Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2006, 03:30 PM

117 posts, read 386,255 times

Advertisements

Hello this is my first post but I've found some really good information on this website. I am finally posting because I'm looking for some honest answers. From what I can tell on this board it seems like a lot of people are downing Southeast Raleigh and I want to know why. My fiancee is African American and and his realtor friend said that we should get in before the prices rise. Being a Caucasion female I want to know should I be in fear of my life in this part of Raleigh? We are on a tight budget and we have seen some nice big homes for a really great price but after reading on here I'm kind of skeptical. I don't want to assume anything but are people saying that Southeast Raleigh is bad because it's mostly African American's living there? I just want to know if there are some serious issues going on there if it's just a race thing? Someone please help!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2006, 10:04 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,601,134 times
Well, it is true that Southeast Raleigh is a majority-black area of the city; but that's not why it's looked down upon. There really is a lot more crime there than the rest of raleigh. And it's the only area with real gang issues. I lived in what may be considered Southeast Raleigh (Tryon Pines subdvision of Tryon road just past Lake Wheeler). And while it was a nice subdivision with nice homes; it was surrounded by not quite as nice neighborhoods.

Old 09-23-2006, 10:50 PM

119 posts, read 865,739 times
When I was looking for a house, I was advised to avoid that area also. I am sure that it is similar to the problems in South Providence, RI or any bad part of town in any city in the nation.

Back in 1986 suburban RI, there was one black student and four Chinese in my high school. I really never thought that the north was segregated until arriving in NC.

I live in a what I consider a good section, northeast off of 401, just south of Wake Forest, and half my neighbors are black. Today at Chuck E. Cheese, it seemed that my family was only one of the few white families there.

I am not racist, but it is definately culture shock after living up North and briefly in CA. But honestly, I do feel safer here in NC.

Check out Beazer Homes. I think they are value priced, quality homes.

Old 09-23-2006, 10:53 PM

117 posts, read 386,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'minformed View Post
Well, it is true that Southeast Raleigh is a majority-black area of the city; but that's not why it's looked down upon. There really is a lot more crime there than the rest of raleigh. And it's the only area with real gang issues. I lived in what may be considered Southeast Raleigh (Tryon Pines subdvision of Tryon road just past Lake Wheeler). And while it was a nice subdivision with nice homes; it was surrounded by not quite as nice neighborhoods.
I think there is gang activity everywhere these days. It just might be more visible in some areas. I also think everywhere you go there is going to be something. In the "better" schools there are kids trying to re-enact Columbine and then in other schools you deal with kids walking around trying to represent their gangs and "hood" and so on and on. It's just really depressing sometimes to see how this world is. When I was in high school I never heard of gang activity. The high school I graduated from in 1997 is now one of the worst schools in NC. That's pretty bad because it was nothing like that when I was there. I think we just have to keep our eyes open and make sure you are comfortable in your surroundings and just always be on the look out. Never let your guard down no matter what part of town you are in.
That's just my two cents!

Old 09-23-2006, 11:12 PM

119 posts, read 865,739 times
Bad behavior is everywhere. Just last night on the news, they said there is an epidemic of "freak dancing" (grinding) in New Hampshire high schools. New Hampshire, of all places.

What ever happened to morals, conscience, and just an ounce of humanity. I don't like everyone, but I wouldn't trample over people just to get mine in this dog-eat-dog world. Yet some eighty to ninety percent of Americans profess to believe in God. Bad television, movies, video games?

Old 09-24-2006, 05:34 AM

1,540 posts, read 5,566,506 times
Bad things happen even in Richer upscale areas. Sometimes it's the wealthy children that never got that one on one attention from their wealthy parents, who were just too busy for them and farmed them out to nannies and things. They are starving for attention and get into trouble for it. So yes you need to be on your guard whereever.

Old 09-24-2006, 10:14 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,266,646 times
On a positive note...there was an area of Raleigh, across Capital Blvd. that also had high crime but as North Raleigh moves into that area, more and more new neighborhoods pop up and more and more people move into the area. The crime stats go down and the school scores go up. Hopefully, this will happen in Southeast Raleigh, as well. Vicki

Old 09-24-2006, 11:14 AM

1,531 posts, read 7,411,953 times
Exclamation Southeast, East and South Raleigh: bad rep!

I think the big problem is everyone lumps everything east or south of downtown as one neighborhood! Yes there are bad areas, but I think truly they are only a small part of East, Southeast, and South Raleigh!

There are many many really nice neighborhoods there. Last year, the Independent Weekly (a Triangle-area arts & news mag) named the Longview neighborhood, in east Raleigh, as one of "Raleigh's Best Kept Secrets". So really...could it be all that bad??

So I say...give it a try...look for YOURSELF each neighborhood in that part of the city to see what you think. Ask the neighbors, even....they can give you much better info than rumours on a website can.
But your friend is right...buy now while the prices are still more affordable than the overpriced areas of North Raleigh or Cary.

For what it's worth...this isn't just an issue with Southeast Raleigh....Durham as a whole gets a bad reputation too. "Oh dear! Lot's of minorities and crime! Eeek!". It's nuts....overgeneralizing does nothing but create more problems.

Good luck in your house search!

Old 09-24-2006, 05:03 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,266,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighRob View Post
I think the big problem is everyone lumps everything east or south of downtown as one neighborhood! Yes there are bad areas, but I think truly they are only a small part of East, Southeast, and South Raleigh!

There are many many really nice neighborhoods there. Last year, the Independent Weekly (a Triangle-area arts & news mag) named the Longview neighborhood, in east Raleigh, as one of "Raleigh's Best Kept Secrets". So really...could it be all that bad??

So I say...give it a try...look for YOURSELF each neighborhood in that part of the city to see what you think. Ask the neighbors, even....they can give you much better info than rumours on a website can.
But your friend is right...buy now while the prices are still more affordable than the overpriced areas of North Raleigh or Cary.

For what it's worth...this isn't just an issue with Southeast Raleigh....Durham as a whole gets a bad reputation too. "Oh dear! Lot's of minorities and crime! Eeek!". It's nuts....overgeneralizing does nothing but create more problems.

Good luck in your house search!
I agree with you, Rob. And thats why I take my clients to all areas of town to show them what their money can buy. If you tell me that you have $250,000 to spend but you have no idea of WHERE you want to be, I'll show you what you can buy for that price in each and every section of town. Most people will search in the area closest to where they will be working but some prefer to be in an area where the schools have higher scores. I really believe that its best to be honest with people and answer their questions honestly but until they see an area and they see the homes, its their decisions to make. Vicki

Old 09-24-2006, 05:58 PM

9 posts, read 46,113 times
Default Southeast Raleigh

It's spotty. Most areas with great people, but some with some of the meanest jerks in the world. I have a friend that teaches high school there, and she is either quitting or getting a new position some place else. She says it can be very bad. All you need is bad luck by coming across one of these people one time, and then you may have a big problem. Law of averages will put you in contact with some of these people more frequently in Southeast Raleigh than in other areas.

The trouble from one neighborhood can easily spill over to the next.

I grew up around here, and I wouldn't live there even if someone gave me a house.

The Raleigh Police Department keeps excellent records of crime statistics. Before you make any decision, check them out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary