Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 08:08 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,942,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz-Bri View Post
In the towns mentioned, Hillsborough, Carrboro, Pittsboro, etc. how would you describe the racial tension? For instance, is there the age old white part of town versus the black or brown part of town? Is this type of tension evident to the casual observer? How about the public schools in these towns?
Keep in mind that in North Carolina - with one exception - schools are county based. Towns here don't have their own school systems. So for Hillsborough you're looking at Orange County. For Pittsboro it's Chatham county. Carrboro is part of that one exception - the Chapel Hill Carrboro City Schools System.

With county-wide school systems, it's difficult to give more than a very general statement about the schools - which can vary from place to place within a county.

I suggest searching and reading through releveant threads in this forum to get a basic understanding of the schools here, and then come back with specific questions that you have after that, to help you narrow your inquiries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2010, 08:16 AM

2,270 posts, read 9,149,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz-Bri View Post
Thanks, Ausmerika.

Anyone else have an opinion on this.....

In the towns mentioned, Hillsborough, Carrboro, Pittsboro, etc. how would you describe the racial tension? For instance, is there the age old white part of town versus the black or brown part of town? Is this type of tension evident to the casual observer?

How about the public schools in these towns?
Of course there is an "age old black part of town." Families own property, the property passes from generation to generation, and unless the owners have sold out there will always be a historically black part of town. To say there isn't such a place would be to deny the history of the area.

If your question is: do people of color live exclusively in the historically black part of town, then the answer is no. I don't think there is casually noticeable racial tension in any part of the Triangle.

Old 07-12-2010, 11:33 AM

2,445 posts, read 7,454,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
Keep in mind that in North Carolina - with one exception - schools are county based. Towns here don't have their own school systems. So for Hillsborough you're looking at Orange County. For Pittsboro it's Chatham county. Carrboro is part of that one exception - the Chapel Hill Carrboro City Schools System.

With county-wide school systems, it's difficult to give more than a very general statement about the schools - which can vary from place to place within a county.

I suggest searching and reading through releveant threads in this forum to get a basic understanding of the schools here, and then come back with specific questions that you have after that, to help you narrow your inquiries.
The Chapel Hill Carrboro City Schools System isn't the only one. There are 15 city districts in NC. However they are a drop in the bucket compared to the 100 county based systems.

Old 07-12-2010, 12:12 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,942,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCgirl View Post
The Chapel Hill Carrboro City Schools System isn't the only one. There are 15 city districts in NC. However they are a drop in the bucket compared to the 100 county based systems.
Thanks for the clarification. I was attempting to refer to the local area but obviously didn't phrase it well.

Old 07-12-2010, 03:20 PM

29 posts, read 116,191 times
Default Chapel Hill vs. Pinehurst

Can anyone share their thoughts about Chapel Hill and Pinehurst. My husband and I are looking for a possible relocation town. We live in Stamford, CT, and are children are finishing college. I hope to find a H.S. math teaching spot.

I would just love someone to comment on the friendliness of people in both places and which would have more events going on.

Thanks

Old 07-12-2010, 03:57 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,829,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdimauro View Post
Can anyone share their thoughts about Chapel Hill and Pinehurst. My husband and I are looking for a possible relocation town. We live in Stamford, CT, and are children are finishing college. I hope to find a H.S. math teaching spot.

I would just love someone to comment on the friendliness of people in both places and which would have more events going on.

Thanks
Pinehurst (and the whole "Sandhills" area of the towns around it--Aberdeen, Southern Pines, etc...you don't live there without spending time in all of them shopping etc) is a big GOLFING area, first and foremost. Lots of retirees but the golf course rules. Also lots of lakes and boating stuff. My parents retired there 20 years ago so I've spent a lot of time there.

Chapel Hill is a quintessential college town--a VERY different environment. Chapel Hillians have a reputation for being snobbier than most other areas (and having run a retail store in CH as well as other places, I definitely say the customers were the most "hard to please" there). Chapel Hill is part of the urban Triangle area so more "stuff going on" that you'd find in cities; folks in Pinehurst usually come to Raleigh or go to Fayetteville for big shopping trips, as what's down there is more expensive boutiques + big box stores (no malls per se). Pinehurst is an "older" demographic and Chapel Hill a "younger" one, both compared to each other and to the population overall.

But the enviroments are very, very different. It is hard to compare the two. Have you ever visited either? You'd want to do that before deciding anything, of course. They're close enough that you could see both in a weekend. Any particular reason you have your eyes on these two in particular? There are lots of other cool places in the area, but it reallty depends on what you're looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary