Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2015, 09:55 AM

1,438 posts, read 1,965,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
I wouldn't do it. Don't know how much meat you have frozen but it looks like you have a month to close. Have a party and eat it or donate it. I was just down there for 17 days getting a dock and lift installed, it's 94/95 degrees everyday with a real feel temp from 105/110 plus EVERYDAY. It's like an oven.
More like a clam steamer - an oven is pretty dry :-)))
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2015, 09:59 AM

1,393 posts, read 1,554,660 times
My bad - I guess I should have explained further - I must have figured that because I knew what I meant - you all would.

ok, here's the deal - we've been whittling down what's in the freezer as much as possible. There's still going to be some expensive meats and fish left.

We're headed down 7/18 and moving in on 7/21 so it would only be in coolers for a couple of days and on dry ice.

I'm talking about maybe two 50 quart coolers tops which would cost less than a hundred bucks in dry ice. And, there will be two refrigerators with freezers running when we arrive. Closing is on 7/20 and move in starts at 7:00am 7/21

I really wasn't fishing for how to move meat in coolers, I thought folks who may have already done such a thing had alternative solutions. We can't be the first people in the world doing this but I do thank you all for the replies. I need to be more descriptive...

Old 06-22-2015, 10:07 AM

1,823 posts, read 2,277,820 times
How about hauling down the large freezer on a trailer with a gasoline electric generator. You could keep refilling the gasoline electric generator every 6 to 8 hours, keeping the freezer running for three days. Maybe you already own an electric generator. You'll need the electric generator for when you have electrical power outages to keep your freezer running.

Old 06-22-2015, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davephan View Post
How about hauling down the large freezer on a trailer with a gasoline electric generator. You could keep refilling the gasoline electric generator every 6 to 8 hours, keeping the freezer running for three days. Maybe you already own an electric generator. You'll need the electric generator for when you have electrical power outages to keep your freezer running.
Actually not a bad idea but probably illegal somehow running a generator while tied down in a trailer.

We do have a utility trailer that we're bringing and probably a Honda Inverter which runs for 14 hours on 4 gallons of gas. Innovative as all get out though! May have to investigate that.

Old 06-22-2015, 10:15 AM

1,646 posts, read 3,027,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03bluecoupe View Post
...alternative solutions. ......

Bring it to your butcher and have him store it his freezer until you are settled in, then he can ship it to you however he normally ships or receives his meat.

Or just sell it to him for half price and buy new when you get here

Old 06-22-2015, 10:18 AM

1,646 posts, read 3,027,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davephan View Post
I'm not sure how the liquid refrigerant will take to being bounced down the road.

I'd ice up the freezer and just plug it in overnight, assuming you will be stopping to rest.

Old 06-22-2015, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarborRat View Post
Bring it to your butcher and have him store it his freezer until you are settled in, then he can ship it to you however he normally ships or receives his meat.

Or just sell it to him for half price and buy new when you get here
Custom butchered local beef. I did price shipping frozen - OUCH.

I think what's realistically going to happen is we'll use what we can in the next few weeks, load the coolers with the best cuts on dry ice and give the rest to the local Feed The Hungry chapter and take a tax write-off on the donation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte