Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2015, 03:51 PM

5,818 posts, read 12,632,212 times

Advertisements

Why would you not want something for free that reduces or eliminates your electric bill?

Worried about leaks, roof, insurance, replacement costs, hurricanes, maintenance, critters making nests under the panels etc!!! If it was a great deal every house in the area would have it. Now they ring your bell, call you, flood facebook with it, mail you things etc. These are some of the reasons I wouldn't want it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2015, 04:02 PM

747 posts, read 1,013,339 times
Az99: if the panels are leased, the lease may not be able to be assigned--and moreover, new buyers may not want them. If you're a seller of the home early on in the leased panel lifecycle, you could be put in a real jam.

Here's some additional clarity on that:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/reales...506_story.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by az99 View Post
You may not be alone but I bet you are surely in the minority. Why would you not want something for free that reduces or eliminates your electric bill?

Old 05-26-2015, 05:11 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,827,335 times
Unfortunately nothing in life is free!

Old 05-27-2015, 05:47 AM

281 posts, read 406,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
Why would you not want something for free that reduces or eliminates your electric bill?

Worried about leaks, roof, insurance, replacement costs, hurricanes, maintenance, critters making nests under the panels etc!!! If it was a great deal every house in the area would have it. Now they ring your bell, call you, flood facebook with it, mail you things etc. These are some of the reasons I wouldn't want it.
I have had solar since 2009. I have had none of the problems you are worried about.

Not everyone has it because not many can afford the sizable up front cost even after the rebates.

Anyone that leased solar is a fool. A leasing co. is not in business to lose money.

Not trying to convince you to run out and get solar. Just pointing out that some things you have been told may be exaggerated.

Old 05-27-2015, 06:49 AM

5,818 posts, read 12,632,212 times
Default Not trying to convince you to run out and get solar.

Same here. I've been on these forums for quite some time and I've never seen someone posting in a city or state section and start off there question by stating "Looking for a house with solar" in name your town. It's usually looking for a house with good schools, waterfront, close to the beaches, transportation, ranch style, 55 and over, with or without HOA and so forth. There's a few realtors maybe they can answer if they have customers "Looking for solar". My view is in this area(Charlotte County) there is a predominantly elderly population that couldn't and doesn't want to be bothered with solar. Maybe I'm wrong but that's my take.

Old 05-27-2015, 09:21 AM

2,202 posts, read 2,306,199 times
We bought our PGI home in March. It has solar pool water preheater and solar hot water preheater. They work great.

Our home had PV panels at some point but they had been removed before we bought the house.

Mike

Old 05-30-2015, 04:16 PM

1 posts, read 623 times
I live in CA and installed a 3.6KW system on my roof by myself. The only help I had was the internet and someone to hand me panels while I was on the roof and help lifting the inverter to mount on the wall. The installation is not that hard. I am not a contractor, but a civil engineer. I found the state grant and permit paperwork to be the difficult part of the job. I bought the basic kit from a place in Florida over the internet and it was shipped to my house for a total of $26K. I spent another $1K on conduit, some wiring, and changing my service panel (not typically required). Doing it myself made my payback period to be 5 years. It produces more then 100% of my electrical use. I get about $200 credit towards my gas bill to reimburse me for overproducing power back to the grid.

I would say it probably isnt worth it if you pay a contractor. If you are reasonably handy, do it yourself. BTW, it helps to have a simple asphalt shinge roof with a south facing direction and no shade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte