Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 04:41 PM

9 posts, read 47,798 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, My husband will be retiring in 14 months. We are still pretty young in my own opinion. We are both 49. We currently live near Ft. Worth Texas. We have spent time in Florida and the Keys.Love the Keys but not the price tag. We both attended boarding school in Florida so weather wise we know what we are getting into. I have only been in Texas about 8 years. I moved here to marry my highschool sweetie. I am not a huge Texas fan myself but its not bad. I am a North Carolina girl and I do miss it. PC is a much closer drive to NC than it is from Texas. That is a nother plus in my book. We are planning to visit to visit PC soon. What I don't know about is things like the cost of home owners insurance, crime rates, and general info about the area. Oh and we have a boston whaler that we enjoy. Is PC a good place to have a whaler? We love the water and fishing. I hope I haven't asked to many questions but people who live there are the ones to ask questions of. Ya'll have a good evening.Lynne
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2010, 07:20 PM

6,103 posts, read 15,091,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasncgirl View Post
Hi everyone, My husband will be retiring in 14 months. We are still pretty young in my own opinion. We are both 49. We currently live near Ft. Worth Texas. We have spent time in Florida and the Keys.Love the Keys but not the price tag. We both attended boarding school in Florida so weather wise we know what we are getting into. I have only been in Texas about 8 years. I moved here to marry my highschool sweetie. I am not a huge Texas fan myself but its not bad. I am a North Carolina girl and I do miss it. PC is a much closer drive to NC than it is from Texas. That is a nother plus in my book. We are planning to visit to visit PC soon. What I don't know about is things like the cost of home owners insurance, crime rates, and general info about the area. Oh and we have a boston whaler that we enjoy. Is PC a good place to have a whaler? We love the water and fishing. I hope I haven't asked to many questions but people who live there are the ones to ask questions of. Ya'll have a good evening.Lynne
In my opinion, PC is a great place to live. It's near me, but you shouldn't tell eveyone on the interent about our past. . . Just kidding.

You'll have great access to the harbor with your boston whaler, and it is a great boat for the shallow waters, and trailering around to areas where you will want to launch your boat!

As with any area in Florida, PC has flood plain areas, and crime, good areas, and bad. You need to find a good agent that really knows the area to help you find the perfect place for you. PC is near Punta Gorda (just across the bridge, and I love it here, because I boat, fish, play golf, tennis, drink beer, flirt, walk my dog, go out to some great restaurants with my wife, and kids when they come visit, fish, drink beer, flirt, and relax, when I'm not working hard - which I never do! But, I play hard!

You haven't asked enough questions, we all like to help. So welcome to the board, and finding people that like to help.

And, come check out the area, when you have time, - no rush - you're young!

Old 04-21-2010, 08:17 PM

463 posts, read 866,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big House View Post
In my opinion, PC is a great place to live. It's near me, but you shouldn't tell eveyone on the interent about our past. . . Just kidding.

You'll have great access to the harbor with your boston whaler, and it is a great boat for the shallow waters, and trailering around to areas where you will want to launch your boat!

As with any area in Florida, PC has flood plain areas, and crime, good areas, and bad. You need to find a good agent that really knows the area to help you find the perfect place for you. PC is near Punta Gorda (just across the bridge, and I love it here, because I boat, fish, play golf, tennis, drink beer, flirt, walk my dog, go out to some great restaurants with my wife, and kids when they come visit, fish, drink beer, flirt, and relax, when I'm not working hard - which I never do! But, I play hard!

You haven't asked enough questions, we all like to help. So welcome to the board, and finding people that like to help.

And, come check out the area, when you have time, - no rush - you're young!

FLIRT I thought I saw you wink at me that day we were fishing but I wasnt sure. LOL and that doesnt mean lots of love

Old 04-22-2010, 07:43 AM

What happens in PC stays in PC. It works for Vegas! Shhh.Thanks for the info,but I do have a few more questions. How are the prices on home owners insurance? I know mine in NC was cheaper than Texas. How are property taxes? In Texas you have a property tax and a school tax that runs about the same as the property tax. I had never heard of a school tax before moving here.Its like a whole NOTHER country out here. Is the home owners insurance much more expensive than other places? Do you need extra policies for floods and hurricanes. Now this question may sound crazy, but do you have love bugs? When I went to school in Sorrento I pretty much got use to them but my dog may take exception to them sticking in his fur,nose or other places. LOL. Off to find my coffee pot befor I faint. Oh, do you have a Baby's coffee in your area or maybe a cuban coffee shop? I enjoy coffee IV's if ya have them.

Old 04-22-2010, 09:00 AM

463 posts, read 866,857 times
WE have recently purched a home in Port Charlotte and were amazed at how low the taxes are but I guess its all relative to what you are paying now. I am also a Cuban coffee lover and there are two great places on 41 that sell the real stuff along with empanadas and croquettas. the cuban sandwiches are fantastic. I have a cuban brother in law and discovered thier great food years ago.

Old 04-22-2010, 10:04 AM

Default coffee

Glad to hear the taxes didn't give you sticker shock. More important though is the cuban cofee! We love the keys and I got turned on to it there. I wonder what they would say if I said, will work for coffee. Thanks for you reply!

Old 04-22-2010, 09:31 PM

14 posts, read 58,549 times
I'm a realtor and sell property from Bradenton to Punta Gorda (and all points in between). It's just my personal opinion...but...for "affordable" boating water, I find Port Charlotte and Punta Gorda to have more choices at reasonable prices. Most of the canals around PC offer fairly quick access to Charlotte Harbor and then on out to the Gulf. There's also access from some points to the Peace River and the Myakka River. There is a lot of inventory on the market right now what with all the short sales and foreclosures - so prices are great for buyers. As for taxes and insurance...it depends on what you're used to. Most folks from the Northeast think it's cheap and then there are those from some other states who think it's expensive. It really depends on what you're accustomed to. As for flood insurance - it depends on whether or not you live in a flood zone as to whether or not you have to have it. As for wind insurance, as long as you have a mortgage your lender will require that you carry it. And yes, we occasionally have love bugs...but not very often.

Old 04-23-2010, 12:37 AM

1 posts, read 8,910 times
I live in Myakka outside Bradenton and love it!
I do have a good friend that retired in Port Charoltte and loves it. Now with the economy he is thinking about buying a house in North Port though.
House prices are great there!

Old 04-23-2010, 07:31 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,091,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiceIsWrong View Post
I live in Myakka outside Bradenton and love it!
I do have a good friend that retired in Port Charoltte and loves it. Now with the economy he is thinking about buying a house in North Port though.
House prices are great there!

Hi Rice,
Welcome to the forum! Nice post!

Old 04-23-2010, 08:29 AM

Thanks to all of you for the info. Everyone seems so nice and friendly. I am going to look at a map and check out the other areas some have suggested. I do have another concern and would like your opinions on the issue. Like I mentioned we will retire in 14 months. We want to purchase a home ahead of time, I don't work. I will be able to stay there some but we will still be in Texas a good part of the time. We are concerned about the house being empty part of the time. Any opinions on how to handle this? Oh, by the way, I think I can smell the cuban coffee from here!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte