Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2017, 05:31 PM

1,646 posts, read 3,027,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkaleka View Post
It has a 180 thermostat in it now and runs about 200-210.
Sounds perfect, but how hot does it get in traffic?

Quote:
I have a 160 thermostat sitting on my back seat, planned on installing it this spring.
Don't band-aid it.

Quote:
I replaced the stock fan with an 18" 6-blade steel fan with 1" spacer on a long neck water pump.
Is there a shroud? The shroud is a lot more important in traffic than most people think. Quality/pitch of this aftermarket fan? How far is it from the radiator? Assuming the spacer was added instead of the fan clutch?...Which would mean it must be a flex-fan (otherwise the solid blades would bend and cut through the radiator at higher rpms).

Quote:
Would changing the cam to a milder, less-rough idle help?
It would be a whole lot easier to fix the cooling problem .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2017, 07:56 AM

207 posts, read 260,887 times
Quote:
Hubby says: "Thanks for the info. I had a new stock radiator installed when the engine was rebuilt in 1995. Engine was bored .030 over. I put about 400 miles a year on the car now. It has a 180 thermostat in it now and runs about 200-210. I have a 160 thermostat sitting on my back seat, planned on installing it this spring. I replaced the stock fan with an 18" 6-blade steel fan with 1" spacer on a long neck water pump. I'm no mechanic, so moving to Florida is making me nervous. Would changing the cam to a milder, less-rough idle help? I have automatic transmission with TCI torque converter, I think with 3200 stall."
Don't change the cam. That is makes them sound like a muscle car. A 3200 stall converter will create a lot of heat. If your running the cooling lines back to the radiator, that sure is not helping your heat problem.

Being a car guy you will love it down here.

Old 05-26-2017, 11:29 AM

266 posts, read 271,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaNewbie2017 View Post
Don't change the cam. That is makes them sound like a muscle car. A 3200 stall converter will create a lot of heat. If your running the cooling lines back to the radiator, that sure is not helping your heat problem.

Being a car guy you will love it down here.
One recommendation is a transmission cooler instead of using the radiator to cool it, better for the transmission in the heat. You may want to play with the timing a bit to make sure you have the best tune/set up, even with the cam you should be able to run it at a good temp, unless you have something really radical in there. I agree with getting a shroud on it, very important addition.

Old 05-26-2017, 12:37 PM

Routing the trans lines through the radiator is pretty important to keep the trans temps consistent (not too hot, not too cold). A secondary trans cooler is always a plus, but it should be in series with the rad for the above reason. I guess a stand-alone cooler would work fine if it had a fan and was thermostatically controlled. Either way, the trans shouldn't (won't) be overheating the engine at near idle in traffic. <same with the stall speed.

The timing is a bit tricky with a hot cam. If it still has a distributor with vacuum and mechanical advance, the loopy idle (and low vacuum) can make the weights advance too early or flop back and forth. I usually just swapped to an electronic distributor. With either type, retarding the timing by half a degree or so usually lowers idle temp...IF you can't do it any other way.

Old 05-27-2017, 04:56 AM

207 posts, read 260,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarborRat View Post
Routing the trans lines through the radiator is pretty important to keep the trans temps consistent (not too hot, not too cold).
I doubt that too cold is a problem with a car down here that has a 3200 stall converter. Why is it important to keep trans temp consistent unless your bracket racing?

Old 05-27-2017, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaNewbie2017 View Post
I doubt that too cold is a problem with a car down here that has a 3200 stall converter. Why is it important to keep trans temp consistent unless your bracket racing?
No, he certainly won't have the too cold problem with that trans down here , but too hot may be a problem. Consistent temp is good for transmissions for the same reasons it's good for engines- tolerances change with temp swings (valve bodies, seals, pistons). Without the liquid to liquid cooler (the rad) you could see rapid swings from 120 to 240 degrees or more...that can't be good. Also, on newer electronically controlled transmissions if the temp drops too low shift points can change and the TC won't be allowed to lock.

Old 05-28-2017, 04:39 AM

92 posts, read 228,888 times
Thanks again to everyone who answered me back about engine temp. My car has a fan shroud and the distributor is a stock unit, but the points and condenser have been replaced with a electronic unit.

A couple of other questions: Does anyone have a recommendation for mechanics in the area who work on cars like mine? Has anyone used coolant additives such as Ice or Water Wetter and if so, how do they work out for you?

Old 05-28-2017, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarborRat View Post
Routing the trans lines through the radiator is pretty important to keep the trans temps consistent (not too hot, not too cold). A secondary trans cooler is always a plus, but it should be in series with the rad for the above reason. I guess a stand-alone cooler would work fine if it had a fan and was thermostatically controlled. Either way, the trans shouldn't (won't) be overheating the engine at near idle in traffic. <same with the stall speed.

The timing is a bit tricky with a hot cam. If it still has a distributor with vacuum and mechanical advance, the loopy idle (and low vacuum) can make the weights advance too early or flop back and forth. I usually just swapped to an electronic distributor. With either type, retarding the timing by half a degree or so usually lowers idle temp...IF you can't do it any other way.
I agree and my response wasnt worded well I always run the trans cooler routed in series with the radiator, also meant to protect the transmission, not necessary help with engine cooling.

Old 05-28-2017, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Thanks again to everyone who answered me back about engine temp. My car has a fan shroud and the distributor is a stock unit, but the points and condenser have been replaced with a electronic unit.

A couple of other questions: Does anyone have a recommendation for mechanics in the area who work on cars like mine? Has anyone used coolant additives such as Ice or Water Wetter and if so, how do they work out for you?
Sounds like you are running a Petronix unit, I've had good luck with those. I know a good muscle car guy in Daytona, but nothing In your immediate area. Go to a few cruise ins and talk to locals or join a reputable car club I the area, car guys are usually a close knit group that help each other out.

If you want a nice drive sometime, New Smyrna Beach has a fun cruise, its one Saturday a month on Canal Street, usually a nice turnout.

Old 05-28-2017, 08:09 AM

345 posts, read 250,399 times
I just happened to see this post, but don't know anything about Florida.

I've driven LS6 Chevelles in Phoenix and never had a problem. My temptation is to go utterly factory stock on fans,shrouds, etc. and to buy a high quality radiator that has the OEM layout. I can't see any point in aftermarket pixie dust. Head gaskets fine? I assume there isn't a clutch fan (which can fool you). Cap not leaking? Bottom radiator hose holding it's shape?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte