Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2010, 03:28 PM

58 posts, read 202,075 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I'm going to be driving a large moving truck pulling a car... what's the best way to go west out of NC (like Kansas, west)? Google shows going up I-77 through Charleston, WV & I-64 west from there is shortest in time, but do the BR mountains have a lot of up & down that will take a toll on the truck? Or are they not that big? Is it any more smooth going on I-40 through Ashveille & then north?

I flew when we moved here, so I've never driven past Boone to the west of NC & don't know what the terrain is like?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2010, 05:10 AM

231 posts, read 495,006 times
When I drive from IL to NC, I use I-64 thru Charleston, WV. which is the fastest by 30 minutes over the Southern route of I-40. The Northern route might have a few more mountains to drive thru, but if you take it easy, it should not be a problem. Not driving thru Knoxville & Nashville would (in my opinion) makeup for the mountain time. Besides if you have never driven in the mountains, you should at least once. I-64 thru Charleston, WV goes due West to St. Louis, then get on I-70 West to Kansas. Hope this helps.

Old 08-07-2010, 08:04 AM

632 posts, read 1,843,696 times
When we moved from IL to NC last year, we brought down a load for hubby's apartment (while we were selling the IL house) using a pickup and a large U-haul trailer. We took the route through Charleston, too. No problems pulling the trailer.

Old 08-07-2010, 01:10 PM

1,246 posts, read 4,187,022 times
I-77 would probably be your best bet. I've made the trip from here to IL a few times and it is quicker than I40. There are 3 tolls to account for and they are $2 each for a car. Don't know how much it would be for a truck. The mountains are not steep (by I50 and I80 in CA standards) and should be a fairly easy drive.

Old 08-09-2010, 07:59 AM

148 posts, read 559,535 times
I routinely haul through both routes, and would suggest up and over on the northern route is a little less tricky than Black Mountain to Newport on I-40, if you're only considering the mountains.

Old 08-09-2010, 04:48 PM

1,463 posts, read 6,219,968 times
you can't win....I drove 77 in a car and had white knuckles from all the steep hills and curves...just drive slow and you should be fine....

Old 08-09-2010, 07:30 PM

69 posts, read 163,667 times
Default Mountains either way

My husband drove large UHauls to and from Asheville on I40 and it was S-L-O-W...but 77 is mountainous too, especially around Fancy Gap. Sorry, I think one is really as bad as the other. At least you won't be driving in the winter!

Old 08-10-2010, 07:02 AM

375 posts, read 1,143,209 times
When we drive to WI we take I-77 up through VA and I-64 through Charleston WV. I DON'T recommend driving through Louisville KY if you can help it. I don't remember highway names at that point... but we make an interchange (I wanna say from I-64 to I-65? 63? something like that - heading up towards Lexington then Indianapolis) that has you cross a number of lanes of traffic in a very short distance. This is difficult in our compact car, and my Dad has issues when he has any trailer attached.

Old 08-10-2010, 06:03 PM

21 posts, read 79,153 times
I have made the trip from Raleigh area to Chicago many times. I don't think there is a way to avoid mountain roads, but the interstates are pretty well designed to allow both cars and trucks to handle the ups and downs at the best pace for each vehicle. My only addition to the recommendations would be keep on the interstates as much as practical, and to try to hit Virginia and West Virginia in the daytime, both for the views and to avoid the occasional fog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary