Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2019, 03:40 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,539,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchonodinero View Post
How long is your "pool season"? Does a solar heater extend the season?
We have a private pool in our subdivision, and is usually scheduled to open around Memorial Day; then it gets closed around September 10th or so. Are you referring to wanting a pool of your own? I doubt that solar heaters would extend the season much. Public pools close right around the time school starts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2019, 04:56 PM

1,438 posts, read 1,963,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchonodinero View Post
How long is your "pool season"? Does a solar heater extend the season?
As I recall, there are a couple of really good threads on here re pool heating, if you can find them. When it starts getting cooler at night, a solar heater really can’t keep up. I would guess it extends the season about a month on either end. All depends on your temperature tolerance. We have a big electric heater, and we turn it off Jan-Feb; the pool doesn’t get back up to temp until dinnertime, and the electric bill is kind of a nosebleed.

Old 10-14-2019, 10:16 AM

3,179 posts, read 6,000,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
We have a private pool in our subdivision, and is usually scheduled to open around Memorial Day; then it gets closed around September 10th or so. Are you referring to wanting a pool of your own? I doubt that solar heaters would extend the season much. Public pools close right around the time school starts.
QC, are you referring to North Carolina?? Because down here, public pools don't close. Our county pools are open year-round. So are community pools (the snowbirds would be pretty upset if their pools were closed while they were here for the winter)

Old 10-14-2019, 10:23 AM

For any type of heater, a good-quality pool cover is an absolute necessity. During winter months, a pool can lose 15 degrees or more uncovered. 5-7 degrees heat loss with a cover used.
Solar is not great in winter simply because of the lower angle of the sun (it's not directely overhead) and the significant loss of good daylight heating hours. BUT, if you can tolerate 78-80 degree water, solar will do fine if facing S-SW. I use my solar in the spring & fall to maintain around 88-90 degrees. Winter I turn the electric heater on for the spa occasionally, but only heat the pool if we have guests down or our son has friends over on a weekend.
We have friends that come down only occasionally and they have the pump/heater on all night so it's 98 degrees in the morning when they wake up. Steam bath on a 50 degree morning!

Old 10-15-2019, 05:44 PM

5,818 posts, read 12,624,105 times
October 15th. Pool is 87 degrees, not bad.

Old 10-24-2019, 06:22 PM

1,151 posts, read 616,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
We’re having a pool heat pump installed on our new pool build. Our understanding is that you need it 3 or 4 months a year in FL and it costs about $1 a day to operate. I can live with that.

Old 10-26-2019, 06:14 PM

79 posts, read 106,163 times
After our recent visit to Punta Gorda, talked with several home owners and builders and yes, they are using heat pumps. One owner said he turns it up to 90 at times. I'll swim as low as 74 and that is it-has to be sunny out.

Old 10-27-2019, 02:36 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,822,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stank1964 View Post
We’re having a pool heat pump installed on our new pool build. Our understanding is that you need it 3 or 4 months a year in FL and it costs about $1 a day to operate. I can live with that.
For us 2-3 months is the max, but I want to know “who” has a heat pump that only costs $1 per day ????

Old 10-28-2019, 04:05 PM

39 posts, read 44,638 times
I googled this FWIW:

What would it cost to heat my pool with a standard fossil fuel heater?

There are approximately 800,000 swimming pools (including above-ground) in Florida, and most of them must be heated during the cooler months to maintain comfortable swimming conditions. An unheated pool will stay generally at about the average outdoor temperature, which may be as low as 53°F in north Florida in winter. For the typical user, comfortable pool water temperatures are 78°F to 82°F in spring and fall and 76°F to 78°F in winter.

Average yearly cost for heating a residential pool in Florida is $1,450 using electrical resistance (electricity at $0.09/kWh), $500 using an electric heat pump and $580 using natural gas. Liquid propane would cost the same as electrical resistance.

For Pools - Q&A

Old 10-30-2019, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaRay35 View Post
For us 2-3 months is the max, but I want to know “who” has a heat pump that only costs $1 per day ????
Maybe they have a 4" thick insulated pool cover, lol
I think the $1/day claim is simply an advertisement to sell more heaters. I'ts not realistic at all
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte