Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Radio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2023, 07:39 AM

1,088 posts, read 578,722 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielAvery View Post
My favorite station around here lapses into Christmas music in mid-November every year, calling it their "tradition". I find it all boring and repetitive, so I also have a tradition: the Changing of the Pre-Set Button. But it has to be a success for them or they would not be doing it every year.
Based on everything I've seen, these stations that feature an all-Christmas format see massive spikes in the ratings no matter how early they switch over. I find this interesting, because overall I see a lot more complaining about this practice than I do positive comments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2023, 08:11 AM

8,312 posts, read 3,924,497 times
I still listen to some public radio stations, particularly those with eclectic formats. Of course those same broadcasts are usually streamed as well, so sometimes in the home "listening" is actually streaming.

Either way, the good thing about local radio and TV broadcasts is their immediacy. What other format can have listeners call in and speak with the host in real time?

Old 12-21-2023, 10:34 AM

3,762 posts, read 5,856,746 times
Our FM easy listening station starts Christmas music right after Halloween. UGH. I don't listen much.

I started listening to talk radio with Owen Span, Gordon Liddy and others . Then Rush L. came on and at first I didn't care for him but he grew on me and I still miss his show. Buck and Travis are okay but they talk too much and I wish they would open up the phones more. Also, I don't care about a lot of the sideline topics they talk about : movies, music, vacations, etc. They are not as good as Rush.

I don't listen much to NPR except for the classical music in the afternoon. I don't care to hear their left- wing commentary or guests. NPR and PBS do not get any of my money even though I do watch some TV shows.

Old 12-21-2023, 05:31 PM

5,583 posts, read 5,007,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
I still listen to some public radio stations, particularly those with eclectic formats. Of course those same broadcasts are usually streamed as well, so sometimes in the home "listening" is actually streaming.

Either way, the good thing about local radio and TV broadcasts is their immediacy. What other format can have listeners call in and speak with the host in real time?
I am done with listening to public radio.

Old 12-21-2023, 06:37 PM

323 posts, read 135,609 times
We have three NPR stations here:

*News/commentary/programs

*Alternative music

*Classical music

I only occasionally listen to the classical station. The other music station is fantastic. While it skews modern/current, they might play Sinatra followed by Devo, then Prince or the Clash. I regularly discover great new stuff or some terrific deep cut from the 80s or earlier.

And I catch up on the news (local is great) and have weekly programs I try not to miss (The American Life, Radio Lab, etc.).

Old 12-24-2023, 03:28 PM

39 posts, read 20,373 times
NPR has devolved into a repetitive litany of sponsor ads and ever greater schilling for donations. Much of it is prerecorded, plugged into the programming and repeated over and over and over ad nauseam. Some of their sponsors have dubious merit. I've heard ads for Fisher Investments. Fisher Investments have higher fees that are not the best choice for many. NPR does not care. They want the money. Many NPR programs are reruns repeated over and over and over. We get it. You need money to pay bills. Pity NPR is inching closer and closer to commercial AM with ad after ad and ad.
The ratio of NPR ads (although they may call them something else, are nonetheless ads by any other name) to substantive content has been shrinking your years.
NPR and other entities with a presence on both radio and internet, provide a choice. I'd chose the their internet presence over their radio presence to avoid those annoying radio ads every time.
Reflect back to mid-1990's. The first few years of mass adoption of internet in America were heady and exciting. Fast forward to today, and what is the internet for most people? Has it not become first and foremost a place to entice folks to buy stuff?
Today's internet has put the capital "C" on consumerism.
Many Americans have double car garages. They come in useful to store all the stuff bought on the internet. I see UPS/Fed Ex/Amazon delivery vehicles everywhere. Much of what they carry will eventually end up in a landfill or in your your garage.

Last edited by Bergman; 12-24-2023 at 03:51 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Radio