Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Rainbow Bridge
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 03:42 PM

7,395 posts, read 19,344,251 times

Advertisements

Blondie, I am so sorry you lost your friend. I had to put one of my dogs to sleep about 3 weeks ago and it hurts deeply.
Remember the good times you had together.
You'll cry for awhile but she will always be with you in spirit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2009, 10:35 AM

4,334 posts, read 13,662,846 times
My oldest dog Ginger has been lying around listless for the past two days. At first I thought she was sick. But now I know she is depressed over Suzie being gone. They were best buddies for over four years before I started fostering and adopted a couple of other shelter dogs along the way. What can I do for her? I just brought her in my bedroom and helped her up on my bed. She is too old to jump on her own. I am tring to cheer her up but it is not working! I feel so bad for her too!

Old 02-01-2009, 12:16 PM

56 posts, read 120,998 times
Blondie, firstly, I'd like to say that I'm so sorry for the loss of Suzie. What a beautiful picture of her.
Re: Ginger acting differently since Suzie is gone...
I have been experiencing this with my (now) oldest dog, Teddy. He will be 15 in March and he has spent 14years with Elvis (Elvis would have been 16yrs on Feb 27th and passed in October).
Our youngest dog Randy, who turned 1 in December tries to play with Teddy but he wont go for it. Elvis was actually the more playful out of them so Randy would follow Elvis and try to play with him all day long. I worry about Teddy a lot now. I wonder if he's lost his will to live since Elvis his buddy is gone. He eats and drinks like he should but he hasn't done much of anything else really. Randy has become the clingy one like Elvis was now. He never wants to leave my side, he sleeps with me, he cuddles if I'm watching tv on the couch. It's all so strange and I wish I could figure it out.
Teddy is also too old to jump plus he has occasional arthritis in his paws. I do my best to make him not feel left out but I know where you are coming from. My heart breaks for him too. There's not much more we could do for them but show them love. ((hugs))

Old 02-01-2009, 12:52 PM

1,142 posts, read 2,816,440 times
I am so sorry about Suzie. I have lost three dogs and a cat so I understand what you are going through. You are losing a family member, no doubt about it. You have to do whatever you feel helps you through this time. Don't let anyone tell you different.

I think pets mourn too. I noticed that when we lost our first cocker spaniel, our other dog, Romulas, went into a depression. He developed a nerve disorder during this time and went downhill pretty fast. This went on for a few years and we thought we'd lose him sooner than later. During this time, we decided we were ready for another cocker spaniel to join our family. When she arrived, you should have seen the difference in Romulas! He outlived the prediction by the vet that he only had a year or so to live, and made it to almost 10 years old. We didn't realize how much he missed his buddy until the second dog came into our lives.

Take care of yourself and let yourself mourn. You lost someone special and it'll take time to work it through. One day, instead of feeling sad, you will find yourself smiling at the thought of your pet and remembering all the great times you had together.

Old 02-01-2009, 05:39 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,424,010 times
My heart just aches for you. I was sure I was going to lose my old Girl this week...so far so good....But I just know what an empty feeling you have in your heart. Many virtual hugs going out to you!
Yes, I am more than sure your Ginger is missing her old pal. Sometimes, in our time of grief, we forget they grieve as well. Do you have an old toy or something with Suzies scent on it. It may bring some comfort to Ginger. Gentle hugs to Ginger as well.

Old 02-03-2009, 05:06 AM

1,106 posts, read 2,954,669 times
So sorry to hear of your loss.

Old 02-03-2009, 10:12 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,662,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
My heart just aches for you. I was sure I was going to lose my old Girl this week...so far so good....But I just know what an empty feeling you have in your heart. Many virtual hugs going out to you!
Yes, I am more than sure your Ginger is missing her old pal. Sometimes, in our time of grief, we forget they grieve as well. Do you have an old toy or something with Suzies scent on it. It may bring some comfort to Ginger. Gentle hugs to Ginger as well.
Thanx for such kind words Shelby. I hope your old girl is ok. This is the sad part about having our furry friends.....this day must come sooner or later! And most of us hate to face it and have such a hard time getting thru it. It is very hard. I have had my Ginger for about 13 years now and she is soooo sweet. I know I will freak when her time comes!

Old 02-05-2009, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie621 View Post
Thanx for such kind words Shelby. I hope your old girl is ok. This is the sad part about having our furry friends.....this day must come sooner or later! And most of us hate to face it and have such a hard time getting thru it. It is very hard. I have had my Ginger for about 13 years now and she is soooo sweet. I know I will freak when her time comes!
I feel so badly for you, I know how you feel in regards to the dread AND the loss. I am starting to feel that way with my 7 year old kitty Misty, although my first kitty lived to be almost 19, you just don't know. Animals give us so much unconditional love and acceptance, it's natural to feel the grief. Allow yourself to grieve any way you need to, and anytime you need to vent, there are some wonderful people here that are very sensitive and caring.

Old 02-05-2009, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
My heart just aches for you. I was sure I was going to lose my old Girl this week...so far so good....
Oh, I am so sorry you're going through this. I hope that time doesn't come for a long time. As always, we're here for you, as you have been there for so many others. Big hugs to YOU !

Old 02-05-2009, 05:50 PM

2 posts, read 2,616 times
Unhappy Blondie621

Dear Blondie

I feel your pain besides being your best friend I have been were you are now. She was and is a beatuiful girl. Since I knew her she holds a special place in my heart so I can say with truth that she is in a happy place and she will always love you and your heart and soul for that is what saved her in the first place. So be brave keep her in your heart and soul and time will take care of the rest.

INGYK
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Rainbow Bridge