Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2017, 08:09 AM

1,217 posts, read 1,226,583 times

Advertisements

We have lots of stories to tell when we get back but this is the one that blew us away I think more than anything.

Everyone knows that 75 was bumper to bumper from Ocala to GA. We were inching along at around 8PM Friday night and see eight ambulances running south together. Then ten minutes later ten more, a few minutes later, five more. We thought they were going south to be ready if needed.

My wife is scanning her phone and sees that there's a 26 car pileup behind us. So now the line of vehicles is at a standstill until they can clean up the mess. People are already stressed and now traffic is at a dead stop for hours.

Now comes the weird part. We stopped north of Gainesville to get gas. Traffic covered 75 as far as we could see in both directions. The little town we were in was packed with cars all trying to get gas. I still had a half tank so we decided to get some later, got back on 75 and it was empty. Not a car in sight. What the hell happened to everyone? It took awhile to realize that the accident choked of the road.

This whole thing has been an experience we'll never forget and I can't wait to get back to see my house still standing. I hope everyone is safe and those that stayed home are all Ok........ So let's hear your stories.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2017, 01:45 PM

85 posts, read 56,785 times
I will go back to get my stuff and put the house on the market. We were planning on moving north for my wife's family anyway. I can not go through another episode like this. We just got ahead of the bubble on Thursday. It was still bad and south of gainsville was stop and go. We got off and hit 19 and it was bad until Tallahassee. Gas was hit and miss mostly miss. We hit some places that just got tanker drops. We gassed up. Motels were in short supply. We had to drive to Montgomery Alabama to get a room. What a nightmare. Personally I can not live like this. Florida has great weather until it does not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte