Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2019, 09:03 AM

25 posts, read 19,616 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

I'm desiring to transplant myself from Southern California to PGI. I've been reading a lot of the forum and I think PGI would be a great place for my relocation. I am a little familiar with Florida as I spent 3 years at Homestead AFB with the USAF back in '68-'71. (Yes, I'm old now). I loved FL back then and I have visited the State several times since my military days. I seem to be attracted to the FL West Coast more so than any other area and I was lucky enough to discover PG recently. I like the fact that there are so many activities and clubs in your area. I'm active and want to keep it that way. I would love to live in PGI and have my own boat at my dock. I've owned small boats all my life starting with my time in Homestead. Currently own a ski boat, but if I am able to relocate, that will have to be sold.

Anyway, 58 years is long enough in California. I'm ready to try something new!

Dave
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2019, 01:14 PM

Default Storms & Other Stuff...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky701 View Post
SWF is VERY Different than Southern California.. IF NOTHING ELSE we have some summer storms you never have in California .. On Oct. 2, 1858, a hurricane came ashore and caused widespread damage in San Diego. That unnamed hurricane was the last, and only, example on record of a hurricane coming ashore on the West Coast.

Thanks, Sparky. If I eventually relocate to SWFL, I promise not to let any hurricanes from the West Coast follow me there! LOL! I'm well aware of the summer storms in Florida. In Cali, we go completely dry from May through October. I've always enjoyed the occasional storms in FL, because we just don't get those in So Cal. Last year, we had only 3" of rainfall for the whole year (season is Oct - Oct). But this winter we got close to 18" of rainfall which puts us back at 'normal'. With a couple more years like this, we might end our drought!

One thing I noticed is that the cost of water is very high in PGI. With all that rainfall and water everywhere, I can't imagine why the cost is high. But, I see that your electricity rates are much lower. Here I pay an average of $.23/kWh.

Do many of the homes in PGI utilize natural gas for cooking, hot water, & heat? I see many of the houses in PGI have an electric hot water heater.

We will be at Deerfield Beach at a timeshare for a week in late May. I think we'll drive over to PG and have a look around. Any good seafood restaurants in the area?

Old 04-14-2019, 01:26 PM

1,726 posts, read 1,722,865 times
One major difference between your current city of Yorba Linda, CA and Punta Gorda, FL is that the vast majority of people who live in and around Punta Gorda are not originally from that area or Florida in general, for that matter. In my opinion, the population of Orange County is a healthy combination of people who were born and raised in California and people who were born and raised elsewhere. Furthermore, cities in the inland northern region of Orange County such as Fullerton and Yorba Linda, for example, probably have the highest concentrations of California natives than most other cities in the county. As a result, there is greater social cohesion in your current area than in Punta Gorda, which is very transient and shallow-rooted overall, even by Florida standards.

Old 04-14-2019, 01:30 PM

11,161 posts, read 7,967,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave4881 View Post
Hello All,

I'm desiring to transplant myself from Southern California to PGI. I've been reading a lot of the forum and I think PGI would be a great place for my relocation. I am a little familiar with Florida as I spent 3 years at Homestead AFB with the USAF back in '68-'71. (Yes, I'm old now). I loved FL back then and I have visited the State several times since my military days. I seem to be attracted to the FL West Coast more so than any other area and I was lucky enough to discover PG recently. I like the fact that there are so many activities and clubs in your area. I'm active and want to keep it that way. I would love to live in PGI and have my own boat at my dock. I've owned small boats all my life starting with my time in Homestead. Currently own a ski boat, but if I am able to relocate, that will have to be sold.

Anyway, 58 years is long enough in California. I'm ready to try something new!

Dave
Good for you! Best of luck!

Old 04-14-2019, 01:32 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,822,893 times
Yea, welcome, please leave California and everything about it behind.

Old 04-14-2019, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
One major difference between your current city of Yorba Linda, CA and Punta Gorda, FL is that the vast majority of people who live in and around Punta Gorda are not originally from that area or Florida in general, for that matter. In my opinion, the population of Orange County is a healthy combination of people who were born and raised in California and people who were born and raised elsewhere. Furthermore, cities in the inland northern region of Orange County such as Fullerton and Yorba Linda, for example, probably have the highest concentrations of California natives than most other cities in the county. As a result, there is greater social cohesion in your current area than in Punta Gorda, which is very transient and shallow-rooted overall, even by Florida standards.

Orange County, CA for the most part is OK. Actually, the best thing about OC is the weather. But, it is too dry and that's not a good thing. People (neighbors) here don't seem to socialize as much as they do in the South or Midwest. Everyone here is so busy trying to make a living and keep up with the Jones'. OC is and has been a mostly conservative area, but it is now changing and moving to the left somewhat. I can't say the same for the Los Angeles area. LA is mostly Hispanic and much poorer overall than Orange County. Sure, LA has its wealthy, but they are the minority. Surprisingly and contrary to what you are saying, most Californians are implants from other states. Calif was a boom destination in the '60's and '70's, but for the last several years, companies and families are leaving here in a big way, a lot of which head to Texas. Calif can keep their "Sanctuary" cities and all the problems that go along with that. The far left State government continues to ruin this State with excessive restrictions, laws, and taxes. Thus, many companies and individuals find life more easy and attractive in other states. I certainly don't think we have much social cohesion in this area. Anyway, social cohesion is low on my list of priorities. But, from reviewing some of the PG forums, there are lots of social activities available in PG.
Thanks for the input. It is very much appreciated.

Old 04-14-2019, 01:49 PM

Default Good one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Yea, welcome, please leave California and everything about it behind.

LOL !! Amen, Brother!!

Old 04-14-2019, 04:27 PM

1,599 posts, read 1,432,160 times
A friend I know moved to the Chino area in 2003. He paid $430k back then and is selling and building a new home in SC. The Chino home will list for $750k or more. So, depending on the age of your home, updates made over time, you will like what you can buy new in SWF.
Good luck!

Old 04-14-2019, 05:25 PM

1,066 posts, read 766,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave4881 View Post
Do many of the homes in PGI utilize natural gas for cooking, hot water, & heat? I see many of the houses in PGI have an electric hot water heater.
Howdy Dave. We moved here to PGI a year ago from Colorado after spending years of visits and research in the area.

It didn't look like anyone answered the above question... no natural gas in PGI (that we learned out about while searching for a place). If you want gas for cooking (and hot water) it will be propane in either above or buried tanks. Some still use propane for pool and/or spa heat, though now it's usually a heat pump or solar more commonly used. You'll find you won't need much in the way of house heat, a couple of chilly nights here and there in the winter but it isn't a big issue.

Our FPL electric bill in a roughly 2,400 sq. ft. house, running AC and pool equipment in the summer is around $150-$175/mo. Winter is a little higher but then again we like to use our spa more when it's chilly and it uses a 11KW resistance-type heater.

Water was higher than expected (around $100/mo.) because we were watering (albeit lightly) twice a week to keep the shrubs and grass healthy.

I used to travel to OC for work, many hours spent on I-15; you will be amazed at the low density of traffic, even during snowbird season.

Good luck!

Old 04-18-2019, 06:25 AM

469 posts, read 467,416 times
Not many people in PG area utilize natural gas. Its primarily electric. Also, electric rates will go up if a newly proposed grid reinforcement bill passes into law. Regardless, I'm sure your cost of living will be lower here than California.

PG is a very nice community and I'm sure you will make friends there. I live in a snowbird area (Venice) and have made several friends here in just a few years time. You might try Meetup.com when you get relocated. It's an activity based website where you can meet people who share your interests. My girlfriend and I belong to a walking group in the Sarasota Meetup and weve made several friends via that group. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte