Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Radio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2021, 08:21 PM

5,703 posts, read 4,276,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
Typical news stories on NPR last time I tried to listen to NPR in 2020.

Blacks and race issues.

Some sort of LGBTQ story.

With Trump thankfully gone, they are pretty much down to just these 2 now. I turn on NPR every time I'm in the car, out of habit, and that's all it ever is. And then I turn it off. Race and gender equality are important issues and I support them both, but there are many other important issues too and I'm sick to death of only hearing about 2 things all day long, every day. 10 years ago I could listen to NPR all day. Now I rarely last 5 minutes. I don't care if the moon or the southern hemisphere just exploded, I'd still want to hear about something else once in a while.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2021, 06:35 AM

15,944 posts, read 7,009,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
With Trump thankfully gone, they are pretty much down to just these 2 now. I turn on NPR every time I'm in the car, out of habit, and that's all it ever is. And then I turn it off. Race and gender equality are important issues and I support them both, but there are many other important issues too and I'm sick to death of only hearing about 2 things all day long, every day. 10 years ago I could listen to NPR all day. Now I rarely last 5 minutes. I don't care if the moon or the southern hemisphere just exploded, I'd still want to hear about something else once in a while.
I agree for the most part that lately it has been race and gender and covid, all important, but not exclusively. And too much of fund raising/begging.
But i also think they have turned more into news reporting from interview/discussions. That may be a reason why it is not as interesting as it used to be.

Old 07-07-2021, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
I agree for the most part that lately it has been race and gender and covid, all important, but not exclusively. And too much of fund raising/begging.
But i also think they have turned more into news reporting from interview/discussions. That may be a reason why it is not as interesting as it used to be.

NPR does not have discussions, lets make that clear right now.

They have conversations. Everything is a conversation. I guess that's the new safe word that doesn't threaten anyone. I'm sick to death of that too. I want to hear an argument. I want to hear a debate. I wouldn't even mind a brawl once in a while.

But no. Only conversations are allowed now.

Old 07-08-2021, 12:03 PM

15,944 posts, read 7,009,348 times
Quote:
NPR does not have discussions, lets make that clear right now.

They have conversations. Everything is a conversation. I guess that's the new safe word that doesn't threaten anyone. I'm sick to death of that too. I want to hear an argument. I want to hear a debate. I wouldn't even mind a brawl once in a while.

But no. Only conversations are allowed now.
Here you go:

Quote:
Discussion definition is - consideration of a question in open and usually informal debate.
That is all I want, a discussion of a topic that I am interested in - Voting rights, for instance - with factual data, not misrepresentations and just lies. I get that on NPR. Why should facts and thoughtful analysis from people qualified to deliver them threaten anyone? At the end of it I feel informed on all angles of the issue. I donate to my local stations just for this.

If I want brawling I will go to cable news for insane drama and become less informed.
I also know how it feels in states where there are NO NPR stations to be found, and all there is is church, sports, and Fox. And Brawling.
ETA: the other day I heard a great discussion on kindness, both from a psychologist and from a professor from a literature angle.

Old 07-08-2021, 03:45 PM

2,494 posts, read 3,245,156 times
I enjoy Terri Gross on Fresh Air.

NPR doesnt need to paint Trump in any light. He does it for himself.

Old 07-09-2021, 11:35 AM

5,117 posts, read 2,159,880 times
Quote:

Amen!

Old 07-09-2021, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Here you go:

That is all I want, a discussion of a topic that I am interested in - Voting rights, for instance - with factual data, not misrepresentations and just lies. I get that on NPR. Why should facts and thoughtful analysis from people qualified to deliver them threaten anyone? At the end of it I feel informed on all angles of the issue. I donate to my local stations just for this.

If I want brawling I will go to cable news for insane drama and become less informed.
I also know how it feels in states where there are NO NPR stations to be found, and all there is is church, sports, and Fox. And Brawling.
ETA: the other day I heard a great discussion on kindness, both from a psychologist and from a professor from a literature angle.

You will never hear them use the word discussion on NPR. I'm really only referring to the word they use to describe any communication between more than one person. They always always always call it a conversation because its a safe word. And I think they steer everything away from any possible source of contention because they mustn't upset anyone.

Old 07-11-2021, 12:01 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaboy View Post
I enjoy Terri Gross on Fresh Air.
Agreed. She's a talented interviewer.

Old 07-11-2021, 01:10 PM

9,521 posts, read 16,503,270 times
I'm another one that enjoys listening to Terry Gross on Fresh Air. I have listened to her programs for years, and she never disappoints. She is just about the best interviewer around as far as I'm concerned.

I'd truthfully be lost without NPR or PBS for that matter. I'm so thankful we have these 2 networks in this country.

I will agree though the formats on NPR do seem to evolve more around race, gender and Covid. Perhaps they feel that's what is expected in this day and age. I don't know. Still I would take them any day over the CNN, Fox, OAN etc Propaganda News Networks in this country. .

So my vote for NPR favourite host is definitely Terry Gross.

Old 07-14-2021, 03:51 PM

5,117 posts, read 2,159,880 times
Quote:
With Trump thankfully gone, they are pretty much down to just these 2 now.

I was running errands last night and I turned on my jazz station full well knowing NPR was going to be on. Before I hit the station button I was thinking "OK, I'm going to turn on NPR and they won't be talking about race issues." I was wrong How foolish of me LOL.

It's like come on guys, lets get some new material!!!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Radio