Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2015, 08:05 AM

1,973 posts, read 2,273,662 times

Advertisements

Ya Think hahahaha
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaRay35 View Post
Might be best to ask these questions on Panama City page.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2015, 10:49 AM

3,440 posts, read 2,527,335 times
We haven't moved yet, a couple of years to go, so I can't advise from the perspective of a transplant, but given the variety of areas you're looking in, I suggest learning about the area a little better before getting too far into it. What I've found, in general, different parts of Florida has different personalities, the panhandle is kind of redneck country (not that there's anything wrong with that), east coast is congested and more metropolitan, central florida is very rural (except Orlando area), west coast is more suburban and laid back, the keys, well the keys are where you go to watch sunsets and get drunk (at least in Key West). We're going to be moving to the Rotonda area (just north of Punta Gorda), it's definitely got an older population, but there are young families there too, I think there are a lot of family things to do from sports (minor league bb team in Port Charlotte), to oval track racing, to bowling, to many public parks and pools, local concerts, nearby beaches, nature trails. So not just golf and shuffleboard. I would think once you find a community to your liking, if you get involved with it and get to know people, you'll find the lifestyle you enjoy and make friends with people of all ages. Good Luck!

Old 10-11-2015, 03:26 PM

O.P. I would heavily suggest, if at all possible, you come down and spend some time looking around at these very geographically socially economically differing location's.

Old 10-11-2015, 03:38 PM

1,393 posts, read 1,553,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macgregorsailor51 View Post
O.P. I would heavily suggest, if at all possible, you come down and spend some time looking around at these very geographically socially economically differing location's.
And you aren't gonna get ANY better advice than that! Everyone likes different things and kinds of places. You really have to spend some time and see the different areas in person. We *thought* we knew where we wanted to buy.... until we spent some time down here and visited different areas. Things *totally* changed after that.

Old 10-11-2015, 03:45 PM

13 posts, read 30,709 times
thanks for all this greaat advise. So, what other towns near Puntat Gorda are nice to live in? And I love the water.. I am still surprised the nearest beach is an hour away?.. And is living on Punta Gorda Isles the nearest to the water / having a water view?

Old 10-11-2015, 04:09 PM

We sold our home on Cozumel.. Bought 3 lots in a Gated Lake Community in NW IL. Looked on the Beach in and around Chelem and Chuburna Mexico we even looked around ( 3 trips) Table Rock Lake MO. and settled here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03bluecoupe View Post
And you aren't gonna get ANY better advice than that! Everyone likes different things and kinds of places. You really have to spend some time and see the different areas in person. We *thought* we knew where we wanted to buy.... until we spent some time down here and visited different areas. Things *totally* changed after that.

Old 10-11-2015, 04:14 PM

1,393 posts, read 1,553,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macgregorsailor51 View Post
We sold our home on Cozumel.. Bought 3 lots in a Gated Lake Community in NW IL. Looked on the Beach in and around Chelem and Chuburna Mexico we even looked around ( 3 trips) Table Rock Lake MO. and settled here.

You're a piece of...... work...

MUCH better than Mexico, and I'm not even gonna discuss Il. this time of year!

Old 10-11-2015, 04:19 PM

You need to look around down here and elsewhere .. There is Port Charlotte Beach Club... nice beach nice boat ramp nice public pool and nice picnic and fishing areas BUT Its NOT the Gulf.. BTW No where on this side less than 100 miles from shore is there clear water.. Its Not The Bahamas or Cozumel or Belize.. Its not even the Keys.. The water is wonderful though, and just so you know, boating can be expensive... Acronym B O A T = Bust Out Another Thousand.. Lots of water view homes here in Port Charlotte and in PGI and elsewhere , but for under $200K they tend to be few and far between .. But I hear and believe me its only HEAR... that you/some people, can and do catch lots of fish all through these canals..
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyedaman91 View Post
thanks for all this greaat advise. So, what other towns near Puntat Gorda are nice to live in? And I love the water.. I am still surprised the nearest beach is an hour away?.. And is living on Punta Gorda Isles the nearest to the water / having a water view?

Old 10-11-2015, 05:06 PM

2,837 posts, read 2,695,477 times
Quote:
I was able to apply to 2 facilities within the florida DOC. I didn't put all that muc thought of where i applied. I am able to change my choices though. It seems as though Punta Gorda has an older population..And I thought it was closer to the beaches. How is the weather in Panama City?...

Go to this site
Distance Calculator

I started you out on Panama City Beach. you can add other locations to get a feel for the distances. This is a handy site to keep in your computer.

As you can see Florida is a long skinny state and actually as wide at the top as it is long heading South. That means the weather is different as you go South. Panama City will actually have more noticeable Winter weather than Punta Gorda because down here the miles make a large difference in weather conditions.

The above site will also help you figure out beach distances throughout Florida.

My thinking on this end is that you need to experience Florida a lot more if you are considering moving here.

You could really resent the lost salary after you have resigned up there to work for about 65% down here.

Add the fact that your wife or significant other is not in favor of the move, you might want to give the whole adventure some more thought.

Florida is a great place but you should really understand what will change for you before you commit.

You need to take a couple years of vacations down here to get to know the place.

Good Luck.

Old 10-11-2015, 05:16 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,922,074 times
Quote:
Is it true that the beaches are an hour away in Punta Gorda? And it seems like a much older population? And as for the salaries.. Florida DOC doesn't pay very well.. Compared to up north, corrections in Massachusetts, I was making over 50K/year. Florida pays in the mid 30's to start. I think county jails and sheriffs dept/ Police make more money than Florida DOC. That is what i hear...
Trying to follow all of your posts. Yes, it's true that the beaches are nearly an hour away. Yes, PG, on average is around late 50's to early 60's. I think you'd have a hard time making it on 30K in PG, honestly-or even affording anything. I suggest you rent first, where ever you go. Then if you're not happy you can try another area.

I'm not a big fan of Panama Beach and certainly not Daytona. IMO, the beaches on the Atlantic side (Daytona) are just not that pretty. The sand is dark, the water is rough and much colder and New Smyrna Beach (15 miles south of Daytona) is known as the "shark capital of the world". You can literally sit in Ponce Inlet and watch the sharks swim around. As you can tell, I'm just not a big fan.

Can you transfer to the Tampa area? At least the beaches are OK there and there's the nightlife you're looking for and the average age 34.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte