Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Rainbow Bridge
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2012, 09:46 AM

207 posts, read 445,545 times

Advertisements

We euthanized my dog Meladie 2 days ago and I am so upset. She was 15. She was in great health until she was 13 1/2 and she had a fall on some ice. That flared up degenerative arthritis of both her hips. She couldn't stomach pain meds, so we did laser treatments weekly. She had dementia and would get stuck in corners and the furniture, she had trouble seeing, and it was difficult to keep weight on her...but she still kept going.

Then last week my husband came home and found her under our bed. She must have fallen and when she couldn't get up she would flop and she must have slid under the bed. She wouldn't put weight on her back leg and had a scratch. The vet gave her injection of pain killer and she came home and seemed better (she could walk but her gait pattern was not her normal). I was running back home in between clients to check on her...5 days later i left at 12 and my husband came home at 4 to find her on the floor. I was going to take her to the vet the next day but she seemed better again. I came home 2 days later and found her on the floor again. She could walk if you stood her up but she couldn't stand up on her own. The vet felt it was time especially since my husband and I both have to work and all our family works during the day, so we had no one to take care of her. I feel so guilty though...maybe If I had done this or done that she would have lived longer. Maybe I should have kept her for a week instead of just one day. I just felt like if I didn't do it within the 24 hours, I never would. I spent the day feeding her bacon and at the park; and giving her lots of pets and snuggles. Now I wonder if I did the right thing...I feel so bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2012, 10:00 AM

726 posts, read 1,229,725 times
I'm sorry for your lose. It is the hardest thing you can do. I had to do it a few times and I still seek forgiveness. Time is the only thing that helps ease the pain.

Old 09-09-2012, 10:04 AM

1,457 posts, read 4,055,986 times
I'm so sorry for your loss. We always question ourselves like that, at least I do too. Youu did the right thing for Meladie, and now she's free of pain. She had a good long life with you, and in time you will know you did the right thing. Having to make that decision is never easy no matter how many times you have to do it.

Old 09-09-2012, 09:07 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,429,508 times
You absolutely did the right thing. More time would have meant more falls, maybe worsening of her condition. I think it's human nature to second guess yourself, because you care so much and because it's such a difficult thing to do. But it was the loving thing to do. RIP Meladie.

Old 09-10-2012, 05:12 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,540,413 times
We've had so many pets over the years and have run through the what-if scenarios so many times. But, in retrospect, my only regret was waiting too long. A day late is far more painful for you and your pet that a day early - exactly why you made the decision when you did.

You gave Meladie the kindest gift of all by releasing her from the pain.

Old 09-11-2012, 09:08 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,841,371 times
It is the last, best thing we can do for our furbabies, to let them go in dig it and in peace. She knew you loved her. <<hugs>>

Old 09-16-2012, 04:59 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,355,097 times
I am so sorry for your loss, but realize that you did what was best for her, which is the true test of love.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Rainbow Bridge