Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Radio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2011, 04:54 PM

2,947 posts, read 5,191,791 times

Advertisements

I don't know which category to place this on C-D. In a way, this forum seems appropriate as talk radio is a major form of a relationship for me, since I live and work alone, and am a loner.

My complaint: I'm so disgusted living in Boston by not only the casual cursing in everyday life by almost everyone (yes, even the educated and higher class!), but especially by the profanity on many local radio airwaves.

Listening to one particular entertaining and informative local sports program, it astounds me that within 5-10 minutes of just tuning in today, I heard "sucks, SUCKED!, sucking, blows!" several times by both male hosts. Well, I should consider myself lucky it wasn't two female hosts, right?

These hosts are popular local and even national sports figures, men in their 40s acting like fratboys! At least one is married to a local tv newsbabe.

These are men I otherwise find entertaining, informative and quick witted.

Why are THESE words allowed; other words, thankfully, are still banned on radio and network tv.

I hear "fricken" and "friggin" often on local Boston radio. Isn't Boston supposed to be such a polished and educated populace overall? Believe me, many locals are low class who use double negatives and spit!

I'm 51 and male (gay, if it matters...shouldn't gays be used to some of the above words?).

Darn! Back from the commercial break, and one host again said "sucked!" while the other chimed in with "sucks!"

Even a local radio ad for a local gym mentioned if the New Year has sucked for you, consider joining their gym!

Darn, he said "suck" again.

Oh, a caller just complimented their great show!

A few local radio hosts are gentleman and would never use this "jargon." And their stations wouldn't allow it.

I'm not the NPR type...I wish I were that fancy and educated.. But should I just crawl back into my hole and let the world pass me by? I won't give up my talk radio. Even if I shun talk radio, this language is all around on the suways and streets of Boston (and all of America?). I can't win.

Some who have read this far may think I'm joking and simply waant a reaction. I'm not joking. Any reaction is welcome, even one ridiculing me and me sensitivity.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2011, 05:36 PM

2,516 posts, read 5,687,867 times
...those words aren't profanity. So I would fall into the category of labeling you as ultra sensitive. My 2 cents.

Old 03-28-2011, 05:40 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
The OP is right. First of all, radio personalities are pretty much fifth rate comedians. If they were worth a damned they would be on tour or on television, not getting up every morning at 4:30 and schlepping it down to the radio station.

Radio is continuing to hemorrhage listeners. Why? Because not only do you have to listen to five minutes of commercials to hear maybe two sons and three minutes of inane babble, but because my iPod is the best radio station I have. What's more, satellite radio is incomparably better as well.

The way I see it, the sooner these guys actually have to make an honest living, the better.

Old 03-28-2011, 05:42 PM

19,714 posts, read 20,244,680 times
I say suck all the time.

Old 03-28-2011, 05:54 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,863,416 times
It sucks when you're behind the linguistic social curve.

Old 03-28-2011, 06:21 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,563,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
It sucks when you're behind the linguistic social curve.
Yeah, it blows too.

Old 03-28-2011, 06:22 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,563,298 times
The one I've had enough of is "douchebag"

Old 03-28-2011, 06:26 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
I was watching Law and Order SVU the other night, and Stabler called somebody a douchebag. I wasn't aware that that was the standard on network primetime TV.

Not offended (I don't get offended by language, in general, with very few exceptions), just surprised.

Edit - just as I typed that, a Law and Order CI rerun was on in the background, and some non-regular just said "son of a *****."

Old 03-28-2011, 06:34 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,692,607 times
haha I think I saw that episode, Tabula. There was also an episode of Rookie Blue that used the word "douchenozzle" which I thought was awesome because I've almost never seen/heard anyone else use that word.

Old 03-28-2011, 06:37 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,779,820 times
What is the context in which these words were used? Take blew or blue... As in the past tense of blow. What does the wind do? Blow?

What does a vacuum cleaner do? Suck.

Is that offensive?

And DC I am offended that you took my term Douchenozzle... I love that term.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Radio