Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2013, 08:35 PM

1,646 posts, read 3,030,278 times

Advertisements

In the past two years we lost our 2 dogs to old age. We had a black lab and a chihuahua aged 16 and 15. The time has come where I think we are ready for a dog again. It took a while, as they were family members and irreplaceable, but we are ready to bring a new guy into our home. We are looking to "rescue" from someone who just can't keep it anymore. I have no problem paying a re-home fee as long as you are not a breeder looking to make money.

I like bigger dogs but she likes little guys. We will probably end up with one of each eventually so right now size doesn't matter but attitude does.

Looking for a dog with a calm personality, that is our main concern. We really don't want an over active hyper dog, and that is what we've been finding in the rescue centers. We have a dog run for them, big yard, and I'd like to be able to take them on the boat if they want to come. Age is somewhat important but not everything.

I hear there is a special category for this type of thing on CD, but I'm looking for someone local. So you can visit the dog anytime.

Please email, thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2013, 11:09 PM

93 posts, read 186,289 times
Go on youtube and search for Ramsey and Pablo. I have been involved in Dobie rescue off and on since 1978 or so, and have to tell you that every one we took in to foster almost never left. My last girl Keona I picked her up (fostered) 3 years ago was one of the best. I had her for several months and got the call that a lady just retired and wanted another Dobie so I took her over to her house. This was one of the hardest things I ever had to do, I told her if she changed her mind don't be afraid to call me. Well a few months went by and I got a call from a health caregiver that the new owner became sick and wanted to know if I wanted her back. I lost her last Sept 17th. I guess what I am trying to tell you is they are great friends and family members. After I get to PC I will get another rescue Dobie.

Old 09-22-2013, 12:47 AM

1,646 posts, read 3,030,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dobiedog View Post
Go on youtube and search for Ramsey and Pablo. I have been involved in Dobie rescue off and on since 1978 or so, and have to tell you that every one we took in to foster almost never left. My last girl Keona I picked her up (fostered) 3 years ago was one of the best. I had her for several months and got the call that a lady just retired and wanted another Dobie so I took her over to her house. This was one of the hardest things I ever had to do, I told her if she changed her mind don't be afraid to call me. Well a few months went by and I got a call from a health caregiver that the new owner became sick and wanted to know if I wanted her back. I lost her last Sept 17th. I guess what I am trying to tell you is they are great friends and family members. After I get to PC I will get another rescue Dobie.
Ramsey and Pablo crack me up! Still watching. Reminds me exactly of our 100lb lab and little Chihuahua...the lab, like your dobie just took whatever was thrown his way. "Little Focker" was always the boss (named after Meet The Parents...it just fit ). Her favorite move was to hump the lab's head.....at least 3 times a night. I think he liked it...still not sure .

I love Dobies and they are on my list for sure. But I better let her get what she wants first.....meaning small dog first...unless we find a big dog she can't say "no" to. We do have cats, so big dogs have to be watched close at first. Our cats like dogs though, especially big dogs.

Old 09-22-2013, 04:43 AM

3,645 posts, read 7,157,267 times
good for you going for a rescue -max props...BUT please don't think big dog + cats equals problems

we rescued our current 125lb mastiff , he was 18 months, been rehomed 4 times, attacked by boxers and was , frankly, all messed up. he came to our home, walked in, took one look at our cat Hooch and spent the next few months being bullied by him......we moved here and sadly left hooch behind for his own good, he was a pure outdoor cat and would have hated it here...........but Marley was as good as gold with him. we since added a 70lb rescue pit and a 20lb Boston...they get along fantastically.......but the biggest thug..is the boston

Old 09-22-2013, 04:56 AM

7,136 posts, read 12,681,583 times
Check out all of the small dogs in need of good homes here:

Pet Search Results: Adoptable Dog Pets in Port Charlotte, FL: Petfinder

You will be amazed at how many really great dogs are available. Best wishes.

Old 09-22-2013, 06:35 AM

3,979 posts, read 10,558,281 times
We found our dog using Petfinder.com. There are many rescue places around. I belong to the Gulf Coast Golden Retriever Rescue in Murdock in Port Charlotte. We have Golden's that need to be fostered and rescued all the time. Here is their web site: Gulf Coast Golden Retriever Rescue Florida. Honey will be up for adoption. I got to meet her a couple of weeks ago. What a sweetheart. We are at Petco on the corner of 41 and Cochran the first Saturday of every month from 11-2.

We personally adopted our beagle from a rescue in N. Ft Myers and they had pets in the shelter you could look at. Also, Petco has adoption days. My parents adopted a small dog from near the Tampa area. You may have to drive to get what you want. When I was looking I kept going back to the Animal Welfare League of Charlotte County but they didn't have small dogs, they were all large.

Bless you for wanting to take in a rescue. It is certainly the way I will go from now on. That is how I got my last two dogs.

Last edited by TamRE; 09-22-2013 at 06:44 AM..

Old 09-22-2013, 07:10 AM

going off on a tangent , I find it very sad the number of dogs just abandoned, given up for some stupid reasons ('we didnt know a great dane would grow so big!!') or neglected down here...sadly too many people see their dogs (or cats) as breeding material and cash cows..you often see people selling puppies by the road side ............it makes me very angry the irresponsible breeding when there are far too many homeless who end up being eutanised, so again good for you for going the rescue way. all 3 of ours are and they are great
Attached Thumbnails
Looking to adopt a dog-005.jpg   Looking to adopt a dog-006.jpg   Looking to adopt a dog-027.jpg  

Old 09-22-2013, 07:20 AM

1,237 posts, read 3,450,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamRE View Post
We found our dog using Petfinder.com. There are many rescue places around. I belong to the Gulf Coast Golden Retriever Rescue in Murdock in Port Charlotte. We have Golden's that need to be fostered and rescued all the time. Here is their web site: Gulf Coast Golden Retriever Rescue Florida. Honey will be up for adoption. I got to meet her a couple of weeks ago. What a sweetheart. We are at Petco on the corner of 41 and Cochran the first Saturday of every month from 11-2.

We personally adopted our beagle from a rescue in N. Ft Myers and they had pets in the shelter you could look at. Also, Petco has adoption days. My parents adopted a small dog from near the Tampa area. You may have to drive to get what you want. When I was looking I kept going back to the Animal Welfare League of Charlotte County but they didn't have small dogs, they were all large.

Bless you for wanting to take in a rescue. It is certainly the way I will go from now on. That is how I got my last two dogs.
This. Use petfinder.com. It's almost completely rescue dogs that go to specific breed rescue groups instead of animal shelters/ humane societies. Sometimes people realize they can't take care of a pet and will return them to the breeder (a good breeder will require this) and some will go to rescue groups.

Also be willing to go to other humane societies. Not all shelter dogs are hyper. You clearly are being thoughtful about the process so use the proper channels available.

Old 09-22-2013, 07:23 AM

531 posts, read 1,162,910 times
Mr.&Mrs.S.........I always love looking at the pix of your doggies.....they're truly beautiful, and.......look, ohhh, so relaxed! They're all very lucky to have you two for their parents, and I bet they give you lots of love!

Old 09-22-2013, 07:33 AM

thanks Karen & Jim, they have their crazy moments but we wouldn't be without them.......Marley is truly a reformed character he was very unsettled when we got him now he is a real lover and a ladies man he is awesome with children, Harbor Hoppers son fell asleep on him and he didn't move...Jada is a daddys girl and loves everyone and Charlie is just a bundle of energy and mischief
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte