Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2014, 10:15 AM

3,179 posts, read 6,002,426 times

Advertisements

We went with bronze when we built the pool at our PC house in 2010. Unfortunately, even the paint is now so damn cheap that it was flaking off after one year! Pool builder contacted the aluminum contractor, who wouldn't even come look at it. Simply said "no warranty on paint". I didn't pursue it since we sold soon after. The new Englewood house has a 2006 white cage and so far it's still clean, but I know it'll eventually need a good scrubbing from the mildew stains. Not looking forward to that. Screws are all rusted & staining. I'll need to replace those soon. Gotta love cost-cutting on materials... no way around it unfortunately, and they KNOW IT!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2014, 10:29 AM

5,172 posts, read 4,945,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbor Hopper View Post
.... Screws are all rusted & staining. I'll need to replace those soon. Gotta love cost-cutting on materials... no way around it unfortunately, and they KNOW IT!
Homeowner: "The screws on my lanai cage are all rusting."
Contractor: "They're not covered by warranty but we'll gladly come out and replace them for (insert exaggerated price here)."
Job security.

Old 12-31-2014, 01:23 PM

1,973 posts, read 2,273,662 times
Most of the screws are easy R&R.. Home Depot sells some nice kits or you can buy them direct etc etc. I did the top of the Cage ( lateral supports) when we rescreened.. I am still not 100 % done but those remaining can be done from the ground or with a 6'ft. ladder I used the screws with the Nylon Heads that need a special ( $3) Driver for your battery drill .. : )

Old 12-31-2014, 01:43 PM

1,646 posts, read 3,026,543 times
You guys are lucky. I have the old bare aluminum colored Lanai posts. And the windows. Impossible to keep clean and looks old. I thought about coating them with some bronze/black colored truck bedliner type paint next time I re-screen.

Old 12-31-2014, 02:30 PM

ONLY IMHO.... but I wouldnt look to use bed liner or at least not on the outside with the spline grooves.. I think I would use a foam roller or a HVLP maybe a DeVilbiss touch up gun with an 8 oz cup.. issue is bonding.. R&M makes a good quality aluminum primer that would work. I have thought about it but I havent asked any of my old Custom Paint buddies about what I should do.. I dont want it comoing off the first time I High Pressure Spray.. Years ago doing custom cars I had issues with AL. Hoods.. and I dont remember FOR SURE what I used for the primer.. I think it was R&M..
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarborRat View Post
You guys are lucky. I have the old bare aluminum colored Lanai posts. And the windows. Impossible to keep clean and looks old. I thought about coating them with some bronze/black colored truck bedliner type paint next time I re-screen.

Old 12-31-2014, 02:54 PM

1,646 posts, read 3,026,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macgregorsailor51 View Post
ONLY IMHO.... but I wouldnt look to use bed liner or at least not on the outside with the spline grooves.. I think I would use a foam roller or a HVLP maybe a DeVilbiss touch up gun with an 8 oz cup.. issue is bonding.. R&M makes a good quality aluminum primer that would work. I have thought about it but I havent asked any of my old Custom Paint buddies about what I should do.. I dont want it comoing off the first time I High Pressure Spray.. Years ago doing custom cars I had issues with AL. Hoods.. and I dont remember FOR SURE what I used for the primer.. I think it was R&M..
Thanks Mac. Yeah I have an HVLP or two for auto body work and also some good airless sprayers but was planning to use the small foam rollers made for smooth cabinet type stuff. I would put an old spline in the grove and/or tape them off first (maybe modeling clay instead?) so the grove doesn't get filled up with paint. It would be a PITA project for sure. I did find the right color bedliner paint without the grit, and it says it self-etches to aluminum so I don't think I'd use a primer at all. Done right it would probably outlast the cheap anodizing or paint they use now on the bronze factory beams...done wrong it will be a complete tear-down though!

Old 12-31-2014, 10:53 PM

1,268 posts, read 3,000,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheriC View Post
The rule of thumb is to use the same color pool cage as your windows, so they probably went with white again to match the windows. The bronze gets just as dirty but you can't see it. One power a wash a year should keep the white cage looking clean.
This used to be the rule, but we are seeing more people doing bronze cages with white windows. Bronze shows the dirt less and "disappears" where the white cage stands out.

Old 01-01-2015, 03:06 AM

1,581 posts, read 3,373,994 times
Our cage was done by absolute and all the screw heads are covered with caps so there is no rusting. Of course we paid a little extra for the upgraded screws and caps. These can be purchased at lowes I believe if you want to DIY.

Old 01-01-2015, 08:07 AM

Yes and its one of no less than two options .. Snap Caps that are just that a plastic cap that snaps on the heads or you can buy the screws ( what we did ) that have a "nylon" head built onto the screw and no metal is exposed. Snap Caps are VERY reasonable on line..
Quote:
Originally Posted by nphomeowner View Post
Our cage was done by absolute and all the screw heads are covered with caps so there is no rusting. Of course we paid a little extra for the upgraded screws and caps. These can be purchased at lowes I believe if you want to DIY.

Old 01-01-2015, 05:23 PM

434 posts, read 530,699 times
I've always figured I would get mine in a medium gray. Or maybe some sort of gray blue color that washes out against the sky a bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte