Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 06:13 PM

98 posts, read 301,720 times

Advertisements

Just wish that people who water the lawn would do it right(Morning is best) and avoid excess run-off and remember the concrete does not need water
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2010, 06:55 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,933,782 times
Many town water use restrictions already address this. In Orange County, for example, the OWASA rules state:
Quote:
Irrigation flow onto adjacent property or public right-of-way, or streets and impervious surfaces is considered water waste and is prohibited.

Old 06-29-2010, 08:43 AM

9,144 posts, read 14,759,495 times
Then again, Cary does not allow you to install sprinkler heads in the strip between the sidewalk and the street. Not sure how to avoid having a dead strip in the front of the lawn without getting some on the sidewalk? Luckily, the way the gound is sloped on my yard, any water that does get on the sidewalk runs right into the grass area anyway.

Old 06-29-2010, 06:57 PM

492 posts, read 1,151,979 times
I hate seeing sprinklers waste water on lawns. Fescue goes dormant in the summer. It gets brown and a little crispy. Just let it be, when the temps cool down it comes back green. I know this for a fact, it happens every year with my lawn. We never water our lawn, what a waste of water. You are fighting a losing battle to try and keep a lawn green during the hot summers here. When you water your lawn, you encourage the root system to stay shallow and this will kill your lawn. Not watering forces the roots deeper, the blade above ground goes dormant but not the root.

Old 06-30-2010, 04:46 AM

43 posts, read 123,144 times
There are definitely times when lawns need watering. We completely reseeded ours in the fall and it's still not completely established. We water it as sparingly as possible, but we don't want our work to go to waste. That happened the last time we seeded it--we thought the lawn was well established and decided to quit watering by summer. Weeds completely overtook the lawn and we had to start over again.

Old 06-30-2010, 06:00 AM

18,051 posts, read 15,649,855 times
I am amazed when I see people watering their lawns in the middle of the day when the heat and sun are at their worst. All that water just evaporates.

Best time is after the sun goes down, anytime during the night, or early morning before 7am. D'OH!

Old 06-30-2010, 06:33 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,933,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
I am amazed when I see people watering their lawns in the middle of the day when the heat and sun are at their worst. All that water just evaporates. Best time is after the sun goes down, anytime during the night, or early morning before 7am. D'OH!
Actually the turf experts recommend against evening or nighttime watering. Grass and plants stay wet for longer without the sun to dry them, creating the potential for more fungal growth. Most recommend watering early morning before sunrise.

Old 06-30-2010, 07:12 AM

492 posts, read 1,151,979 times
We reseed in Sept every year, we only water while the seeds are germinating. Once they pop up green, we stop watering. Thats all it takes. They have all fall/winter to establish. If you continue to water frequently your grass will have very shallow root systems which then will cause it to die when you finally ease up on water. If you put out the proper fertilization and weed control, weeds will not overtake a dormant lawn in the summer.

Old 06-30-2010, 09:00 AM

2,835 posts, read 7,341,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bekindtoanimals View Post
Just wish that people who water the lawn would do it right(Morning is best) and avoid excess run-off and remember the concrete does not need water

I agree but there are a few 'cracks' in the logic. When I lived in a home that had a sidewalk it was necessary to hose it off occasionally to clear the dirt and dust from it. So in this instance a concrete sidewalk did need to be watered.

Also, when cutting a concrete sidewalk water is usually required to cool the carbide tipped saw blade. So once again watering a sidewalk is OK to do.

But watering it to grow more concrete is like pulling all the leaves off a tree and expecting it to grow faster.

All kidding and wet concrete walkways aside I am for not wasting water!

Old 06-30-2010, 10:12 AM

268 posts, read 743,903 times
Well then you must not be into birds, cause I can tell you they LOVE little puddles on the sidewalk.
And I am half-serious about that. But it's all in the kind of grass you use, too. I have a St. Augustine
lawn here in Memphis, alot like EVERYONE in Louisiana has, and it takes the heat and dry, man and it is GREEN.
90% of the lawns in Memphis are brown and nasty with patches of dirt, and my shizzle is green
and lush. No watering this year yet. Benefit of St. Augustine is the runners which start as plugs
and can cover a lawn in a season.
Wasting water is always bad nop matter how you go about it.

Last edited by BradfromNO; 06-30-2010 at 10:23 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary