Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2018, 03:32 PM

102 posts, read 104,800 times

Advertisements

We're about to close on a lot in SGC northern sailboat section 93. One thing our agent told us was that the Army Corps of Engineers maintained the seawalls. Which I thought was a little odd unless it's on the taxes like some areas in Punta Gorda. I couldn't find anything about it other than they where the one's that put in the seawalls back in the day.

Does anyone know anything about this, she seem pretty sure and asked one of her co-workers and they said the same thing. This wasn't a reason why I bought the lot and am fully expecting to maintain it myself. I figured when she said that even if there was an issue they took care of what would it take to actually get them out there anyway. But I just wanted to check if anyone else heard anything like this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2018, 01:38 PM

5,177 posts, read 4,955,579 times
I would really, really be surprised if the Army Corps maintained them. But, one never knows what politician's hand may have been greased back in the day.

Old 08-04-2018, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikMal View Post
I would really, really be surprised if the Army Corps maintained them. But, one never knows what politician's hand may have been greased back in the day.
Yea, I agree. I'm not expecting that to be accurate but I figured I'd ask just for my own knowledge. I looked on some tax bills for properties in section 93 and it only shows a $25 tax for the waterway doesn't say anything about the seawall.

Old 08-04-2018, 04:09 PM

190 posts, read 259,821 times
That $25 tax for the "Waterway" is a non-ad velorum tax for the SGC Waterways MSBU. It covers SGC waterway maintenance and upkeep/operation of the lock. If you look at individual lot taxing history you can see the 1980 seawall improvement deeded to the property.

Old 08-06-2018, 09:13 AM

3,179 posts, read 6,010,634 times
I would RUN as fast and as far from that agent as possible for telling you such lies! In fact, it warrants a complaint to the ethics committee if you have it in writing. Falsifying info is frowned upon, as you can imagine. The Army Corps of Engineers doesn't have a damn thing to do with any privately owned seawalls. They don't maintain the PGI ones either, that's the CITY, paid for on the annual tax bill.

Old 08-06-2018, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbor Hopper View Post
I would RUN as fast and as far from that agent as possible for telling you such lies! In fact, it warrants a complaint to the ethics committee if you have it in writing. Falsifying info is frowned upon, as you can imagine. The Army Corps of Engineers doesn't have a damn thing to do with any privately owned seawalls. They don't maintain the PGI ones either, that's the CITY, paid for on the annual tax bill.
Well as I stated it wasn't the reason for buying the lot and I was fully expecting to maintain it myself. She always wasn't using it to try to sell me the lot, she just casually mentioned it once and wasn't doing it on purpose really. I don't know anyone in my 40 years on earth who hasn't said something that wasn't accurate from being misinformed. So no I'm not going to send her to the gates of hell for a little mistake. Now you might say she should know this or that, but again I don't know anyone who is perfect. If she keets saying it though to others that is a different story. But for now it's more/less a no harm, no foul situation and she's been really helpful.

Old 08-06-2018, 11:42 AM

3,179 posts, read 6,010,634 times
I'm glad you're so forgiving and understanding. Most buyers are not, especially when it comes to something as expensive as a $30,000 seawall. If she doesn't know, she shouldn't have commented. We are not in the business to assume or guesstimate things. At least I don't.

Old 08-08-2018, 03:31 PM

2 posts, read 1,377 times
Hi guys!
I’m new to this site. I joined because I would like to get the input from those of you living in Punta Gorda. My husband and I are in the early
Stage of relocation to PG from Dallas Texas. Have a contract on our home here and looking there. We were there in June looking and really liked it. We have a sailboat and thought it to be the perfect place to meet others and enjoy sailing
the area. We are very concerned about the algae blooms and large red tide. We watch everything we can about it and though we know red tide comes and goes, BUt, the toxic waters being released into the gulf is what’s concerning us. Looking at the pictures of Cape Coral make me sick. How is pG today? Has the toxic algae made its way to GP? Has it ever happened in the past where the water is unsafe in Charlotte Harbor and the canals? We love PG but are rethinking our move. Is this a legit concern? Any input?

Old 08-09-2018, 08:30 AM

98 posts, read 97,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audrey hansen View Post
Hi guys!
I’m new to this site. I joined because I would like to get the input from those of you living in Punta Gorda. My husband and I are in the early
Stage of relocation to PG from Dallas Texas. Have a contract on our home here and looking there. We were there in June looking and really liked it. We have a sailboat and thought it to be the perfect place to meet others and enjoy sailing
the area. We are very concerned about the algae blooms and large red tide. We watch everything we can about it and though we know red tide comes and goes, BUt, the toxic waters being released into the gulf is what’s concerning us. Looking at the pictures of Cape Coral make me sick. How is pG today? Has the toxic algae made its way to GP? Has it ever happened in the past where the water is unsafe in Charlotte Harbor and the canals? We love PG but are rethinking our move. Is this a legit concern? Any input?
This is a fine example of thread-crapping. There are several threads about red-tide and blue algae, but you posted in a thread about sea wall maintenance. Nice going!

Old 08-09-2018, 03:58 PM

5,177 posts, read 4,955,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audrey hansen View Post
.... Has the toxic algae made its way to GP? Has it ever happened in the past where the water is unsafe in Charlotte Harbor and the canals? We love PG but are rethinking our move. Is this a legit concern? Any input?
Short answer: No algae in PG and probably never will be.
Here is a link to a thread regarding just that: //www.city-data.com/forum/punta...t-closing.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte