Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2015, 05:49 AM

180 posts, read 262,691 times

Advertisements

My DW and I was down to check on our rental house in NP a couple of weeks ago. While we were down there we met a friend for dinner who lives near Punta Gorda. Having never been to PG before we decided to drive down in the afternoon to explore the area before dinner. What a great town!!

We found a bakery and decided to stop in and look it over. The gal running the place asked us where were from. We told her and said were checking on our rental in NP. She said we picked a great place to buy and wished PG would do more things like NP as far as businesses go and that NP was the best place in the area to live at this time in terms of growth, crime and overall living.

We were appreciative of her comments but didn't think too much about them until we went to a place called Fisherman's Village (which the DW loved). We heard nearly identical comments from two other businesses in there. We had a hard time grasping that since we liked PG so much and intend on making regular trips there when we start snow birding. The DW loved the idea of buying fresh shrimp right off of the boat and all of the unique shops located there.

Are businesses having that hard of a time making it there? Like I said, from what I could see PG is a great town and we intend on visiting it on a regular basis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2015, 01:20 PM

2,202 posts, read 2,304,779 times
Interesting. We bought in PG Isles in March (not full time yet).

Old 06-12-2015, 01:35 PM

1,917 posts, read 2,632,310 times
I'm guessing that their comments have to do with the difference in the populations.

I believe North Port has a higher percentage of year-round residents than Punta Gorda making it a better business environment during the summer months snowbirds are up north.

The other thing is, The grass is always greener on the other side.

It makes me wonder why they wouldn't open their businesses in North port

Gary

Old 06-12-2015, 06:30 PM

3,930 posts, read 6,446,599 times
Agree that North Port is a 'younger' city, with a lot of new development as well as Venice which is adjacent. Outgrowth of Sarasota.

When you look at the attitude of Punta Gorda for new businesses vs North Port, you can see the difference. PG has a vacant structure now with Subway moving out because it does not seem to understand business attraction. Sadly, the same thing can be seen about Charlotte County.

Old 06-12-2015, 06:39 PM

5,818 posts, read 12,628,316 times
Funny thing. Just got back from Hurricane Charlies in Punta Gorda. It was packed with a wait for a table. They had live music. Sat next to a couple from North Port. They said theres nothing to do there and came to Punta Gorda for the live entertainment. Go figure.

Old 06-13-2015, 02:28 AM

1,581 posts, read 3,374,769 times
We go out of NP for live entertainment also but it's such a short drive to mostly anywhere from here so it's not a big deal. We love NP and are very glad we settled here.

Old 06-13-2015, 06:04 AM

3,979 posts, read 10,552,117 times
North Port has seen a tremendous growth in retail businesses since Cocoplum Village Shops was developed. It attracts a lot of shoppers to the area and other businesses have started up around it such as Aldi and a new Kia dealership is coming in.

Punta Gorda is trying to attract businesses to a commercial building near the Airport. Cheney Brothers is currently being built in Punta Gorda.

If you want to know more about business development in each area go to the Economic Development web sites.

North Port - City of North Port, FL : Economic Development

Punta Gorda - City of Punta Gorda Florida

It really depends on what kind of lifestyle you are looking for and what types of things you like to do. Punta Gorda has the waterways (canals, the Harbor, Peace River) and there are always downtown events and events at Gilchrist Park and Laishley Park. As far as entertainment and night life there is more in Punta Gorda. As far as shopping, being closer to the beaches, and activities for school aged children, North Port has more to offer.

Old 09-24-2015, 07:58 PM

296 posts, read 319,492 times
Tam, I am trying to figure out the differences between the two cities, so bear with me.....Are the two cities not like 14 miles apart, and both are about 20 mins to beach? IOW if you lived in either town its only a few min drive to get to what you are looking for?

We are not sure between NP, PG or even PC for that matter, (to move).

Old 09-25-2015, 05:43 AM

2,609 posts, read 2,824,892 times
PG is more like 40 minutes to the beach.

Old 09-25-2015, 05:44 AM

7,511 posts, read 22,925,572 times
I think you need to come and check out each area for yourself. Even though they are close in proximity, they are very different in architecture, government, etc. I moved from Port Charlotte to North Port when my kids were small because of the schools. I don't if that's a concern or not for you. Things I consider when suggesting a certain area are schools (if that is a concern or not), lifestyle (if you are in PG or PC you are 30-45 minutes from the beaches but the waterfront property is very reasonable in those areas). North Port has very reasonably priced property for being in Sarasota county but not much waterfront and most does not have gulf access. Again, it depends on what things are important to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte