Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2013, 01:59 AM

41 posts, read 88,903 times

Advertisements

Was kind of windy today and I just have to look at it as making as close to "hilly" effort wise (save for banzai'ng the bridge over the Peace river a few times) as I will get her in FL as compared to my past routes in the Ozarks. The flatness of Florida means I have to increase either distance and/or velocity to get a similar workout as in the hills of where we recently moved from. Rides of there had a much greater variety of terrain.

Nice to get out after a lot of rain in the past 3 + days. Still managed to get soaked today though from a pop up shower that was not on the radar when I left.

Any other frequent, somewhat longer distance (30-40+ mile) road riders here?

I used to run but that was before knees wore out and back and neck problems were aggravated. Odd how cycling is more efficient calorie burner and the rotational effort is obviously not jarring as running can be. I still hurt a lot after a hard ride, but that is true of any day, exercise or not.

A few notes to self and others...

- First and fore most WEAR A HELMET and don't forget eye protection!

- A rear mounted light (mine is affixed to my under seat bag) to help draw attention to you as many drivers are distracted.

- Take the time to set up your bike to fit you for long rides. A good seat, anti vibration gloves and or gels under the cork grips help with the road buzz resonance/harmonic that happens on certain pavement types and at certain speeds.

- If you have never tried good quality, padded bike shorts, do so. It makes a huge difference in comfort.

- ALWAYS carry a few zip lock bags for your wallet, phone and other items you prefer to not get soaked. Especially if your route takes you 10+ miles from home or away from a place you can sit out a rain shower.

- A small under seat bag with a spare tube (I carry a second, size appropriate, tube with me when I ride with a friend), patches for the dreaded double flat, allen wrenches in the 1 or 2 sizes needed to keep your seat post, bars and the like snug or adjust if they slip. A CO2 inflator with at least 2 or 3 cylinders, or a hand pump. A small screw driver that will fit your derailleur screws and know which way to turn for which desired range you may need to adjust. A pair or 2 of surgical gloves will save you a mess should you need to work on your bike and can double as rain gear for electronics. Slip in a few bucks and some coins too.

- Always take a cell phone, paper and pen and important contact info should a spill or can't be fixed problem happen.

- File a "flight plan" with someone with intended route and approximate return times. Close it out by phone or email when you return.

- A small first aid kit (band aid or patch, antibiotic ointment, any needed RX's)

- A gel or 2 and perhaps a power bar to stave off the bonk.

- Plenty of water, perhaps with supplements for electrolyte balance. I carry a good of extra water for rinsing off or just cooling off on hot sunny rides. Also nice to be able to give to another in need.

- A weather check go-no go is always done before I launch and the estimated times over the distances are pretty well known save for wind or repairs. As in flying, always have an "out".

- If you have recently moved here do be aware that changing a tire or other repair on the roadside has a hazard that you may not be familiar with - FIRE ANTS! Pick your repair spot with care.

Most of this is pretty obvious to seasoned riders, but I learned the hard way over the last few years of the benefits of a little kit carried and pre ride planning.

All of the above sounds like a lot to carry on a ride, but experience has proven every item to be well worth the weight which is minimal. I usually have a belly bag for other stuff, and a bum bag for a couple extra bottles of water and do not care about the extra weight.

I like to ride as hard as I can on any given day for the exercise but it is a sort of personal competition outlet as well. A few extra pounds of water and stuff just means more of a workout and when I get bonked from over doing it, the extra hydration and a gel or bar can make the difference between a miserable 20 miles home and the dreaded stair climb when I get finally get back and feeling really a heck of a lot better. Being able to rinse out your mouth and not worry about wasting water is something I appreciate.

I'd like to hear from any other roadies out there and ideas from others is not just welcome but greatly appreciated.

Be safe
Patty
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2013, 03:57 AM

3,645 posts, read 7,154,792 times
cycling isn't for me...but for anyone who needs the proper equipment friends of mine run a clothing shop in Englewood called cycle clothing .com

Old 09-27-2013, 04:12 AM

1,646 posts, read 3,028,832 times
You pretty much covered everything...wow. Back in the day I had to carry quarters for the pay phone just in case . That was the most important thing besides my tool kit, although luckily I never had to use the quarters for a ride home. Today, hey..we got cell phones Jack! (Si Robertson...ah, nevermind). But cash is always king on a long trip. You break down....well, cash will always get you, and your bike home.

When I was a teenager I'd ride my Bianci from Cherry Hill, NJ to Atlantic city on the weekends. It was a 10 hour round trip, about 100 miles, so I'd just touch the boardwalk and come home soon after. A Camelback was my friend. No way I could do that today. I did just quit smoking though, so I might start riding longer distances again...maybe....probably not that long.

Plain and simple, drivers are not what they used to be. All of the "texters" scare the hell out of me. They are worse than the drunks I had to deal with back then. At least the drunks watched the road. The young texters are enough to make me ride on the opposite side of the road. Legal, no. IDGAF. I want to see what's coming at me.

Oh, yeah....you say you have a fanny pack or two while riding. There should be a legal gun in one of them.....Period.

Stay safe!

Last edited by HarborRat; 09-27-2013 at 04:30 AM..

Old 09-27-2013, 04:27 AM

41 posts, read 88,903 times
One unusual hazard are the RV'ers that forget to pull in the entry step (or the auto mechanism is bad). It add's a foot of width and they do not even know what a hazard they are. See something new every day...

Be safe
Patty

Old 09-27-2013, 05:06 AM

5,176 posts, read 4,951,032 times
My riding hasn't progressed yet to the distances that you're riding, plus I'm not a fan of riding on the streets; to many distracted drivers out there.
Outside of riding a "circuit" on neighborhood streets around some of the local canals, I like the trails. I've done parts of the Legacy Trail up around Sarasota and plan on soon riding down the Cape Haze Trail. My goal is to ride on some long, interconnected trails, camping along the way, but is seems that Fl has a long way to go to connect the network of shorter trails together.

Old 09-27-2013, 07:58 AM

2,837 posts, read 2,697,399 times
Default PG Ring Around The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikMal View Post
My riding hasn't progressed yet to the distances that you're riding, plus I'm not a fan of riding on the streets; to many distracted drivers out there.
Outside of riding a "circuit" on neighborhood streets around some of the local canals, I like the trails. I've done parts of the Legacy Trail up around Sarasota and plan on soon riding down the Cape Haze Trail. My goal is to ride on some long, interconnected trails, camping along the way, but is seems that Fl has a long way to go to connect the network of shorter trails together.
The Punta Gorda Pathways is a system of approximately 18 miles of Bicycle and Pedestrian Trails and Paths that will connect the City's neighborhoods, parks, and commercial areas.

This is pretty much completed and may be what you are looking for.

For more info try this:

City of Punta Gorda Florida

Old 09-27-2013, 08:43 AM

1,646 posts, read 3,028,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikMal View Post
Have you tried the Joppa Ave trails, off of Flamingo BLVD? Not sure how they are myself, haven't tried them yet ...but hey, it's local.

Old 09-27-2013, 01:31 PM

3,979 posts, read 10,554,801 times
I have a customer that has two 3 wheel bicycles with the baskets on the back. One is red the other is burgundy. Brand new. They live in Punta Gorda and thought they would be riding them on the bike path but one of the owners developed a knee problem and they can no longer use them. Anyone looking for a 3 wheel bike or know where is the best place for them to try and sell them? I told them Craigslist or the newspaper or maybe Play It Again Sports.

Old 09-27-2013, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamRE View Post
I have a customer that has two 3 wheel bicycles with the baskets on the back. One is red the other is burgundy. Brand new. They live in Punta Gorda and thought they would be riding them on the bike path but one of the owners developed a knee problem and they can no longer use them. Anyone looking for a 3 wheel bike or know where is the best place for them to try and sell them? I told them Craigslist or the newspaper or maybe Play It Again Sports.
I wonder if they can donate them to the group that has the free loaner bikes in P.G. and het a tax write off for the donation?

Old 09-27-2013, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarborRat View Post
Have you tried the Joppa Ave trails, off of Flamingo BLVD? Not sure how they are myself, haven't tried them yet ...but hey, it's local.
Haven't tried them yet. Is that the same system that is behind the ball park? I was waiting to get my carry permit before I went wandering aimlessly back there. Now that I have it, I have no reason to not go!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte