Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2016, 03:59 AM

2,609 posts, read 2,822,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
I guess I should keep my gripes to myself, airing them does invite judgement by those unfamiliar with the history or context. In any case I am providing for her needs in every way I can and will do so as long as she is alive and I am able. It's more than she ever did for me or my siblings, and they cut ties with her long ago. 'Nuff said.

But I am glad your relationship with your mother has been a happy one.
Can understand your frustration, mine can be as well at 79, but unfortunately they are the only we have and we have to deal with it. Family can always be trying. I guess because I have lost 4 siblings to early deaths I look at things a little different. And yes I am unfamiliar with your situation and did not mean any disrespect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2016, 04:03 AM

2,609 posts, read 2,822,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Actually I am not sure you are correct about this either, at least not in FL. I say this because when I checked her voting registration information online about a week ago, it indicated that she was eligible to vote in Charlotte County, and her polling place indicated by her last address of record. It also stated she had NOT requested an absentee ballot for this election. I know she got an absentee ballot in 2012, apparently this was taken care of at that time by a friend of a friend of hers who worked in the elections office. Makes me think this must be requested specifically for every election, which makes the most sense to me. Otherwise, I think they'd lose control of the vote by mail process with all those absentee ballots floating around when people move, die, or make other arrangements to vote.
I'm not sure how it works. I started getting them over 10 years ago and continue to do so without asking again. My daughter started 3 years ago and still gets them. Again not sure why.

Old 10-27-2016, 08:24 AM

14,945 posts, read 12,143,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaRay35 View Post
Can understand your frustration, mine can be as well at 79, but unfortunately they are the only we have and we have to deal with it. Family can always be trying. I guess because I have lost 4 siblings to early deaths I look at things a little different. And yes I am unfamiliar with your situation and did not mean any disrespect.
You are right on there. And I'm fortunate in that my mother has no signs of dementia, or even senility, and can take care of her activities of daily living, as well as make her other needs ( and demands and whims) known to others so they can be accomodated as possible. Many have to deal with a lot more than I do in that regard.

I'm sorry for your loss of your siblings, what an awful burden to have to carry. I can see how that would make you want to hold on to your remaining loved ones with all you've got and appreciate every day you have with them. It's not the same thing, but my two sisters cut ties with me years ago ( and still want nothing to do with me or my family) over issues with my mother and I find that a source of grief, especially as we all get older.

So we do the best we can, and plug along, don't we?

Thanks for your kind response, and much peace and blessings to you and yours.

Old 10-27-2016, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaRay35 View Post
I'm not sure how it works. I started getting them over 10 years ago and continue to do so without asking again. My daughter started 3 years ago and still gets them. Again not sure why.
Wow, is that here in FL? I tried looking up the information online about getting absentee ballots automatically in years following the first request, but couldn't find anything saying yeay or nay. But now I am curious, so may just need to call the Supervisor of Elections office to see what they say.

If they do send subsequent year's absentee ballots automatically, I wonder if the reason my mother didn't get one, and didn't show online as having requested one this year is that apparently her "friend of a friend" who worked in the elections department brought my mother and her then boyfriend each a ballot in 2012 without their having to request it, so there is no request on record, that's just speculation. But there is definitely a comment on her online voter's registration saying that they have no records of her requesting an absentee ballot this year.

Hmmmm, wierd.....

Old 10-27-2016, 10:12 AM

2,837 posts, read 2,695,123 times
Travelassie, you got me curious to see how long my vote by mail status would last (already established).

I went to this site Charlotte County Supervisor of Elections > Home

I clicked on "Vote By Mail" and followed the directions.

I received this notice:

You are currently eligible to vote in Charlotte County.
You have a standing request to receive a
mail ballot for elections occurring on or before
Monday, December 31, 2018.

You will need to know your Mom's date of birth and the house number she was in when she registered.

Last edited by the searchers; 10-27-2016 at 10:24 AM..

Old 10-27-2016, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the searchers View Post
I went to this site Charlotte County Supervisor of Elections > Home

I clicked on "Vote By Mail" and followed the directions.

I received this notice:

You are currently eligible to vote in Charlotte County.
You have a standing request to receive a
mail ballot for elections occurring on or before
Monday, December 31, 2018.

You will need to know your Mom's date of birth and the house number she was in when she registered.
Thanks, that's good information. Did they send you that notice in the mail or was it online? I've never voted by mail, so didn't know how it worked for subsequent voting events, and I didn't know what the deadline was to get them, either. But I know my mother didn't get any notice or a ballot, but probably a couple reasons for that. She moved into an ALF but didn't notify them of a change in address, and her driver's license (her picture ID) expired at the end of September.

But I was able to check her voting eligibility here in Chzrlotte County (from her birthdate and last address of record), she is eligible to vote here. Fortunately she had the documentation she needed, so I took her to the DMV last week to get a FL ID card, ( she isn't driving anymore) and figured I will take her to vote early in PG next week. We will be out of town on election day so can't take her to vote at her polling place on election day.

Actually, she'd be disappointed at this point if she got a mail-in ballot, she enjoys the outing and we will combine it with lunch and shopping.

Thanks though, for the information.

Old 10-27-2016, 12:06 PM

2,837 posts, read 2,695,123 times
Charlotte County Supervisor of Elections > Home is a pretty handy site. Look at all your choices along the left side.

It has sample ballots for all the districts as well as maps for the districts too.

My ballot had a question about reelecting 13 judges on it. Difficult to do if you encounter their names for the first time while in the voting booth. They give you no background on their performance.

Old 10-27-2016, 01:51 PM

1,917 posts, read 2,630,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the searchers View Post
Charlotte County Supervisor of Elections > Home is a pretty handy site. Look at all your choices along the left side.

It has sample ballots for all the districts as well as maps for the districts too.

My ballot had a question about reelecting 13 judges on it. Difficult to do if you encounter their names for the first time while in the voting booth. They give you no background on their performance.
Not so difficult .....I voted them all out

If people really want change vote everyone out!

Gary

Old 10-27-2016, 03:51 PM

5,172 posts, read 4,943,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyGras View Post
Not so difficult .....I voted them all out

If people really want change vote everyone out!

Gary

Old 10-31-2016, 07:19 PM

2,118 posts, read 3,776,417 times
Headed to the library, first thing, tomorrow to cast my last vote as a FL resident.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: