Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Rainbow Bridge
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2014, 07:38 PM

3,513 posts, read 6,377,850 times

Advertisements

Reenale - you won't ever heal completely, the special place in your heart will have some scar tissue, but over time the sharp pain of loss will gradually turn to a dull ache that never quite goes completely away.

When I lost Solly, my heart dog extraordinaire, the only thing that got me out of bed was the fact there there were 3 other dogs depending on me for their care.

Solly was a black lab mix who had been with me since his puppyhood and to honor his memory I have taken to adopting old black labs. None of them has ever "replaced" him and none ever will but with each one it has been a joy to share whatever time they have remaining and an honor to care for them in their last months or years.

Give yourself whatever time you need to grieve your loss but do not go the rest of your life without the special blessing of having a dog to share it with. Life is better when you have a dog (or two) to share it with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2014, 08:33 PM

12,970 posts, read 9,659,574 times
Sorry to hear about your dog but you can take solace in he had a long life. And even though your heart is broken in grief, you will find a way to move on with your life. These things will happen and we are never ready, but somehow we find a way to carry on with life without our good friend. Things will get better as time goes on, just remember all the happy time and all the pictures you have to look at. Good luck

Old 05-16-2014, 08:38 PM

160 posts, read 267,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
So sorry for your loss!

Are you familiar with Rainbowbridge? Its a helpful website for owners dealing with the loss of a fur baby.

Don't put the decision off too long.....I know you want to keep your baby as long as you can, but you must think of what's best for him. If he's in pain, suffering, no quality to his life, help him cross over.

Now, what I'm about to say might sound harsh, but all pet owners need to hear it....

If you put off euthanasia too long, it no longer is euthanasia. Euthanasia literally means mercy killing. All living creatures will eventually die, but it can be a long, painful ordeal. However, there can be a point of no return for euthanasia. When the body shuts down, dehydration sets in, veins shrivel, it can become impossible to find a vein to perform a painless euthanasia.

I let a cat go too long, guess I was in denial, but I kept her alive long after I should have, "supported" by greedy vets and my American Express. Finally, I had to admit she was beyond hope. I took her to an ER clinic, they couldn't find a vein, I should have brought her home and let her complete they dying process in my arms, instead.........I'm tearing up now typing about this and it was over 15 years ago......they "sedated" her, then, injected her in the heart I l;et them do that, thinking I was doing right,.......that was my last gift to her, a painful death..........

I since learned, IF you choose euthanasia, do so when its still really a mercy, not a convenience............

now I need to go and cry some

OP...God Bless and find strength to do what's right for your Yorkie

Thank you so much for sharing your story...I am so sorry for your loss the pain never goes away. What you did was the right thing giving your options at the time, your cat was sedated and did not feel the injection into her heart.

Thank you for mentioning the Rainbowbridge that is what I am looking for a site. Bless your soul

Old 05-16-2014, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
Reenale - you won't ever heal completely, the special place in your heart will have some scar tissue, but over time the sharp pain of loss will gradually turn to a dull ache that never quite goes completely away.

When I lost Solly, my heart dog extraordinaire, the only thing that got me out of bed was the fact there there were 3 other dogs depending on me for their care.

Solly was a black lab mix who had been with me since his puppyhood and to honor his memory I have taken to adopting old black labs. None of them has ever "replaced" him and none ever will but with each one it has been a joy to share whatever time they have remaining and an honor to care for them in their last months or years.

Give yourself whatever time you need to grieve your loss but do not go the rest of your life without the special blessing of having a dog to share it with. Life is better when you have a dog (or two) to share it with.
Thank you so much, I also feel he cannot be replaced because our relationship is so special. I to am honored to be place as the trusted steward of this lovely dogs life.

Old 05-17-2014, 07:05 AM

3,339 posts, read 9,355,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reenale View Post
But we have a special bond and no one could ever take his place. We have had such a strong emotional bond and share so much love with each other. I am going to miss him and our relationship so much.
Reenale, you will always have that special bond. Once that bond ismade, it can never be broken, and you will carry him in your heart, always. You will physically FEEL him in your heart. I am so sorry you're struggling so. Letting go is the hardest thing in the world. I don't wish it on anyone, but when we love animals, losing them is the part of the deal we can't bring ourselves to think about -- until it happens. It's awful, and I feel for you.

But there is light at the end of the tunnel. Your heart expands to accommodate more and more love. At some point when you're ready, you'll have a new dog, and you will love that dog SO much, but the love you have for your Yorkie won't get pushed out. He will always be there, right alongside the love you have for your new companion.

I know this because we lose our two "heart dogs" within eight weeks of each other. After losing the first one, we rescued another dog. She became our "bridge over troubled waters". We love her more each day, and we've now had her for a year and a half. We also got a puppy a year ago, and the same applies to him. We always say we couldn't love them any more than we do, and then the next day, we discover we do love them even more.

Does that mean we forget our former dogs or file them away in our minds? Absolutely not. I choke up all the time. I cry for them still. But most of the time, when I see photos and videos of them, I smile through my tears, always so grateful we had them when we did, and for as long as we did.

I pray yourlittle guy can pass peacefully and that you will find some peace with his passing. Life really does go on. It doesn't seem that way at first, and we all need different things as we adjust to loss. But you will get there. God bless.

Old 05-17-2014, 09:54 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,348,515 times
Reenale.....I am so very sorry you are hurting.

We lost our Angel (lab) in February......I know life will never be the same but, I promise you will feel a little better each day.

((((((hugs)))))

Old 05-17-2014, 10:33 AM

25,445 posts, read 9,809,749 times
Reenale, I am so very sorry about your baby. My DH and I had to say goodbye to our 17 year old Maggie kitty princess just this past Wed. I truly understand your grief, dear one. Oh, if only we didn't have to make these decisions and think about living without them. I am sending you many many hugs as you go through this. There are no words, my friend, just hugs.

Old 05-17-2014, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaMcG View Post
Reenale, you will always have that special bond. Once that bond ismade, it can never be broken, and you will carry him in your heart, always. You will physically FEEL him in your heart. I am so sorry you're struggling so. Letting go is the hardest thing in the world. I don't wish it on anyone, but when we love animals, losing them is the part of the deal we can't bring ourselves to think about -- until it happens. It's awful, and I feel for you.

But there is light at the end of the tunnel. Your heart expands to accommodate more and more love. At some point when you're ready, you'll have a new dog, and you will love that dog SO much, but the love you have for your Yorkie won't get pushed out. He will always be there, right alongside the love you have for your new companion.

I know this because we lose our two "heart dogs" within eight weeks of each other. After losing the first one, we rescued another dog. She became our "bridge over troubled waters". We love her more each day, and we've now had her for a year and a half. We also got a puppy a year ago, and the same applies to him. We always say we couldn't love them any more than we do, and then the next day, we discover we do love them even more.

Does that mean we forget our former dogs or file them away in our minds? Absolutely not. I choke up all the time. I cry for them still. But most of the time, when I see photos and videos of them, I smile through my tears, always so grateful we had them when we did, and for as long as we did.

I pray yourlittle guy can pass peacefully and that you will find some peace with his passing. Life really does go on. It doesn't seem that way at first, and we all need different things as we adjust to loss. But you will get there. God bless.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Reenale.....I am so very sorry you are hurting.

We lost our Angel (lab) in February......I know life will never be the same but, I promise you will feel a little better each day.

((((((hugs)))))
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
Reenale, I am so very sorry about your baby. My DH and I had to say goodbye to our 17 year old Maggie kitty princess just this past Wed. I truly understand your grief, dear one. Oh, if only we didn't have to make these decisions and think about living without them. I am sending you many many hugs as you go through this. There are no words, my friend, just hugs.

Thank you all so much for reaching out to me with your kind comforting words in my time of need. I appreciated you all sharing your stories of great loss and giving me the courage to face this knowing we will always have a spiritual connection. I am soo sorry for your loss and grateful you shared your stories and gave me encouragement of healing.

Old 05-17-2014, 06:58 PM

548 posts, read 1,038,600 times
I am so very sorry for your pain and what you are going through. Like barndog said grief is an individual thing. I don't know how you will cope but remember our pets are some of the most important aspects of our lives and you will need to give yourself permission to grieve and to let go. Many ((HUGS)) to you.

Old 05-17-2014, 07:19 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,590,447 times
Very sorry to hear about your dog. Having lost 4 dogs of my own in the past and one being my once in a life time dog I do know the heart ache and the void it can leave in one's life. No no dog will ever replace that one nor should it as each dog is an individual and your relationship to each dog is different as it should be. I know I have gained from each and everyone and so to me the sad thing would be to have not known each of them.

When a dog dies yes the physical dog is gone but the dog lives on forever in your memories and each time you tell a story about the dog, that dog is right there by your side alive again if only for the few moments it takes to tell the tale. And when you sense that it tends to make you smile. It may take awhile for you to get to that point but hopefully one day you will feel that dog right there with you as you tell a tale about it and that smile will come. Death is just the other end of a physical life but does not have to be some ugly creature we all fear as it may just be the beginning of a new chapter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Rainbow Bridge