Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2020, 11:36 AM

4 posts, read 4,554 times

Advertisements

The requirement to put a lift on when putting a new dock (if one not already in place) was added recently according to the City. Others who already have a dock apparently are grandfathered in. Seems too complicated to me. BSI is nice but too afraid to not be able to do what we need to do there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2020, 11:40 AM

4 posts, read 4,554 times
How long did it take to get the variance? Do you know does the variance go with the property or does it disappear if you sell?

Old 08-17-2020, 01:10 PM

1,438 posts, read 1,965,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tansey90 View Post
I don't really understand what the 45 degree rule is! Can you explain in a 5th graders' terms - lol!!!?

So BSI wants to bury the lines? I assume this would be an added expense on property taxes then?

Thanks
Lisa
Stand on the property line facing the canal...rotate 45deg towards your property...imagine you’re looking at a line going out into the canal from that point...nothing you build can be on your neighbor’s side of that line. So, say you want to put a piling 10 ft out in the canal. That piling needs to be at least 10 ft in from the property line to stay inside the 45 deg line. Big lots like you’re looking for generally aren’t a problem (other than availability). Keystone lots at the ends of canals are almost always a problem, as there is only 35 ft of sea wall to work with. Take a slow cruise around the canals and you’ll see all kinds of configurations to get stuff to fit; some of it will have been the result of a successful variance request.

Somebody from BSI may chime in on the utility question. My understanding is FPL was going to replace all the power poles to meet a new hurricane standard (I guess). This was no cost to homeowners. A group of residents fired up the idea of burying the utilities instead. This was some millions more, which would be assessed to homeowners. They held a referendum, and you see the results of that above. I guess it has yet to be discussed by the city council. Seems like it should be a dead issue, but who knows.

Old 08-17-2020, 03:38 PM

190 posts, read 259,287 times
Re: BSI and your 47' sailboat - Have you checked the approach depths into BSI? What does your boat draw? We looked there back in 2014 and IIRC limiting depth was 4'6"MLW. We draw 5' and decided it wouldn't be worth it.

Looked at PGI for a bit while living aboard at Fishville and ended up in SGC. Mistake upon mistake, if you're not dead set on SWFL for some reason, I'd look elsewhere. As soon as we're able to sell our big boat (41'6" IP), the house and flats boat go on the market and we're outta FL for good...

Old 08-18-2020, 01:21 PM

64 posts, read 71,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pau Hana Daz View Post
Re: BSI and your 47' sailboat - Have you checked the approach depths into BSI? What does your boat draw? We looked there back in 2014 and IIRC limiting depth was 4'6"MLW. We draw 5' and decided it wouldn't be worth it.

Looked at PGI for a bit while living aboard at Fishville and ended up in SGC. Mistake upon mistake, if you're not dead set on SWFL for some reason, I'd look elsewhere. As soon as we're able to sell our big boat (41'6" IP), the house and flats boat go on the market and we're outta FL for good...
P.H.D.
Sorry it hasn't worked out. Your posts have been informative and helpful. Thank you and best of luck in the future......John
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte