Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2022, 06:24 PM

5,818 posts, read 12,622,592 times

Advertisements

I hate to brag but I'm glad we found paradise before the secret got out.

Punta Gorda, Florida Tops List Of Biggest Jump In Home Priceshttps://miami.cbslocal.com › CBS News › Live
5 days ago — MIAMI (CBSMiami/CNN) — The cost of buying a home rose by double-digit percentages across most of the US in the last quarter of 2021, ...
Missing: newsweek ‎| Must include: newsweek
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2022, 08:35 AM

73 posts, read 118,971 times
I have a friend in the RE business in Naples, he recently told me there are no bargains (maybe not the best choice of words) down that way anymore, Charlotte County is the buzz these days. We arrived late to the party, but early enough. Cheers.

Old 02-22-2022, 11:49 AM

1,291 posts, read 176,722 times
We bought in 2013. So glad we did. We'd never heard of this place before despite having been to Florida a few times. Snowbird friends invited us here for a visit. We were so pleasantly surprised that we ended up buying.

I know we can't halt progress but I have to admit I'm not looking forward to the end result of the building boom. Vacant lots are disappearing every day. I don't think our road system will be able to handle the extra traffic too well. It's already the worst I've experienced. Oh well. Maybe we'll find some mountain in Tennessee to escape to, if there's any of that left in a few years.

Old 02-23-2022, 05:44 AM

24 posts, read 32,425 times
I first moved here in 1982. I was young and poor. I wish I had the means then to grab some properties. Left a decade later and returned 3 years ago. There were bargains still to be had in 2019. With rents as high as they are here it still makes sense to buy now even if you can only tip in 10%.

Old 02-23-2022, 06:25 AM

5,818 posts, read 12,622,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Rocky View Post
We bought in 2013. So glad we did. We'd never heard of this place before despite having been to Florida a few times. Snowbird friends invited us here for a visit. We were so pleasantly surprised that we ended up buying.

I know we can't halt progress but I have to admit I'm not looking forward to the end result of the building boom. Vacant lots are disappearing every day. I don't think our road system will be able to handle the extra traffic too well. It's already the worst I've experienced. Oh well. Maybe we'll find some mountain in Tennessee to escape to, if there's any of that left in a few years.
I agree Rocky, traffic is getting worse. Don't tell anyone about that mountain in Tennessee because we'll be heading that way also. It is crazy around here where people are paying 700,800,900K on waterfront houses without even seeing them and paying over asking and don't care about repairs.

Old 02-23-2022, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
I agree Rocky, traffic is getting worse. Don't tell anyone about that mountain in Tennessee because we'll be heading that way also. It is crazy around here where people are paying 700,800,900K on waterfront houses without even seeing them and paying over asking and don't care about repairs.
And there's 270 apartments approved to be built, on Sandhill and Capricorn. That area is already a misery as far as traffic. It'll become a nightmare. Might have to look for that Tennessee mountain sooner rather than later

Old 02-23-2022, 01:55 PM

14,933 posts, read 12,130,043 times
Quote:

Not looking forward to the building boom or the sardine in the can type living in Charlotte County that Collier, Lee, and Sarasota counties have become, but I'm old enough to hope I'm dead before this comes to pass.

I liked it better before it was "discovered".

Old 02-23-2022, 03:42 PM

3,133 posts, read 2,254,432 times
Quote:
And there's 270 apartments approved to be built, on Sandhill and Capricorn. That area is already a misery as far as traffic. It'll become a nightmare. Might have to look for that Tennessee mountain sooner rather than later
As a resident of Deep Creek I am less than enthusiastic about another 500+ vehicles utilizing Sandhill. The traffic in season is already more than the roads and infrastructure can safely support. Having 270 apartments this close to where I live is not at all what I envisioned when I moved here in 2016.

I am 100% ready to sell out and get as far from here as I can. Unfortunately for me however, my wife cannot be persuaded to leave. Maybe once she sees the impact those 270 apartments have she will rethink her position. I can only hope.

Old 02-24-2022, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Not looking forward to the building boom or the sardine in the can type living in Charlotte County that Collier, Lee, and Sarasota counties have become, but I'm old enough to hope I'm dead before this comes to pass.

I liked it better before it was "discovered".
Yes, it was great when it was an undiscovered little bit of paradise. It wasn't some isolated bleak town either. There was more than enough amenities for a nice way of life. And if we didn't have it here, it was close enough elsewhere, i.e., Fort Myers, Venice, Sarasota, etc. Art & other festivals, concerts, beaches, Costco and other Big Box stores, all within an hour's drive.

"Sardine in the can type of living" is a good way to describe what is unfortunately happening here. We go up to Venice and Sarasota once in a while for various reasons and every time I've looked at the packed in housing and felt so glad that we didn't have that here. Yet.

Old 02-24-2022, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron61 View Post
As a resident of Deep Creek I am less than enthusiastic about another 500+ vehicles utilizing Sandhill. The traffic in season is already more than the roads and infrastructure can safely support. Having 270 apartments this close to where I live is not at all what I envisioned when I moved here in 2016.

I am 100% ready to sell out and get as far from here as I can. Unfortunately for me however, my wife cannot be persuaded to leave. Maybe once she sees the impact those 270 apartments have she will rethink her position. I can only hope.
I can't see how the impact of that apartment complex won't be felt by everyone. It won't be just that but also the additional cars from all the new single-family homes and the duplex homes they are building throughout Deep Creek. Sandhill won't be able to safely support all that.

Charlotte County is quick to approve new housing but they are slow when it comes to dealing with roads and traffic problems. That convoluted mess at Sandhill and Kings was dumb before. I can't see what exactly they improved for all the work, time and expense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte