Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2015, 12:55 PM

13 posts, read 30,687 times

Advertisements

Hi all.. I currently live in upstate NY (Albany area). I am trying to get back into law enforcement. I was a correctional office in Massachusetts, and I moved to NY last year, because I got engaged. I have never lived down south. I grew up in MA my whole life until I moved to NY last year. I am getting sick and tired of the long drawn out winters, and I really love being near the ocean / coastline. Can anyone let me know the pros/cons of living in the Punta Gorda/ port charlotte area? Are there other towns/cities nearby that are also good areas to live? I know there is a correctional facility in Punta Gorda (florida DOC.)

-- Is this a good area of florida to live in?
-- How is the weather?
-- Are there good school systems? (no kids yet, but plan on it in the future.)
-- Is the night life good?
--Are there nice beaches in the area?
-- good restaurants?
--is is mostly older people / retirees? we are 29&31 years old.

** My fiance is not fond of the idea right now of moving down south. I would like to hear from people if they have moved from up north to the Florida area. Also, if you haven't lived up north, I'd still like to know how you like living in the area? It seems that their are some nice and newer homes in the area. Any advise would help a lot. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2015, 01:06 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,438,093 times
Area is mostly old farts, and not close to beaches. It is a safe area to live, night life is slim, limited number of good restaurants. Tampa / st. Pete area might be worth looking at and a better fit.

Old 10-08-2015, 01:08 PM

13 posts, read 30,687 times
I applied to Florida DOC, and that is why Punta gorda came into the picture. There is also a facility in Miami.. And Daytona Beach, and Panama City. I know all of these places are far apart from one another. And I have heard Tampa is beautiful and a fun place to live. Sorry to be all over the place in regards to locations. I am just trying to figure out the best option.

Old 10-08-2015, 01:50 PM

1,393 posts, read 1,552,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyedaman91 View Post
..... I am just trying to figure out the best option.
And previously
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyedaman91
** My fiance is not fond of the idea right now of moving down south.
Given the second quote - you're question is answered... you ain't goin' nowhere.

Old 10-08-2015, 02:24 PM

2,837 posts, read 2,693,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyedaman91 View Post
I applied to Florida DOC, and that is why Punta gorda came into the picture. There is also a facility in Miami.. And Daytona Beach, and Panama City. I know all of these places are far apart from one another. And I have heard Tampa is beautiful and a fun place to live. Sorry to be all over the place in regards to locations. I am just trying to figure out the best option.
How do the Florida DOC saleries compare to what you are used to up North?

Do you apply for any or all of the DOC institutions at once or for specific prisons?

The Panama City one will give you more of a varied weather lifestyle and still be a lot warmer than what you are used to. But not so tough on your mate.

I have to agree at your age Tampa would be better for you than Charlotte County area.

Old 10-08-2015, 04:55 PM

3,930 posts, read 6,440,844 times
Agree. Now Panama City can get downright cold when the wind comes in off the water in the winter, but nice place to live. Lots of nightlife, young folk there.

Old 10-08-2015, 05:40 PM

3,179 posts, read 5,999,012 times
My wife and I were 31 and 33 when we moved here from MI. We heard all the same BS I'm sure you're hearing. "it's god's waiting room; nothing but old people; everything sucks..." blah blah blah. And you know what? Most of the comments will be from people who have never given it a long-term shot! We've been here almost 7yrs now and still love it. We were in Port Charlotte for the first 5.5yrs and now Englewood. We have an (almost) 6yr old who is in Kindergarten. We would never consider moving back up north. We fly back a few times per year to visit.
If you need nightlife until 4am, this is not the place. But there are numerous fun local bars & pubs, most with live music. But the party's over by midnight for the most part.
If you need fast-paced hustling, this is not the place.
There are tons of restaurants in the area and surrounding towns.
Beaches are anywhere from 30-60 minutes away, depending on which one you choose to visit that day.
The weather is great, for some. We LOVE the heat & humidity. But we're also on the water a lot. It's pretty brutal from June-October. 92-95 and humid every single day with a short afternoon shower or two. Winter is generally mild. 60s on a cool day, but usually mid-70s. A 3-day cold front brings chilly northerly wind and overnight temps in the 30s, but it doesn't last long.
Come down for a week in the winter (busy season) and a week in the summer and see how you feel about it.

Old 10-09-2015, 06:05 AM

7,511 posts, read 22,914,037 times
I agree with what Harbor Hopper has said. I'm typing on my phone so I won't be able to link up other sites for reference but I thought I'd answer anyway.

The nightlife is actually pretty decent in PG. love Deans, Celtic Ray, TTs Tiki Bar and several others. It's neat because all are within walking distance. So, if you don't like the music or whatever is going on at one place, you can go to another. Im actually going to Deans tonight. Punta Gorda also has lots of non chain restaurants, which I like- Jacks, River City, Perfect Caper, etc

As far as schools go, I was born and raised in SW FL and have attended many of the schools as have my three kids. We moved from Charlotte county to Sarasota county when the kids were little for the schools. I personally prefer the Sarasota county school system.

I would suggest you check out North Port where the average age is 38 as opposed to PG where the average age is more than double your age. Punta Gorda is also an hour from the closest beach, which gets real old, real quick-if you like going to the beaches.

Before I got into real estate I worked in corrections for Sarasota county up on Main St. There is a prison in Charlotte county out at the end of Oil Well Rd. I have a few friends who work there and they seem to like it ok.

The weather is great here, IMO. It's hot in the summer and very pleasant in the winters

You didn't mention any hobbies or a price range. Can you share that with us so we can narrow down areas to recommend?

Old 10-09-2015, 06:09 AM

1,393 posts, read 1,552,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timbiriche View Post
If you are an elderly republican/tea bagger with backwards views on life,or a racist redneck that likes confederate flags and lifted up trucks, You'll be in heaven anywhere in South West Florida,coming from the North East you'll have a very hard time adapting to the backwardness down here.
Exactly! If you're a liberal, "give everything to me for free" kind of person - then you'd do much better in California, NY, Conn, Mass, etc...

Old 10-09-2015, 06:17 AM

2,609 posts, read 2,821,202 times
Some posts aren't even worth replying to lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte