Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Rainbow Bridge
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2014, 12:56 PM

9 posts, read 12,188 times

Advertisements

I can't remember watching my family cry so hard in a very long time.

Yesterday, we had to put our 10 year old great dane, Cole to sleep. A few weeks ago, he tripped on a chord and caught himself, but he had a slight limp in his leg after that. We assumed that he had slightly tweaked a muscle, but it just kept getting worse. Yesterday, we called the mobile vet to come look at his leg and possibly prescribe us some anti-inflammatory medication or give us some insight, but instead she diagnosed him with bone cancer and suggested we put him down due to his age (2 years passed average GD lifespan) and the pain he was in

We did what we felt was the right thing, and before the vets came back to Cole's bed where he was peacefully lying, we all laid around him and pet him and told him what a good boy he was. We all got to feed him some bologna, which was his favorite food since he was a puppy. My mom stayed in the room with him because he was her baby.

It's been hard. It feels like there was a giant hole in our heart where our gentle giant used to be. I know we did the right thing, but it's hard because of how sudden it was. One of our other dogs has been sick since yesterday morning, and I feel it's because of the stress.

This was my favorite picture I took of him. I had to take some pictures of the roses, but he decided to come in because he wanted some portraits done

How do you guys cope with the loss of a pet? Since losing him, my two other dogs have been my biggest source of comfort. As we all held each other in a circle on the bed and cried yesterday, our border collie came in the middle of the circle and licked everyone's tears away. Animals are such awesome creatures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2014, 05:36 PM

4,490 posts, read 4,978,388 times
What a sweet picture. Look at that gray muzzle.
You take it one day at a time.
They hole that is left in our lives when our fur kids leave is so massive, it's just hard to breathe sometimes.

SO sorry for your loss, I'm sure it was so unexpected.
We lost our 2 boys a few years apart a few years ago.
they lived as long as your Cole. be happy they were a part of your life for so long.
The sadness is slowly replaced with loving, funny, memories.

Old 08-02-2014, 05:44 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,417,593 times
I don't think there's anything harder than losing a pet. The only thing that truly helps is time, although of course you'll still miss him. The first time this happened to me, I worried that as the years went by I'd start to forget some of the things my dog did with me, or some of the things that made him special. I wrote down all of these memories, and it helped me a lot.
I'm very sorry for your loss.

Old 08-02-2014, 08:00 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
SO sorry for your loss. He lived a good long life for A GD. I believe he is now running the great fields of the sky, happy and healthy, with lots of new friends. My Alixe and Pete were there to greet him. <<hugs>>

Old 08-02-2014, 08:08 PM

6,988 posts, read 4,809,652 times
I'm sorry. Hugs to you and family, and prayers for sweet Cole. Rest in Peace, Big Guy.

Old 08-04-2014, 02:01 PM

5,119 posts, read 16,592,135 times
Thanks for sharing Cole's story. I love that picture. Talk about him often and relive the memories he left you & your family.

Old 08-05-2014, 10:42 PM

9 posts, read 12,188 times
Thank you everyone.

It's been a rough few days but it's getting better. I am so incredibly thankful that he lived such a long and healthy life, especially since his lifelong companion (a female GD) died unexpectedly from complications due to valley fever a year and a half ago. The day following his death, we found pictures of him when he was a puppy, very healthy and happy. After having him for so long, it was easy to forget how small he was when we first found him--about half the size of the beagle we had at the time. We laughed some more, we cried some more, but seeing those pictures really helped the healing process. We are all comforted in knowing that he is no longer in the pain he must have been in for quite some time, and he is instead enjoying his youthful body as he plays with our other dearly departed pets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Rainbow Bridge