Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2021, 08:30 AM

8 posts, read 30,466 times

Advertisements

A contractor said that I can clear my lot on Ayrshire Circle, PC without a permit as long as I leave the palm trees alone. Is it true?
My understanding is that I will need a building permit 1st , then a clearing permit before I can clear the lot but if I don’t touch the palms and allowed to clear the lot. I would like to start the project.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2021, 10:38 AM

3,645 posts, read 7,148,424 times
What a great bit of advice...not. maybe one to avoid.

to do any clearing you need a permit.

you do not have to wait for the building permit to get a clearing permit BUT I question why...

grass will grow back and if you arent removing any trees there is no point doing it until you get ready to go

Old 02-15-2021, 12:41 PM

They said you need a building permit before you can clear your lot...This is not good because building permit requires engineering done, site plan done, etc that can take up to 6 months. Then I can ask for a building permit. After I have a building permit, then I can ask for a clearing permit or ask for it in parallel. This whole process of permit, site plan, etc can take up to 9 months. My goal is to just clear the lot. If they allow/request only a clearing permit that’s not a problem. The problem is they require a building permit before I can obtain a clearing permit to clear the lot???? I have lots of trees on the lot. The contractor said we can get rid off all trees except palms w/o permit. If we touch the palms then we would need a clearing permit. The clearing permit cannot be requested/applied for before I have a building permit in place??? Why can’t I just obtain a clearing permit only?

Last edited by ashylelee; 02-15-2021 at 12:49 PM..

Old 02-15-2021, 03:59 PM

3,645 posts, read 7,148,424 times
They said you need a building permit before you can clear your lot..

“They” are wrong

.This is not good because building permit requires engineering done, site plan done, etc that can take up to 6 months. Then I can ask for a building permit. After I have a building permit, then I can ask for a clearing permit or ask for it in parallel.

Incorrect

This whole process of permit, site plan, etc can take up to 9 months.

Only if you are designing a totally custom home from scratch

My goal is to just clear the lot. If they allow/request only a clearing permit that’s not a problem.

They do

The problem is they require a building permit before I can obtain a clearing permit to clear the lot??

They don’t

?? I have lots of trees on the lot. The contractor said we can get rid off all trees except palms w/o permit.

Your contractor is wrong

If we touch the palms then we would need a clearing permit.

Wrong

The clearing permit cannot be requested/applied for before I have a building permit in place???

Wrong

Why can’t I just obtain a clearing permit only. You can. Get a new contractor

Old 02-15-2021, 10:12 PM

https://www.charlottecountyfl.gov/co...s-brochure.pdf

On the county website, it says,
Tree Removal Permit Application will be ac- cepted with Building Permit Applications only.
license number or owner/builder name and pertinent information along with a completed notarized affidavit
Exceptions - (Tree Removal Application re- quired, but can be submitted without building permit application
• Mulching of exotic/underbrush only
• Removal of individual dead/damaged

Commercial projects - with Preliminary DRC approval

Excavations - a copy of the Exemption Excavation Application must be provided

Old 02-16-2021, 06:12 PM

73 posts, read 119,030 times
Thanks for this post, I know the subject has come up before but it's high on my list. I have three adjoining lots, highly overgrown with Brazilian pepper trees and I can identify Sable palms, pine trees and possibly a few live oaks. The problem is just getting an idea of the lay of the land before any realistic building plan can be made. I'd like to keep as much native flora as possible.

Yes, the undergrowth will grow back, but how else does one assess the potential, even if many months might pass between (first) clearing and any construction.

Also, is there a standard and accepted method to treat the cleared area afterwards, to prevent (or minimize) regrowth? Especially the pepper trees.

Old 02-17-2021, 06:16 PM

190 posts, read 259,038 times
https://www.charlottecountyfl.gov/de...tial-tree.stml

The following was copied from the above page. That page has links to all of the necessary forms.

Quote:

Residential Tree
Allows removal of trees and or mulching and bush hogging on a residential site. Complete clearing of a property is not allowed without an associated building permit.

Required Forms & Documents
Application for a Tree Permit (1 original signed): 3-page Tree Permit Application form (includes the spreadsheet) and 2-page Mulching Permit Application form
Application Package for A Tree Permit (1 original signed): 4-page Tree Permit Application Package (includes the application form, spreadsheet and sample tree site plan)
Tree Site Plan Sample (2 copies or sets): Refer to this sample Tree Site Plan for assistance in preparing the required Tree Site Plan
Additional paperwork: If rental property, provide a letter of consent from property owner(s).
Tree Permit Basics Brochure

Fees
On Application
Natural Resources: Commercial - $80, Residential - $70

Review Disciplines
Intake/Sufficiency: An "at the counter" intake/sufficiency review of the application & its required documents to verify completeness for acceptance and payment of initial fees.
Tree: Verify that trees proposed for removal are not Heritage Trees and ensure that the required amount of trees needed to be planted are indicated on the required drawings.
Natural Resources: Verify that the proposed work will not impact a protected species (such as scrub jays, gopher tortoises, etc.). This includes coastal lighting impact on sea turtles.
Permit Issuance: At this point, work may commence. The applicant will receive an approved copy of the permit package and a Permit-Inspections Job Card to be posted at the site printed with a list of the required inspections needed to complete the permit.

Typical Inspections/Certifications/As Builts
Inspection Type (IVR System Code):
Zoning Final (965)

Note: Fee payments by check should be made payable to either "CCBCC" or Charlotte County Board of County Commissioners. Payments are also accepted by Mastercard or Visa credit or debit cards.

All proposed site development must first obtain a Charlotte County Tree Permit before any clearing of the site may begin. Please note that compliance with the landscaping does not or may not fully meet tree point requirements. Plans that are not approved must be revised to come into minimum compliance with Charlotte County Code and be resubmitted for review prior to approval.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte