Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2010, 08:05 PM

2 posts, read 4,408 times

Advertisements

I have a new neighbor with a dog who is kept in a kennel in a field next to my property. The dog makes a lot of noise morning, noon, and night. There is also a pungent wet-dog smell permeating the back part of my yard closest to the kennel. My vegetable garden spans this area and borders on the field where the dog is--so I have the unpleasant odor when I'm out gardening.
Unfortunately I have recently spotted the neighbor walk the dog out of the kennel on a leash, out of his way over to my garden to let the dog pee on my raspberry bushes (trespassing as well). He also lets the dog pee in my front flower garden while he's out jogging. I tried to go talk to him when he was stopped out front, but he immediately just ran away when he saw me coming.
Any suggestions on how to handle this? I'm completely disgusted that he's actually leading his dog out of his way to pee on my garden where I grow food. There are plenty of trees and woodland areas he could stop instead. Thanks.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2010, 08:17 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,877,596 times
I feel so bad for you! I know exactly what you mean. I've got a neighbor who let's her dog do this on my flowers, it's killed 75% of them! And I had a neighbor who was dog watching and the dog was in the back yard barking all night for 2-3wks.

If you feel that he won't be receptive to you visiting his house for a chat. Then you could leave him a note. Explaining nicely as you've done here. If he still continues, do you have an HOA you can complain to? If not, then I guess it comes down to either the City or County.

You might want to look up your jurisdiction to see what the laws are about nuisance pets regarding barking and waste. There is also a law in many areas here prohibiting someone from tying up a dog for more than an hr or so...is this part of the problem too?

Many people don't realize but it is very unhealthy to have pet waste where you can access it by touching or getting it on your clothes. My vet shared some info with me that really creeped me out about how long worms, parasites, etc can live in your yard after a dog has done their thing there...even if the waste is immediately removed. Kids can get traces of it on them, or their toys, and end up with worms or parasites...uck.

Old 08-03-2010, 08:24 PM

345 posts, read 1,061,016 times
Try taking a camera out to document it next time. It might be enough to dissuade he/she from doing it any more. If not, you've got some evidence.

Old 08-03-2010, 08:51 PM

1,039 posts, read 2,656,201 times
The camera is a good idea. Or how about even if you bought some cheap fencing that you could stake around your garden?

Otherwise, put the sprinkler over where the man walks his dog to do the dog business on your property and let 'er rip when they get over near it.

Old 08-03-2010, 09:02 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,877,596 times
You could put one of those motion detector type outdoor figurines they sell at Christmastime in your plants. When the dog goes near, it starts to laugh, or hehaw whatever they do

Seriously, so many people are oblivious to the fact that they are doing something wrong. You might be able to resolve it by leaving a note on his door.

Old 08-03-2010, 09:16 PM

2,270 posts, read 9,153,836 times
You might be able to use one of these natural repellents on your property: Homemade Dog Repellent

Is the unpleasant odor because the kennel isn't cleaned? If the dog isn't cared for you could discuss that with your local animal control.

Old 08-04-2010, 04:41 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,942,286 times
That's too bad. If he avoided you in the yard you should walk up to his door and explain the situation. You always begin those kind of complaints face to face....speaking from experience

I used to get irritated when dogs peed on the plantings around our mailbox. I replaced them with a Yucca plant and that was the end of that

Old 08-04-2010, 06:02 AM

447 posts, read 1,620,879 times
I had a problem in a former home where people walking their dogs would always let them pee and poop directly in my mailbox garden. I took sticks and branches and set them in the garden at an angle poking out. My brother called it my punji stick garden. It stopped people from letting their dogs pee and poop on it. You could try that for a while and see it he gets the hint. If he gets offended, you can always play it off as a defense against raccoons (although it wouldn't do squat against raccoons or rabbits). It's just to keep dogs away!

Old 08-04-2010, 09:41 AM

18,150 posts, read 15,725,963 times
You could put up a little yard sign in front (I believe I've seen them). A little fence around or in front may help too, even if it's just a decorative one that is 24" tall.

If your neighbor avoids you then you can put a letter in his mailbox requesting that he refrain from allowing his dog to pee/poop in your gardens or in your yard.

Then, if you have a HOA you can lodge a complaint with them too.

Old 08-04-2010, 09:52 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,422,020 times
Funny how few people will approach your property if you sit out in a lawn chair with a shotgun across your lap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary