Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2010, 12:33 PM

2 posts, read 4,307 times

Advertisements

I need something new. I grew up in Wisconsin and after college moved to the Twin Cities in Minnesota. I am looking for a change and ready to get rid of winters filled with feet of snow so I'm thinking about moving to the Raleigh area. I'm in my early 20s and I'm NOT into the club/party scene at all. I am by no means a city girl and would like to end up somewhere in the suburbs. I'm looking for a job in accounting and would love to avoid traffic as much as possible. I will be going to Raleigh sometime soon to visit and get a feel for it but I would like some input on the area, weather, employment, really anything that could be helpful. Thanks for you time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2010, 12:40 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,836,713 times
All of these topics are discussed many, many many times within the forum; it's really best if you search older topics and then ask a more specific question that hasn't already been answered. There is no way to answer "anything and everything" in one post...imagine if someone wanted to know "any help you can give" about where you're living now.

Not being rude, but if you'll just scroll down and read threads going back through the first 3 pages or so, you'll learn a lot of general stuff about the area, and then you can refine your question with more specifics pertinent to your own situation. Really, these questions are answered over and over again below. The Search function is also very helpful for specifics on terms such as "accounting", for example.

Old 07-28-2010, 01:24 PM

2 posts, read 4,307 times
Thanks for your reply and I'm trying to think of more specific questions to ask. The searching for accounting was a helpful tip. I have read through a lot of the related posts and wanted to post my own to try and get answers more related to my situation.

So some info to add to this would then be......I'm looking for a modern, upscale 2 bedroom apartment with a large master bedroom (large to me is 12X15ish), nice kitchen, a nice sized porch, and decent parking. I would like to keep the price around $1200. The only area requirement for this would just be not in the city.

I'm also wondering if there are any Christian clubs/coffee shops around. Something similar to Club 3 Degrees in Minneapolis. 3 Degrees Ministries | Minneapolis, MN

And I'll keep trying to think of more specific questions to ask and I'll look into other posts out there a little more.

Old 07-28-2010, 02:46 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,181,211 times
Your budget is more than fine for a 2 bedroom upscale suburban apartment. I cannot give you any information about Christian groups.

Old 07-28-2010, 03:08 PM

22 posts, read 59,281 times
1. Google
2. Search this forum
3. Read the posts about having a job prior to moving

Good luck!

Good luck

Old 07-28-2010, 03:20 PM

1,877 posts, read 5,345,391 times
While looking at barista jobs the other day on Craigslist, I saw a Christian cafe in Raleigh listed.
Hope Cafe - Raleigh

Old 07-30-2010, 06:54 AM

69 posts, read 163,825 times
Raleigh is a great place to live and work, with great health care/hospitals, schools, universities, restaurants, shopping, and plenty to do. As for the weather, it's moderate most of the year, but the summers are HOT! However, I have a friend who moved here from Flint, MI, and she much prefers the hot summers to the weather she left behind.

Try Abberly Place in Garner, NC, just southeast of Raleigh. It's a great apartment community located at the White Oak shopping center. There's a movie theatre, Target, plus lots of other stores and restaurants. Garner is a nice bedroom community to both Raleigh and Cary. I think Abberly would fit both your size and budget needs, depending upon the floorplan you choose. Abberly Place Apartments - Apartments in Garner, NC

Unfortunately, unless you find a job with flexible hours (go in early and leave early or vice versa), traffic will be an issue no matter where you live.

Employment is suffering here just like everywhere else, but I believe it's more stable than many other areas of the US, likely because there's an emphasis on health care and technology.

Good luck!

Old 07-30-2010, 06:57 AM

69 posts, read 163,825 times
Oh, and Raleigh has the advantage of being within a couple of hours of the beach. And if you like mountains, you can travel to Western North Carolina in about 4.5 or 5 hours. The weather is much more mild at the higher elevation and there's so much to see and do. (Honestly, we would still live there if the employment options were better and the cost-of-living weren't so ridiculously high.)

Old 07-30-2010, 07:00 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,101,747 times
You asked about the weather. It's wicked hot. Uncomfortably hot. Sauna hot. "Close the door, you're letting the heat inside" hot. Air conditioning on 24/7 hot. Feels-worse-than-Arizona-because-it's-so-humid hot.

This has been one of the hottest summers ever, but even in a normal year, it's still just as uncomfortable and nasty hot.

Lovely Northern summers will be but a memory.

The tradeoff is our mild winters.

Old 07-30-2010, 09:30 AM

375 posts, read 1,144,093 times
You asked about accounting - I can help a little bit with that.

Things are tighter than they used to be, but there are jobs for all levels. We also have a large number of staffing/temp agencies. In 2009 I had to work as a temp for a full year until I got a permanent job. The temp pay wasn't great, but it was enough to live on. Most people hate working for Rober Half/Accountemps, but they kept me working with only a 2 week break between all of my assignments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary