Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2015, 08:33 PM

2 posts, read 2,884 times

Advertisements

Lemon Bay Street and Drainage tax increase meeting, Thursday, 07/23/15, 5pm, Tringali Center, Englewood
The following is a re-post of a previous well-written submission to this forum:

"I received a public hearing notice from our lovely county. Seems they have found an easy way to tax us more that doesn't require a public vote! This time it's a 10yr MSBU assessment for "37.5 miles of road resurfacing & sustaining the current level of maintenance" What a freaking joke! This should NOT be a new tax assessment! These crooks can't balance a budget to save their lives! Here's the best part: The taxed amount is going on the existing "Lemon Bay Street & Drainage" assessment, which is currently $30/yr. The proposed amount will increase to $249.00!!!! That's an 830% increase!!!!

Please, if you live in Englewood or the surrounding area and are affected by this atrocity, let your voice be heard at the ONLY public hearing. 5:00pm July 23rd at the Tringali Center, 3460 Access Rd in Englewood. If only a handful of folks show up to oppose it, the BOCC will unanimously vote in favor and WE will all pay for the next 10 years minimum, at which point they WILL extend it infinitely"

I took the liberty of re-posting this gentleman's comments and concerns to keep this topic in front of us and inform new readers of the issue at hand.

All "Lemon Bay Street and Drainage Unit" taxpayers are urged to attend this meeting to voice your opposition to this incredible increase in our taxes. This is our chance to take a stand against unnecessary government spending at our expense!! Our roads are in fine condition and serve us well as is. No need to fix what is
not broken.

Write letters to the commissioners voicing your concerns, even if you plan to attend the meeting. Our actions let them know we take this tax increase seriously and are not in favor of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2015, 08:43 AM

3,930 posts, read 6,446,599 times
There is a charter review board currently looking at the charter, done every 10 years. Find out where it meets and show up. Time to force voter approval of these ungodly assessments, because their is no current limitations on the imposition.

Old 07-11-2015, 09:45 AM

5,818 posts, read 12,628,316 times
Public Works

MSBU/MSTU's

MSBU/MSTU FAQs | Meetings | District Map | List of MSBU/MSTU's | Volunteer Application
Lemon Bay Street and Drainage

Map Details of the District

I pulled this off of the Charlotte County website as I was looking to see who is affected. It has the district map option that has the streets that fall into this area.

Old 07-12-2015, 09:14 AM

1,217 posts, read 2,836,684 times
Thanks so much for posting this. I got the notice in the mail and went "Whaaaaaat???". I had planned to talk to neighbors about it but the heat keeps many off the streets. It seems unreasonably high, especially for people on a fixed income. I imagine most who got it did not read it and if they did, did not understand it. Completely ridiculous in my opinion.

Old 07-12-2015, 12:26 PM

14,950 posts, read 12,153,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagardener View Post
Thanks so much for posting this. I got the notice in the mail and went "Whaaaaaat???". I had planned to talk to neighbors about it but the heat keeps many off the streets. It seems unreasonably high, especially for people on a fixed income. I imagine most who got it did not read it and if they did, did not understand it. Completely ridiculous in my opinion.
Make note of the meeting times posted in that letter, make your neighbors aware of it, and go with a bunch of them to the meeting to ask your questions, voice your comments and concerns, get an accounting of just what the county plans to do with that money and why the exponential increase in assessments. I'd suggest waitin g till evening and going door to door to speak to your neighbors about this. The officers in our neighborhood social club (Peace River Shores, another MSBU district) sent out an email to all its members here in regards to the notice we got, and as many of us as are able plan to attend the meeting scheduled for our area. There are a lot of unhappy people up in arms about this.

Old 07-13-2015, 07:28 AM

3,179 posts, read 6,004,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lavenderlady52 View Post
Lemon Bay Street and Drainage tax increase meeting, Thursday, 07/23/15, 5pm, Tringali Center, Englewood
The following is a re-post of a previous well-written submission to this forum:

"I received a public hearing notice from our lovely county. Seems they have found an easy way to tax us more that doesn't require a public vote! This time it's a 10yr MSBU assessment for "37.5 miles of road resurfacing & sustaining the current level of maintenance" What a freaking joke! This should NOT be a new tax assessment! These crooks can't balance a budget to save their lives! Here's the best part: The taxed amount is going on the existing "Lemon Bay Street & Drainage" assessment, which is currently $30/yr. The proposed amount will increase to $249.00!!!! That's an 830% increase!!!!

Please, if you live in Englewood or the surrounding area and are affected by this atrocity, let your voice be heard at the ONLY public hearing. 5:00pm July 23rd at the Tringali Center, 3460 Access Rd in Englewood. If only a handful of folks show up to oppose it, the BOCC will unanimously vote in favor and WE will all pay for the next 10 years minimum, at which point they WILL extend it infinitely"

I took the liberty of re-posting this gentleman's comments and concerns to keep this topic in front of us and inform new readers of the issue at hand.

All "Lemon Bay Street and Drainage Unit" taxpayers are urged to attend this meeting to voice your opposition to this incredible increase in our taxes. This is our chance to take a stand against unnecessary government spending at our expense!! Our roads are in fine condition and serve us well as is. No need to fix what is not broken. Write letters to the commissioners voicing your concerns, even if you plan to attend the meeting. Our actions let them know we take this tax increase seriously and are not in favor of it.
Here is the info for this MSBU increase. Completely unnecessary. I just can’t stand their abuse of the MSBU taxing system now. Charlotte Co is the most MSBU taxed county in the STATE! They abuse it to get around a public voting requirement. I drive our roads every day. There are VERY few that I would say need re-paving. As usual, it’s people trying to justify and keep their jobs. Paving should be paid out of the county-wide public works operating budget, NOT a special tax just to those living in the district.

I’m hopeful that people will overfill the building at the July 23rd meeting but if there’s one thing I’ve come to realize in the past 6 yrs living here, people can be lazy and want to complain about everything, but never act on anything. This is exactly what the county wants. If only a few people show up, it will be passed unanimously. Very sad and frustrating.
Lemon Bay Tax meeting, 07/23, 5 pm, Tringali Ctr, Englewood-lemon-bay-msbu.jpg

Lemon Bay Tax meeting, 07/23, 5 pm, Tringali Ctr, Englewood-lemon-bay-msbu2.jpg

Old 07-13-2015, 09:26 AM

5,818 posts, read 12,628,316 times
Default Msbu

I just counted them, there are over 50 MSBU districts. If the tax increase was on a county wide level many would be up in arms. But the county came up with this way of taxation. I wonder if that aspect was voted on.

We fall under the "Alligator Creek" district. So most folks that don't use it or don't live by Alligator Creek could care less. And the same could be said of the other 50 plus districts.

I wish you the best and remember "The squeaky wheel get the oil".

Old 07-13-2015, 09:32 AM

3,179 posts, read 6,004,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
I just counted them, there are over 50 MSBU districts. If the tax increase was on a county wide level many would be up in arms. But the county came up with this way of taxation. I wonder if that aspect was voted on.
Divide & conquer. that's how you get more tax revenue and our county officials are experts on it.

Old 07-20-2015, 08:19 AM

1 posts, read 1,428 times
I find it unbelievable that this "taxing" system even exists! Isn't it odd that these meetings always occur in the summer months when so very many of us snowbirds can't attend. We should put something on the next ballot that forces these thieves to hold meetings from November to May, then you'd see a turnout that would require an auditorium!

Old 07-22-2015, 05:48 AM

3,930 posts, read 6,446,599 times
A bunch of other MSBU hikes were rolled through yesterday per the Sun. Jump from $30-40 to over $300. And the county can't say where the previous mo ey went, as it wasn't spent on the paving that was the original purpose.

Just a way to add bucks to the general fund while not being subject to the ad valorum tax restrictions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte