Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Rainbow Bridge
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2009, 07:42 AM

3,010 posts, read 6,304,972 times

Advertisements

I was out of town when I received a call from my fiancee telling me that my beloved Maggie fell ill suddenly and was being rushed to the emergency animal clinic. I knew she was old (14), but had no idea she would leave us so swiflty. Someone told me that pets wait for their owners to go away before they die. I don;t know whether that is true or not, but I feel bad that I was thousands of miles away.

I swore I would never have another one of my pets put to sleep, but I did not want Maggie to suffer anymore nor live a sub-standard quality of life. They could have kept her alive artificially, but that would not have been in her best interests and it would have been selfish of me to hold on.

I had to give permission for her to be put to sleep and I also called two our dear friends to be with my fiancee as well. In fact, one of them gave Maggie to me when she was a small kitten. One of my best friends in the world took and buried her in his wooded and peaceful backyard. It felt empty coming back home and not seeing her, but I know she is at peace and I am thankful she had a loving home and parents to live her long life with. Thankfully, I have 4 other cats, but it's not the same without you, Maggie . We will miss you and never forget you...

Thank you all

Gil
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2009, 05:03 PM

549 posts, read 2,205,022 times
First of all, my heartfelt condolences go out to you...as do my prayers that you find comfort in knowing that your beloved friend is okay, she's in a glorious place where she's forever young and healthy. I know it's difficult now, and only time will ease that sense of loss.

Our loyal friends are known to wander off, when they know they're about to leave us...so perhaps your friend waited for you to not be there...somehow believing this, feeling that they wanted to try and spare you added pain.

Allow yourself time to grieve her loss and eventually the happier memories will replace the hard ones you're enduring now. There's many of us here that have lost our beloved friends, mine was in November, Barnie...of almost 18 years. She remains close, deep within my heart and memories....as you'll find your friend is with you.

God bless and comfort you!

Old 03-31-2009, 07:33 PM
bjh

60,055 posts, read 30,373,238 times
I'm sorry you lost your friend. And it must make it that much tougher not to have been there.

You did give her a long and happy life, too. YOu can be glad and proud of that!

Old 03-31-2009, 08:46 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,583,573 times
I am so sorry for your loss...it must have been so hard to be in that position, but you were right to put her comfort and well-being first and allow her suffering to end. Take comfort in the fact that she is free of pain, and give some extra love to the 4 remaining kitties, as they will probably miss her too.

Old 04-01-2009, 07:08 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,408,854 times
My heart just breaks for you. I am so sorry for the loss of your dear Maggie. I can tell you from fresh experience, time will help heal the large hole in your heart

Old 04-01-2009, 08:49 AM

Sorry for the late replys, all, but I sincerely appreciate your condolences. It's going to be hard for a while, but we will get through this. She was my "crazy" cat, always sneaking into places she knew she didn;t belong and hiding from me, lol. I will miss that. I do take great comfort in the fact that she was not with someone who mistreated or abused her. Thank you again

Gil

Old 04-01-2009, 09:05 PM

1,116 posts, read 1,132,127 times
You have my deepest sympathy. She must have been one special cat. And if you had her for 14 years she had a wonderful life and lots of love. In time, the memories will be a wonderful thing for you to cherish. Healing will come. Thinking of you.

Old 04-02-2009, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3chidogs View Post
You have my deepest sympathy. She must have been one special cat. And if you had her for 14 years she had a wonderful life and lots of love. In time, the memories will be a wonderful thing for you to cherish. Healing will come. Thinking of you.
Thank you so much!

Old 04-07-2009, 05:56 AM

1,106 posts, read 2,953,621 times
So sorry for your loss.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Rainbow Bridge