Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2010, 04:33 PM

36 posts, read 84,091 times

Advertisements

I've junked a lot of cars in my time and know the procedure only too well.

I've never junked one in NC, however, so if you have your help is most appreciated.

1. Normally the junk yard would come and I'd sign the title over to them. I'm noticing my NC title has a place for a notary's signature. So I have to have the junk dealer go with me to a notary?

2. I don't expect to be paid but I don't pay because of the fact that they make money off the parts. If you know of a good salvage yard and can recommend it, that would be great. If you dealt with one that does pay, even better. The car cannot be donated to a charity; it's inoperable but with many usable parts.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2010, 07:21 PM

1,832 posts, read 5,091,376 times
can you possibly donate it to a local charity?

Donate Car - WUNC North Carolina

Old 06-18-2010, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annesg View Post
can you possibly donate it to a local charity?

Donate Car - WUNC North Carolina
Thanks for responding. I appreciate it.

No, I can't. It's not in shape to be donated. They usually want cars that are running and don't need a lot of repairs and this fits neither category. In addition I need money and contacting a junk yard could possibly get me some, and, if that doesn't happen, it's a much faster process because this what they do all the time.

Old 06-19-2010, 11:31 AM

4 posts, read 4,613 times
Call LKQ on the edge of Raleigh/Garner and Wake/Johnston County. You could also take it to TT&E in Garner if you have access to a trailer. They pay you based on the weight, they don't care about the parts.

Old 06-19-2010, 04:21 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,454,017 times
I put an add on craigslist (and post a picture or several!). My car had no engine, transmission, power steering pump, a/c compressor. radiator, fuel pump, relays, and a host of other parts. I got $100 for it. The local junkyards wouldn't pay me anything because I had taken the guts out. It was sold literally within about 15 minutes.

There is a section for a notary but you must not need it filled out when it's settled as "junked" because the guys had me sign the title at my house with no notary present.

Old 06-20-2010, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stallings.angie View Post
Call LKQ on the edge of Raleigh/Garner and Wake/Johnston County. You could also take it to TT&E in Garner if you have access to a trailer. They pay you based on the weight, they don't care about the parts.
Thank you. I really appreciate the response.

Old 06-20-2010, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
I put an add on craigslist (and post a picture or several!). My car had no engine, transmission, power steering pump, a/c compressor. radiator, fuel pump, relays, and a host of other parts. I got $100 for it. The local junkyards wouldn't pay me anything because I had taken the guts out. It was sold literally within about 15 minutes.

There is a section for a notary but you must not need it filled out when it's settled as "junked" because the guys had me sign the title at my house with no notary present.
I thought of the Craigslist idea but I want to avoid dealing with a private party. Junk and salvage people do this type of thing everyday so I have a feeling it would be much less hassle.

I'm going to check with the DMV on the notary thing; I'm not sure I would simply take the word of someone who purchased my car and said "oh, you don't need to do that."

I appreciate your response.

Old 06-20-2010, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimLovesNC View Post
I thought of the Craigslist idea but I want to avoid dealing with a private party. Junk and salvage people do this type of thing everyday so I have a feeling it would be much less hassle.

I'm going to check with the DMV on the notary thing; I'm not sure I would simply take the word of someone who purchased my car and said "oh, you don't need to do that."

I appreciate your response.
Everyone who responded was either a junk yard or someone who bought parts cars for a living. Call a junk yard they say you just sign the title over to them right there and they take it.

Old 07-13-2010, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Everyone who responded was either a junk yard or someone who bought parts cars for a living. Call a junk yard they say you just sign the title over to them right there and they take it.
I just wanted to come back here and thank everyone for their input and sort of end the thread. Wheelsup; you were correct on this. I ended up going with Price's Auto Parts in Knightdale. Nice folks and it was very easy.

Thanks again.

Old 07-13-2010, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimLovesNC View Post
I just wanted to come back here and thank everyone for their input and sort of end the thread. Wheelsup; you were correct on this. I ended up going with Price's Auto Parts in Knightdale. Nice folks and it was very easy.

Thanks again.
Glad it worked out! I hear Price's is a good place to get parts as well, I'll have to check them out some day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary