Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Rainbow Bridge
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2015, 12:34 PM

160 posts, read 384,796 times

Advertisements

Yesterday I put my Boston terrier Parker down. I gave her the gift of not suffering. When I woke up this morning I had a smile on my face knowing she is at peace then later I couldn't stop crying. She moved in with me in my house and now she is gone she was always jealous if I had a dog over. And right now I am feeling later down the road I would love another dog but does it mean it would be disrespectful to her to let another dog into my life?
Next month I plan on volunteering at the humane society.i love animals more than humans because animals don't judge they only judge your love you give to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2015, 12:53 PM

37,106 posts, read 41,277,178 times
So sorry for your loss, Hourglass.

DS's family lost two dogs this year, both unexpectedly, the second only a few weeks ago. Having only one dog where they had three before was absolutely unacceptable to them!

This week they corrected the family canine deficiency by adopting a small mixed breed terrier from the local shelter. I met her today, and she is a little doll.

No, there is no disrespect in getting a new dog after a furry friend passes. You are not replacing Parker, you are just giving a new dog the blessing of a home. Only you can tell when the time is right. I suspect that there is somepup at the Humane Society just waiting for you.

Tissue warning, folks:

The Last Will and Testament of Silverdene Emblem O'Neill

Old 01-16-2015, 12:58 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,762,355 times
I'm sorry to hear about your Boston. I don't believe it's disrespectful to her to get another dog. IMO it's a nice way to honor her memory by saving another one.

Old 01-16-2015, 01:00 PM

Thank you

Old 01-16-2015, 01:06 PM

3,302 posts, read 3,028,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hourglass45 View Post
Yesterday I put my Boston terrier Parker down. I gave her the gift of not suffering. When I woke up this morning I had a smile on my face knowing she is at peace then later I couldn't stop crying. She moved in with me in my house and now she is gone she was always jealous if I had a dog over. And right now I am feeling later down the road I would love another dog but does it mean it would be disrespectful to her to let another dog into my life?
Next month I plan on volunteering at the humane society.i love animals more than humans because animals don't judge they only judge your love you give to them.
You have my deepest sympathy. I cried torrents off and on for more than a year when each of my two greyhounds died. I would think I was doing fine and then all of a sudden I would see something or think of something that reminded me of them, and the tears would just be there.

You did indeed give her a gift, not only just now in easing her suffering, but I'm sure, all through the wonderful lifetime she had with you.

I think if you want to get another dog, that would actually be a huge tribute to how great Parker was, and how much she enhanced your enjoyment of life. It's like the opposite of saying, "That was so awful, I never want to do it again." Instead, it was so wonderful, you do want to do it again.

I always say that each of our pets creates a particular, special space in our hearts that only they can fill. When they pass, that space remains empty--no other pet, no matter how beloved, can fill it. And if you believe in the afterlife, as I do, then when we reunite with them, I believe that all those spaces are filled up, and our heart is whole again.

Old 01-16-2015, 01:41 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,371,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hourglass45 View Post
No, not at all. If you could ask Parker that question, he would probably answer something close to this-

"You gave me a wonderful life and a loving home while I was here. But my time has come, and I must move on. You should use this opportunity to give another dog the same chance for a good life that you gave me. It's the best thing you could do to honor my memory. I will always be there with you, in your heart."

Last edited by catdad7x; 01-16-2015 at 02:55 PM..

Old 01-16-2015, 01:52 PM

You guys are so nice. This really helps. I keep telling myself it's okay to grieve and I will come around to love another as much as I loved Parker. Thank you

Old 01-21-2015, 02:37 PM

25,445 posts, read 9,809,749 times
Hourglass, I am so sorry for your loss. Yes, oh yes, you should absolutely get another precious little life to love. Whenever you are ready. There are so many who need someone like you. Thinking of you as you go through this time of grieving. It's so hard. I still miss and even talk to my kitty we had to put down in May. I have one boy left, who is my heart. Heaven help me when something happens to him. They find places in our hearts where no one else can touch.

Old 01-22-2015, 02:38 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,590,447 times
I agree there is no disrespect in getting another dog. To me getting another dogs says about the late dog I loved sharing my life with a dog so much that I can not imagine life without a dog in it..what a great tribute to any dog. It is indeed sad that dogs have such shorter lives as yes saying goodbye is always a sad heart breaking experience that rips a hole in ones heart: However, Having done so quite few times I do believe what would be even sadder would be to have not had each and every dog I have owned in my life. Each dog is different and brings something special into my life and I love each one. Each is special and meant to share a part of my life. I have had one very special dog who I call my once in a life time dog but even then I felt no guilt loving the next dog as it is possible to love many in a life time and it never takes away the love of another.

I also find that while they are gone from the physical world they remain with me and when I tell someone a tale about one of them or write something on here about them for those few minutes I can feel them here with me again and that makes me smile. My dogs are all buried in my heart so come anytime I call and no one can take them away as memories are part of life too.

When the right time for a new dog comes you will know. There will be a dog you meet that just clicks with you and you will know it is right. The only advice I have there is let go of the old one as too many people hang on to old dogs then compare the new dog to the old one and it can never live up to memories. Our memories seem to leave out the rough times we had and instead see only the perfect dog. People that do that are often unhappy until they do let go and see the new dog for who it is an individual different from any other dog. Sorry about your loss.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Rainbow Bridge