Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 10:01 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,764,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar Magnolia View Post
I might not understand this enitre thing, please forgive me, but my first reaction when I heard about this was who is going to buy those houses and use that retail/office space? No one has any money, no one is lending any money and as far as I can tell no more companies are moving here or opening up new office spaces. There are tons of empty homes and office spaces all over the Triangle that can be used, so I'm just a little confused as to why this is necessary.

I think this was part of the original problem with the economy, they kept building even though we didn't need anything more to be built. But I'm not niave I know it all comes down to money and politics, I just think it is ignorant that is all.

The economy does stink right now, but this will not always be the case. Developers take years or maybe even a decade lining up land, getting zoning approvals and preparing plans for a project this size. Usually it all goes on behind the scenes, but this has brought the process into the light of day.

Once all that is done, then further planning, pitching various parts of the project to residential builders and people with commercial space needs, selection of contractors as well as the leasing up of the retail all happens prior to construction starting.

Even though once construction starts, it seems to happen fast, years of planning by a team of people had to happen to make that possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2010, 10:15 AM

38 posts, read 62,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jperryrocks View Post
I think people want to have it both ways. They want development, but as long as they have theirs and are happy - they want to keep other people out.

We all live in a freakin' house on developed land that was owned by somebody else a long time ago. And there was a tree that was cut down where your bedroom was. ...And where your fancy granite countertops are now as well.

The Raleigh area still has far more trees and space than a lot of big cities.

Go to a place like Atlanta where every square inch of property has been built up within a 75 mile radius.

The Cary, Raleigh, Apex, etc, triangle area has been managed pretty well and there's lots of trees and a pretty good quality of life for a lot of people.

Perfectly said!

Old 08-11-2010, 06:27 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,756,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jperryrocks View Post
I think people want to have it both ways. They want development, but as long as they have theirs and are happy - they want to keep other people out.
This is such a multifaceted story, I doubt the average citizen understands the half of it. It's easy to arm chair a hot political topic but it's difficult to understand all the intricacies.

Last edited by PDXmom; 08-11-2010 at 06:31 PM.. Reason: first response was a bit snarky. ;)

Old 08-11-2010, 07:36 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,824,312 times
Is there a website for this project?

Old 08-11-2010, 07:40 PM

1,112 posts, read 2,864,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JQ Public View Post
Is there a website for this project?
751 South

Old 08-11-2010, 09:31 PM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,727,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
So, I am assuming you live in a condo in Downtown Raleigh or Durham
I do. Your point?

Old 08-11-2010, 09:55 PM

451 posts, read 1,157,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post

In all honesty, I can see why you are confused. Your posts indicate you don't fully understand the situation. Feel free to DM me and Iwill explain it to you.
Quote:
Thanks for confirming that you have no idea what the issues are.
Quote:
It is clear to me that many people don't understand the real issues at play here. Oh well, such is life.

Rather than talk down to people and repeatedly say no one gets the issue, why not take the time to share your knowledge with the class

Old 08-11-2010, 10:16 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,824,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beermat View Post
Hah...that was easier than I thought. Of course it was the first thing that comes up when you google it. Thanks.

Old 08-12-2010, 04:51 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,284,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kids_Dentist View Post
Rather than talk down to people and repeatedly say no one gets the issue, why not take the time to share your knowledge with the class
I think PDX mom did an excellent job laying out the issues so I don't feel the need to repeat that effort.

Old 08-12-2010, 07:17 AM

3,155 posts, read 10,756,502 times
Quote:
I think PDX mom did an excellent job laying out the issues so I don't feel the need to repeat that effort.
Awww shucks, thanks.

If you go to the The Independent's Website and type in 751 South, there is oodles of information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary