescent lamps
o Fire extinguishers
o Propane tanks

If you have any questions about the Chemical Collection Centers, or about hazardous waste items, call the Sarasota County Hazardous Waste Management Office at (941)861-1530.

Old 05-10-2013, 08:37 PM

6 posts, read 28,723 times
Thanks for the great info, I found the website and will take my stuff there (Kenilworth). GAC

Old 05-15-2013, 09:38 AM

697 posts, read 1,169,866 times
Thanks all
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte