Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Rainbow Bridge
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2018, 10:00 AM

1 posts, read 740 times

Advertisements

Hi, my dog had a heart murmor which caused her heart to become so big that it was up against her ribs. She developed a lot of fluid which went to her stomach during the last few days of her life. She passed away on Tuesday and was meant to be getting euthanised that day at 5pm. Unfortunately, she passed away a few hours too early. She was walking and doing a cough that dogs normally do when they have a heart murmor. But this one she did sounded a lot worse. After she coughed she walked a couple steps and then collapsed. She was breathing for about a minute and then passed away.

My question is... Did she definitely die of a heart attack and how much pain was she in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2018, 10:12 AM

4,286 posts, read 4,763,472 times
No way to tell what happened or how much pain she was in. I'm sure she had to be uncomfortable with the extra fluid on her body.

I'm very sorry for your loss.

Old 05-10-2018, 10:36 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,835,634 times
My father died of congestive heart failure. He didn't make a sound so I don't think he was in pain. He had asked for water a few minutes prior so he was conscious. It is almost certain that that's what killed her. So sorry for your loss.

Old 05-10-2018, 11:16 AM

5,094 posts, read 12,590,447 times
I doubt if it was a heart attack but as SouthernBelleInUtah says it sounds like she died of congestive heart failure ( CHF). My first dog many years ago also had a heart murmur then at 14 she had developed lymphoma which I decided to do nothing about and when I came home from work one morning she did not want to eat and she had always loved to eat so I knew it was time. Made an appointment at the vet for later that afternoon to have her put down. I took her and some lunch over to the park to spend some time alone with her sitting under a tree as I had a puppy and cat at home too. She suddenly started coughing and panting hard and I knew she was in CHF so scooped her up and rushed to the vets. On the way there she placed her paw on my leg before she passed out. She was almost dead by the time the vet gave her the meds. I would not say she had been in any pain, maybe a bit panicked as when your lungs are full of fluid you can not catch your breath. With my dog it came on suddenly but your dog sounds like it was a slower onset as she had fluid overload for a few days mine did not so your dog may have had some discomfort like a bloated feeling but not an intense pain like a heart attack.

Sorry for your loss it is never easy to say good bye even when we know it is time. But I know with my dog I was comforted by the fact that yes I was correct in making that call that morning as what happened left no doubt in my mind about it being time to say good bye.

Old 05-10-2018, 03:08 PM

7,336 posts, read 2,743,364 times
I am so very sorry for your loss. It is difficult to lose one of our loved ones.

Old 05-10-2018, 03:15 PM

2,373 posts, read 1,914,949 times
So sorry about the loss of your dog. One thing I know for sure, she was so happy to have to with her helping her feel safe and loved. They get so much of the comfort and identity from their humans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Rainbow Bridge