Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2010, 02:17 PM

17 posts, read 26,461 times

Advertisements

Only Garner from what the HS Town Attny said is the town that imposes a $25 fine on anyone who aids the children in playing in the street.

Old 08-02-2010, 02:19 PM

113 posts, read 727,937 times
Did he specifically say it was the only one or was that the only reference to a town he made. Big difference there. I'd be curious to hear about other Triangle towns.

Old 08-02-2010, 02:24 PM

1,039 posts, read 2,656,862 times
I don't know what kind of street the complainer lives on. I do know that there are MANY side roads, dead ends, cul-de-sacs and roads that get next to no traffic. Why punish an ENTIRE town to appease a handful of complainers?

I don't get it.

I hope that everyone else joins me at the meeting tomorrow.

Old 08-02-2010, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbum98 View Post
So why is everyone getting so huffy puffy about it happening in Holly Springs if it's already in these other area towns? There's obviously some merit to it then.
Probably because we don't live in those "other areas".

Perhaps those "other areas" have more traffic, or have adequate park facilities.

If this ordinance passes, now in order for my son to have a game with friends he has to walk or bike down a major road (avent ferry) that has no sidewalk to get to the park. Unless, of course, the city decides to spend mega bucks on putting in a sidewalk along Avent Ferry. But then again, you're punishing the whole town (financially) because of one complainer.

Yet I live on a street that gets a miniscule amount of traffic.

You tell me what is safer.

We don't need a nanny town.

Old 08-02-2010, 02:38 PM

As a side note, the speed limit in most communities is 20 MPH.

Perhaps if the police were out on patrol, they would take care of the speeding problem. I was at McDonald's the other day for breakfast and there were 3 HS police cruisers in there having breakfast.

This is at a time when kids are at the bus stop in the morning. Yet the police chief is "concerned" about kids being kids. Am I missing the punchline somewhere?

Old 08-02-2010, 02:51 PM

767 posts, read 1,849,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris1963 View Post
Dear Whostosay: I don't care about noise, I like kids, genuinely, I have kids, when they were younger I had the Kool Aid house with kids all over the place, kids aren't the problem now I have older kids around, dogs, people, I don't care about the noise. If I didn't care about kids would their safety be a concern of mine. You are fortunate that you have neighbors that are responsive to "hey could you please tell the kids not to throw things at the car, etc." After speaking with many people in many neighorhoods yours is the exception not the rule. I've gotten answers like "oh my kids would never do that" or they just don't care. I see these kids playing hide and seek under the cars, under the cars and if you mention that in a nice way to parents they look at you like you've got two heads. Let me just say this there must be a great deal of people with issues like hockey, soccer - whatever because the two council members were quick to offer those up after I spoke about the basketball hoops.
I disagree...I live in the largest subdivision in town & we don't have a problem with this that I know of....so your subdivision is the exception not the rule. Our HOA does not allow cars, boats, etc to be parked on the streets regularly. You have an HOA issue, not a "take everyone else's rights away" issue.

Old 08-02-2010, 03:23 PM

2,010 posts, read 3,589,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twoisbetter View Post
I disagree...I live in the largest subdivision in town & we don't have a problem with this that I know of....so your subdivision is the exception not the rule. Our HOA does not allow cars, boats, etc to be parked on the streets regularly. You have an HOA issue, not a "take everyone else's rights away" issue.

If your HOA owns the roads then they can allow playing in the cul de sacs.

Old 08-02-2010, 03:30 PM

Conversely, since the Town of Holly Springs' position is not to interfere with HOA/Resident disputes, why not let it be an HOA issue?

Why does the town feel the need to get involved?

Methinks that the complainer was told in a round about way to "go shove it" and is now crying to the town board. Hopefully they are just going through the motions and not taking this too seriously.

Old 08-02-2010, 03:39 PM

45 posts, read 95,987 times
Wow. People, when are we going to stop letting government intrude so much in our lives? This is getting out of control.

Someone should make an iphone app that you can reference during any given situation to make sure you aren't illegible for a citation! There are just too many to keep track of.

Old 08-02-2010, 03:44 PM

814 posts, read 2,008,928 times
I still ask, why can't kids play in their yards? In our area, kids play in their yards, and are taught to keep out of the street. Don't get the desire to put your kid in harms way. As I stated before, I guess I am not as concerned about culdesacs, but do HATE to come around a corner and find kids playing in front of me. So dangerous! I guess I am on the only one who thinks so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary