Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2020, 08:39 AM

191 posts, read 300,186 times

Advertisements

Anybody with CenturyLink having these goofy loss of internet issues ? This has been going on for well over 2 weeks now. It started out with intermittent loss for minutes at a time, leading to longer periods. At that time CenturyLink acknowledged an area wide outage. After they cleared their own equipment trouble my issues got even more strange with disconnects almost continuously. Finally I had a tech here who cleared it for 2 days because when we dropped Prism TV a year ago, the second DSL pair (required for the Prism) was left connected to my modem and that caused problems (modem would occasionally switch to the 2nd line and nothing was there). So for the next 2 days everything was great. This morning when I tried to access the internet it was gone again. Back to the service page I go and now they say another area wide outage that should be cleared sometime tomorrow. Sigh ... this stuff gets old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2020, 09:50 AM

5,818 posts, read 12,645,096 times
Don't have Century. We subscribed to Comcast by default- 105 bucks a month for 2 years, Internet and 100s of channels.

Old 09-15-2020, 10:57 AM

Comcast is available in my neighborhood as well. My sister and a friend of mine both have it for internet (we all live in the same general area). My sister says when it works properly it's great ... unfortunately it has had stability issues and she says it is a real PIA to get a tech out to her house if something goes completely off the track. My friend has had it for about 6 months and other than an initial install snafu it has been OK. Like other services requiring an outside plant, the reliability can suffer depending on where you are at in a neighborhood. I've had CL for 9 years and it has been fairly decent the whole time. I'm wondering if the "home schooling" thing is overtaxing CL's equipment ? But if this is going to be an ongoing thing with CL I may give Comcast a shot and see what happens.

Old 04-01-2021, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayraySH View Post
We have Cenurylink here. Started out with a bundle deal of 100 Mbps internet + Prism TV. After bundle deal expired, price shot up, and experiencing lots of problems with the TV service, we switched to internet only, 1000 Mbps unlimited, $85 per month for life. We use DirectvNow, Netflix, and Amazon Prime. Total is cheaper than before, faster internet, more programming than we need. Centurylink internet has been quite reliable according to centurylink reviews
Pretty much the route I have followed. Two years ago I dropped PRISM (mainly due to price increase) and went to the Direct TV (via CL) deal for 2 years because of the attractive cost. It required installation of a dish, which was no biggie. After the 2 year deal expired the cost more than doubled so I have discontinued it and stayed with CL's internet (via DSL) and use Amazon and Netflix which pretty much covers everything I need.

The problem I have for the last year or so is with CL's DNS software (their physical outside plant seems fairly decent). The majority of the time I'm seeing kind've slow page loading. Accessing the modem and running tests shows decent numbers on the copper DSL line. But the test which includes the DNS numbers is corresponding to the slow page loads. The DNS will show fails and since the DNS is responsible for finding the correct IP address for web sites, the response time becomes lousy. Thumbnail pic shows test from right now ...
Attached Thumbnails
CenturyLink and their internet issues ...-screenshot_2021-04-01-centurylink-modem-configuration.png  

Old 04-01-2021, 07:24 PM

1,153 posts, read 622,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 71 road runner View Post
Anybody with CenturyLink having these goofy loss of internet issues ? This has been going on for well over 2 weeks now. It started out with intermittent loss for minutes at a time, leading to longer periods. At that time CenturyLink acknowledged an area wide outage. After they cleared their own equipment trouble my issues got even more strange with disconnects almost continuously. Finally I had a tech here who cleared it for 2 days because when we dropped Prism TV a year ago, the second DSL pair (required for the Prism) was left connected to my modem and that caused problems (modem would occasionally switch to the 2nd line and nothing was there). So for the next 2 days everything was great. This morning when I tried to access the internet it was gone again. Back to the service page I go and now they say another area wide outage that should be cleared sometime tomorrow. Sigh ... this stuff gets old.
Go to the Verizon store and buy a Verizon jet pack, ditch CL and you’ll be much happier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte