Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2021, 11:19 AM

9 posts, read 10,762 times

Advertisements

Love the idea of keeping a boat in the backyard. That lead me to the whole CC/FM PC/PGI research and in my head I think PC because I can afford so much more. As the title says I am looking at houses and building lots South of Ohara Dr. Most have direct access to harbor without any bridges and appear to be 15 min cruise to open water. Are some of the Canals way worse than others...things that aren't obvious like wetlands, hirer building cost because... Have looked at Flood maps and seem to be close to same for entire area. Although I do verify for each property. So pricing of both houses and properties make me ask help help help, is there a catch, to good to be true?

More details....
Semi retired looking for fun place to enjoy weather and love boating and being on the water. Might work some but not the primary for location I move to. Only would work 4-5 years before I decide to collect the big Soc Sec Check :-) So in all I have read it is a real toss up between PC and PGI but money will probably be a factor and larger amount of property. From what I can see for $100-150k for 2 waterfront lots that are decent. For a mid end home 1500-1800 sqft it seems like $385-425k is doable. Am I being crazy or is that realistic?

I realize a nice pool, expensive seawall/dock can also be over this budget. What are some of the things/areas that can really throw off this budget?

Did you find it easier to select a builder and go through them for the entire transaction or did you find negotiating and buying property better financially plus better control over selecting a building lot? Any downside, like most of the builders won't build on your lot or charge a premium?

Currently the plan is to take a trip first part of April and rent a home in the area for at least one week. Appreciate any recommendations or lessons learned you are willing to share. Thanks in advance and Happy 2021 to everyone!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2021, 07:24 PM

5,166 posts, read 4,938,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billg_wash View Post
.... I am looking at houses and building lots South of Ohara Dr. Most have direct access to harbor without any bridges and appear to be 15 min cruise to open water.....
Unless you get a lot off of Midway, it'll probably take you longer than 15 minutes. Figure from the midway bridge, it takes about 10 minutes going out the Ackerman / Lewis Creek. Heading west on the Manchester will take at least another 10 minutes to reach Collingswood, all of it at minimum wake speed. Some of the finger canals are pretty narrow and overgrown, but I would still consider that a neighborhood worthy of looking at.

Old 01-07-2021, 02:58 PM

https://www.city-data.com/forum/punta...-waterway.html

Provides some of the cross streets and finger canal names with feedback about area. This was what I couldn't find without trying harder and using title search. Thanks so much for the info and I think I have most of what I was seeking. Looking forward to putting feet on the ground and looking in person.

Old 01-08-2021, 01:39 AM

1,721 posts, read 2,784,482 times
Have tou looked from harbor blvd east south of edgewater sailboat lots. All 10
Mins or less

Old 01-08-2021, 01:50 AM

1,721 posts, read 2,784,482 times
W
Attached Thumbnails
PC Canal Lots and Houses South of Ohara Dr.-26183d18-a1e8-400c-ab4b-1cae4f989bd4.jpeg  

Old 01-08-2021, 02:48 AM

I have looked at a few houses and lots in that area as well. The best part about area I asked is the ability to get a couple lots together for the same price. Both areas look similar with a mix of new and older homes. I am shocked that 15-20 min to open water and lots can be found in the $50-75k range. Thanks again for the help :-)

Old 01-10-2021, 02:24 PM

5,166 posts, read 4,938,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billg_wash View Post
.... The best part about area I asked is the ability to get a couple lots together for the same price. Both areas look similar with a mix of new and older homes. I am shocked that 15-20 min to open water and lots can be found in the $50-75k range. Thanks again for the help :-)
If you can find, and afford, two (or more) adjoining waterfront lots, then I recommend doing it! One thing to check: Do the lots there already have sewer lines. The Ackerman area is under a sewer expansion project and lot owners are being accessed an additional $575 per year for the next 20 years. Two lots and you'll pay double that. BUT, I think a lot of that area already has sewers, so you may be in luck.

Old 01-11-2021, 11:12 AM

Thanks again...

Old 01-11-2021, 12:44 PM

8 posts, read 30,442 times
Awesome post! I just bought an unclear salt canal lot on Ayrshire Circle, PC for under $35k. This lot has direct access to Gulf via 1 no bridge??? Looking forward visit beaches nearby. Also, can residents build a boat dock without clearing all the land? Flying from IL next week to meet potential mulching/clearing company. Thank you for your help!

Old 01-11-2021, 06:24 PM

If you look at satellite views, I think you will see many lots that have only docks with no houses and different level of clearing. I believe most of the area you have to build house before any other structure on land. You are able to install sea wall and dock according to code. Definitely interested in your experience as you are ahead of me by about 6 months. Planning to come out in spring and move by summer. Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte