Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2014, 08:50 AM

390 posts, read 609,221 times

Advertisements

My hot water heater is in my garage on the outside wall on one side of the house. The master bathroom is on the other end of the house. It takes so long to get hot water to my master bathroom. I was told I could use a recirculating pump, but I am unsure on where in the house this would usually be installed, if it can be at all.

I was thinking to install pump on an inside wall of the garage which would be approx 20' closer to the bathroom. Would that correct the problem?

Did anyone else have this issue?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2014, 09:06 AM

2,118 posts, read 3,776,884 times
We had this problem with our 1982 built home. When we last replaced the hot water heater we added the curculation pump beneath the sink of the master bathroom. This was the point furthest from the heater, which is what was recommended. It works better than is hoped. Instant hot water, bam! The second you turn it on. Because it constantly circulates, we added a timer to the heater for only those demand hours we wanted. This saves nicely on electricity for the heater.

Good luck. It's the right decision.

Old 06-27-2014, 09:50 AM

Unfortunately, my MB has two pedestal sinks and I need them right now. I have enough space in between sinks to place a cabinet, which the pump would be installed inside. Not sure if that would be the best place at this moment cause I would have to modify the MB. Thought it might be less money to put the pump in the garage 20' closer to MB and that would help a lot. But that may not be the case.

Thanks for your input MA!

Old 06-27-2014, 10:11 AM

1,646 posts, read 3,026,543 times
I have the opposite problem. The house was re-plumbed with cpvc in the attic, and the hot attic heats the water in the pipes. So I get instant hot water but have to wait for cold water in my MB. Eh, I can live with it. What's the rush?

Old 06-27-2014, 10:38 AM

My cold water comes out hot at first then goes to warm to less warm. What is this cold water you speak about HarborRat?

Old 06-28-2014, 08:49 PM

5,173 posts, read 4,945,353 times
Just a recirculating pump on its own will do no good without running a new water line to create a loop in the plumbing. I use a Metlund D'MAND system recirculating pump in our house. It only recirculates the water when you want via a push button on the cabinet. The hot water recirculates back into the cold water pipe until the pump senses hot water at which point it shuts off. It can also be rigged with a motion sensor so that it activates upon someone walking into the bathroom (I use the push button). Works like a charm.

Old 06-28-2014, 10:23 PM

Metlund D'MAND is an interesting system to use. I was looking for an easy fix and it looks like there is none.

I have never experienced such a long wait time before for hot water. In all the other homes I have lived, the hot water heater was usually somewhere in the middle of the house, not at one end of the house.

Old 06-29-2014, 05:52 AM

5,173 posts, read 4,945,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida or Bust.... View Post
Metlund D'MAND is an interesting system to use. I was looking for an easy fix and it looks like there is none.

I have never experienced such a long wait time before for hot water. In all the other homes I have lived, the hot water heater was usually somewhere in the middle of the house, not at one end of the house.
The Metlund system is about the easiest to install as long as you have an electrical outlet nearby and a place under the sink to hide the pump. I have a base cabinet and extended an electric line down from the outlet over the vanity to a new outlet in the base cabinet. The pump itself plumbs into the existing hot and cold water lines with "T" fittings. My activation switch (a small push button) is on the side of the vanity, out of sight.

One benifit I like with the system is that since it circulates the water from the hot water line into the cold water line, there is no waste of water going down the drain. Sure beats running the shower for a few minutes to get hot water!

Old 07-07-2014, 10:16 AM

463 posts, read 866,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida or Bust.... View Post
My hot water heater is in my garage on the outside wall on one side of the house. The master bathroom is on the other end of the house. It takes so long to get hot water to my master bathroom. I was told I could use a recirculating pump, but I am unsure on where in the house this would usually be installed, if it can be at all.

I was thinking to install pump on an inside wall of the garage which would be approx 20' closer to the bathroom. Would that correct the problem?

Did anyone else have this issue?

We had the same problem in our house. Replaced the water heater and now we have almost instant hot water even in the masterbath all the way at the opposite end of the house as the heater. English language is all messed up, who needs a hot water heater it should be a cold water heater.

Old 07-09-2014, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcozad1 View Post
We had the same problem in our house. Replaced the water heater and now we have almost instant hot water even in the masterbath all the way at the opposite end of the house as the heater. English language is all messed up, who needs a hot water heater it should be a cold water heater.
That is also a probability why I am having a problem, since my water heater has many years on it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte