Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2015, 05:23 AM

2 posts, read 2,833 times

Advertisements

We live off of Purple Martin Dr, and have fishing kayaks. I usually troll the mangroves near us, but would be interested in knowing what channel areas are the best for red snapper, drum, etc. not necessarily interested in snook and tarpon, but would welcome the opportunity.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2015, 07:18 AM

3,179 posts, read 6,000,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimandjoan View Post
We live off of Purple Martin Dr, and have fishing kayaks. I usually troll the mangroves near us, but would be interested in knowing what channel areas are the best for red snapper, drum, etc. not necessarily interested in snook and tarpon, but would welcome the opportunity.
Red Snapper?? Do you mean Redfish (Red Drum)? American Red Snapper are a reef fish, found offshore in the Gulf, whereas Redfish are found all over in the brackish water of Charlotte Harbor, mainly in the canals and grass flats.

Old 07-20-2015, 07:40 AM

2,202 posts, read 2,303,125 times
Outer canal to Ponce Inlet is supposed to be good. I bet the area around poachers cut is also good due to current flow...

Old 07-20-2015, 08:32 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,085,469 times
Quote:
You will mostly be catching mangrove snapper, which are good to eat. They have two very pointy front fang teeth, so be careful handling them. They look reddish, but are not red snapper as HH noted.

As you cruise out toward the harbor and around the edges (of the harbor) you will catch sea trout, sand trout, redfish (occasionally), snook (occasionally), grunts, amber jacks, sometimes Spanish mackerel, and others. Rarely will you catch Tarpon in the canals around you. Cast from your kayak to the shore line / tree line, and retrieve. The fish will come out and attack your bait. I use shrimp - everything eats shrimp. You out ponce inlet if you can travel that far, and along the inlet side (just before sunset), the snook migrate back in.

Good Luck!

Old 07-20-2015, 09:37 AM

Latest on PGI canals from FF:

Fishin Frank & Robert's report--07/15/15------ PGi is loaded with Tarpon
The Ponce channel has Black drum and Snappers, the fats moving water here iis cooler
so the fish hang out here,
The frozen Silver sides are the key for larger Snapper fishing here, Sinker rig and move it slightly every couple minutes

fishin franks Fishing report,a place by place fishing report with maps
...about 2/3 down the page...

Old 07-21-2015, 09:52 AM

Quote:
What inlet is closest to you? I looked on google earth and could not figure it out. Inlets are always good fishing spots due to the current flow (in and out, depending on water temp, clarity, etc). Also ambush points where there is a break in current due to an obstruction (on the bottom, or on a wall, etc).

Any small difference in bottom contour is important.

Can't wait till we are full timers...

Also I need to buy a kayak or two soon (we are down next Sept 2-8).

Mike G
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte