Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 07:25 AM

3,031 posts, read 9,092,085 times

Advertisements

From the WRAL website this AM: I'm more glad about my decision to concentrate on Chapel Hill.

Wake Schools File Appeal to Allow Exception to Year-Round Plan

Posted: Today at 6:28 a.m.

Raleigh — Attorneys for the Wake County school board have made it official.

They filed paperwork Friday with the state Court of Appeals to allow an exception to a judge's ruling that makes year-round school voluntary.

The school board wants the authority to assign students who enroll after June 4 at its discretion.

The board wants the courts to allow them that flexibility while it appeals the case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2007, 07:43 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,119,385 times
They had pretty much already stated that they were going to do this, so it's not a big suprise. I personally think they should treat newcomers the same way as they did existing residents, but at the same time, people who are moving into the area should already know which school they were going to be assigned to. I'm sure there are exceptions (like people who might have been building a house before the conversions took place), but most people moving here would have already known if their base school was TR or traditional and should theoratically have choosen where they live accordingly.

Old 06-19-2007, 08:21 AM

I'm beginning to feel better and better about my decision to look in Chapel Hill.

Old 06-19-2007, 12:55 PM

53 posts, read 169,929 times
I agree I am being transfered by the goverment to the area. My wife and I would like a traditional schedual but we understand that the area we might move to in wake forest might be on the all year schedual just got to deal and make the best of it. But I do understand others. My wife is a stay home mom and my two boys are 5 and 3. My oldest does have some special educational needs not major major ones but still has needs so the school is more important to us then the schedual. Plus with the 5 weeks of vacation I get and the ablity to take it pritty much when I want and for as long as I want makes it easier. I understand that 90% of others do not have that ability so vacations and doing things might become a issue.

Old 06-19-2007, 01:23 PM

1,485 posts, read 4,157,697 times
Default lets see

Quote:
Originally Posted by webfootma View Post
From the WRAL website this AM: I'm more glad about my decision to concentrate on Chapel Hill.

Wake Schools File Appeal to Allow Exception to Year-Round Plan

Posted: Today at 6:28 a.m.

Raleigh — Attorneys for the Wake County school board have made it official.

They filed paperwork Friday with the state Court of Appeals to allow an exception to a judge's ruling that makes year-round school voluntary.

The school board wants the authority to assign students who enroll after June 4 at its discretion.

The board wants the courts to allow them that flexibility while it appeals the case.

I dont see why they are wasting money for this when so many people decided to stay in yr round schools? Smells fishy. I expect it to be overturned due to possible corruption.

Old 06-19-2007, 04:38 PM

550 posts, read 1,488,673 times
I don't understand why year-round schools is such a big deal to people. Can someone explain to me why you're so against it? The only possible downside I see is if your kids get put on different tracks, but the school system should be able to work it out so that doesn't happen. Do this many people take 3-month long vacations?

Old 06-19-2007, 04:44 PM

1,611 posts, read 4,849,950 times
The problem comes in if you have a beach house or a child care issue
Often it is just wanting what you have always had

Old 06-19-2007, 04:45 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,673,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starla View Post
I don't understand why year-round schools is such a big deal to people. Can someone explain to me why you're so against it? The only possible downside I see is if your kids get put on different tracks, but the school system should be able to work it out so that doesn't happen. Do this many people take 3-month long vacations?
Most of us aren't. However, the squeaky wheel gets the most media attention.

Old 06-19-2007, 05:12 PM

15 posts, read 17,907 times
More people opted out of year round than the school board is leading you to believe. Before the lawsuit verdict came down, the school board granted transfers to people who requested a transfer out of the converted year round school. Add that number to the number that they said opted out from the letters sent out after the verdict and you get a much higher percentage.

My take is that the school board will do anything do get what it wants no matter what in any situation not just year round. They also do a good job misrepresenting things to their advantage.

That is why we are leaving the WCPSS. Every night it is something different on the news or in the paper in the morning or some different group suing the school system. We have just had it. Too frustrating. As a parent, I feel I shouldn't have to worry each day about what is happening with the schools.

Old 06-19-2007, 08:39 PM

Regarding YR schools. In Wake Co, the High Schools are all traditional calendar. At some point, you will have one child in HS and the others in middle/elementary. That's a recipe for a mess, IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary