Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2015, 08:13 PM

1,721 posts, read 2,787,772 times

Advertisements

the planned new bridge hights for spring lake east spring lake and sunrise bridges ;

The proposed bridge design slightly raises the clearance at each bridge. However, they will not accommodate larger or taller boats than they do now.

The proposed West Spring Lake bridge will have a Bottom of Bridge Elevation at the Mid-Channel at 12.3 feet, which means the bottom of the bridge will be 12.3 feet above the zero elevation (i.e., sea level) established by the US Geodetic Survey. Effectively the proposed Vertical Clearance from Mean High Water (MHW) will be 11.1 feet versus the existing Vertical Clearance from MHW, which is about 10.6 feet, an increase of about 0.5 feet or about 6 inches. The horizontal clearance at Mid-Channel between faces of bridge support will be 32'-6"

The proposed East Spring Lake bridge will have a Bottom of Bridge Elevation at the Mid-Channel at 12.5 feet, which means the bottom of the bridge will be 12.5 feet above the zero elevation established by the US Geodetic Survey. Effectively the proposed Vertical Clearance from Mean High Water (MHW) will be 11.2 feet versus the existing Vertical Clearance from MHW, which is about 10.5 feet, an increase of about 0.6 feet or about 7 inches. 'The horizontal clearance at Mid-Channel between the bridge supports will be 32'-6".

The proposed Sunrise Waterway Bridge will have a Bottom of Bridge Elevation at the Mid-Channel at 11.6 feet, which means the bottom of the bridge will be 11.6 feet above the zero elevation established by the US Geodetic Survey. Effectively the proposed Vertical Clearance from Mean High Water (MHW) will be 10.4 feet versus the existing Vertical Clearance from MHW, which is about 8.9 feet, an increase of about 1.5 feet or about 18 inches.'The horizontal clearance at Mid-Channel between the bridge supports will be 32'-6"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2015, 05:52 AM

5,173 posts, read 4,947,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM8560 View Post
the planned new bridge hights for spring lake east spring lake and sunrise bridges ;

The proposed bridge design slightly raises the clearance at each bridge. However, they will not accommodate larger or taller boats than they do now.
So do they plan to raise the water level accordingly?? Only a Guberment official could come up with a statement like that. Albeit, they won't accommodate a much taller boat.

Seems a waste to spend all the time, effort, and $$ putting in new bridges and raise them only 6, 7, and 18 inches respectively (although at least the 18" raise is a respectable amount). I understand the whole "angle of approach" thing for the roadway. Just saying it may have been worth it for the boaters with no inconvenience to the motorists.

Old 03-02-2015, 07:02 AM

I only see 8' at my bridge mike. As long as the new hardtop fit im happy. They do want 4 lanes too.

Old 03-02-2015, 11:10 AM

3,179 posts, read 6,004,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikMal View Post
Seems a waste to spend all the time, effort, and $$ putting in new bridges and raise them only 6, 7, and 18 inches respectively (although at least the 18" raise is a respectable amount). I understand the whole "angle of approach" thing for the roadway. Just saying it may have been worth it for the boaters with no inconvenience to the motorists.
I posed this question to the engineers and officials years ago when the bridge heights were announced and was told that a taller bridge would require the county to purchase more property for the approach on each side of the bridge (apparently they're no longer allowed to make drastic bridge approaches like you see along Marion in Punta Gorda). Since all of the bridges have homes adjacent the bridge, it would be too costly to buy them all just to increase the heights a couple more feet.

Old 03-02-2015, 11:31 AM

I wonder why they didn't consider retaining walls along the sides of the approaches? Seems it would have been cheaper than buying additional properties yet still achieve the higher bridges. I guess thinking like that is why I wasn't a highway engineer!

Old 03-02-2015, 05:36 PM

3,179 posts, read 6,004,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikMal View Post
I wonder why they didn't consider retaining walls along the sides of the approaches? Seems it would have been cheaper than buying additional properties yet still achieve the higher bridges. I guess thinking like that is why I wasn't a highway engineer!
They can't put up huge walls next to an existing home. This would significantly devalue the home and the gov't can't legally do this. Their only option is eminent domain, which like I said, would be too expensive just to add a couple of feet

Old 03-02-2015, 07:53 PM

due to the increased approache hight at sunrise Carlisle will be a culdesac .

host images

Old 03-02-2015, 08:13 PM

Old 03-03-2015, 04:26 AM

What's that going to be south of Carlisle; a retention pond or some kind of park (or both)?

Old 03-03-2015, 10:44 AM

It said it was a expansion of sunrise park mike and a pond

SodewAlk and gazeebo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte