Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 03:36 PM

1,029 posts, read 1,925,170 times

Advertisements

I like ING Direct. They use to give $50 referral bonuses. Half to the new customer half to the existing customer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2010, 04:00 PM

1,112 posts, read 2,864,857 times
would you bank with Ally if you knew it was previously the bankrupt GMAC that got bailed out with Billion$$$$$ of taxpayers money The other thing that bothers me is the clever advertising as if it is squeaky clean when it has a closset full of prior history itself - not least that one of it's principle owners is Cerberus Capital Management and that 'Cerberus' in Greek mythology is the 3 headed dog with a hissing snake as a tail that guards the gates of hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachivalay View Post
Dump all local banks and go with USAA, Ally etc. internet banks. They credit ATM charges and also provide SASE for depositing checks. They also have better interest rates. Eevrytime I see a shiny new building of local bank and there 0.05% interest checking account, I realize where rest of the 1.95% interest is going!

Old 08-02-2010, 05:28 PM

842 posts, read 2,588,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerkick79 View Post
Relocating down there next yr (North R.) and want to know what banks are the most popular and available in that area and why you like them. Don't think there's a citizens bank there have to look it up but that's pretty popular where i am. thanks in advance!
In my opinion, anyone should be the same .. they are all crooks anyway and read from the same script

Old 08-03-2010, 04:25 PM

165 posts, read 434,475 times
Who, between Bank of America and Wachovia, charges the least for using an ATM that's not theirs?

Old 08-04-2010, 03:07 PM

35 posts, read 87,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by relo-NC View Post
Who, between Bank of America and Wachovia, charges the least for using an ATM that's not theirs?
Just curious - with all the other alternatives, why are you limiting yourself to the "lessor of two evils"? Years ago, I was with Wachovia and left due to their lack of customer service. I went to SouthTrust, who ended up being bought by Wachovia. I left again for a credit union and am very satisfied. They are paying 1.50% for a money market account vs 0.05% for Wachovia's Crown Account.

Old 08-04-2010, 03:14 PM

3,050 posts, read 4,993,784 times
I like Bank of America, tons of branches everywhere, I have had good experience with customer service, especially when my debit card was stolen and charges applied.

Old 08-04-2010, 04:41 PM

35 posts, read 87,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucyAussie View Post
I like Bank of America, tons of branches everywhere, I have had good experience with customer service, especially when my debit card was stolen and charges applied.
Just don't try to cash your Craigslist's checks there.

Clark Howard Show Notes: Sep 21, 2006 on clarkhoward.com

Clark wraps up BOA challenge <a name=wrapup>on</a> high note on clarkhoward.com

Old 08-04-2010, 07:43 PM

492 posts, read 1,152,266 times
I personally won't give my business to any bank or auto manufacturer that took bail-out money. Just my opinion. BB&T and First Citizens have not accepted any bail out funds.

Old 08-04-2010, 07:52 PM

3,050 posts, read 4,993,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosmo_king View Post
People still use checks?

Old 08-04-2010, 08:01 PM

133 posts, read 424,980 times
I would go with a credit union. Many you can join for a small fee or if you have one where you are from keep it. By far, they also the best rates on car or house loans. We moved here a year ago from Philadelphia and kept our credit union and decided not to go with a local bank. It's not a problem with ATMs, since all over the state you can go to the State union credit union (SECU)and cash points for free (check with your bank to make sure). These atms offer no fees and anyone can use them. you can go on their website and enter your zipcode and it will tell you the closest one near you. Also, our bank in philly has a page where it lists free atms all over the USA. So worth checking into. I would definately stay clear of any banks that took any bailout money. We mail in our checks for deposits and it's super easy.

If you go with a local bank, i would wait until you get down here, drive around and see what banks are near where you live or work. BB&T is pretty big, Suntrust i don't see much in Raleigh (besides one on falls of neuse in n.raleigh)A lot in Durham.

If you want a high interest acct i would go with ally bank. You can check the back of Money magazine and they list the top interest earning banks for that month. You can do this- possibly online but also at the library. We have awesome libraries down here!

Last edited by born2fly; 08-04-2010 at 08:02 PM.. Reason: grammar misspelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary