Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 11:02 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,433,048 times

Advertisements

TWC wanted $50/month for their basic cable. I signed up for Dish network's 120 plus package which over 2 years averages out to $36.00/month including tax.

It will be around $44 including tax after the 2 years (I use 2 years because you have to sign a 2-year contract). You can get out of the 2 years if you move to an area where there is no signal. If you move and there is signal, you are still required to use their service (only fair).

After 2 years it goes month to month, no more contract.

There are a few channels we don't get that we had with TWC. Apparently the big one with my wife is Versus, as she wanted the hockey games. Also spike and f/x I believe. If we went with the 200 channel lineup it would average out to be around $51/month including tax (so $1 more than TWC) over 2 years ($59/month including tax after that) BUT you get a TON more channels, and HD looks awesome. No Versus, but there is the NHL Network.

We have had TWC for 2 years now and one thing we noticed was some channels were very fuzzy, and not very clear. Not sure why. We even had them come out and replace our cable line and that didn't fix it. With Dish everything is CRYSTAL clear and looks great.

In summary if you are interested in switching, look closely at the channel lineup. It may only be worth it if you go for the lower channel lineup of $25/month for 12 months then $40/month after that.

I want to switch to Clear internet but it literally stops one street over. TWC is charging me $31 for the 768k internet which Clear charges for their 4 mb internet. GD I hate TWC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2010, 11:53 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,153,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
TWC wanted $50/month for their basic cable. I signed up for Dish network's 120 plus package which over 2 years averages out to $36.00/month including tax.

It will be around $44 including tax after the 2 years (I use 2 years because you have to sign a 2-year contract). You can get out of the 2 years if you move to an area where there is no signal. If you move and there is signal, you are still required to use their service (only fair).

After 2 years it goes month to month, no more contract.

There are a few channels we don't get that we had with TWC. Apparently the big one with my wife is Versus, as she wanted the hockey games. Also spike and f/x I believe. If we went with the 200 channel lineup it would average out to be around $51/month including tax (so $1 more than TWC) over 2 years ($59/month including tax after that) BUT you get a TON more channels, and HD looks awesome. No Versus, but there is the NHL Network.

We have had TWC for 2 years now and one thing we noticed was some channels were very fuzzy, and not very clear. Not sure why. We even had them come out and replace our cable line and that didn't fix it. With Dish everything is CRYSTAL clear and looks great.

In summary if you are interested in switching, look closely at the channel lineup. It may only be worth it if you go for the lower channel lineup of $25/month for 12 months then $40/month after that.

I want to switch to Clear internet but it literally stops one street over. TWC is charging me $31 for the 768k internet which Clear charges for their 4 mb internet. GD I hate TWC.
Good luck.

My son just had a horror story installation by a contract Dish installer.

Our TWC Roadrunner and analog cable are on fiber optic and are reliable. No outages in storms unless utility power fails.

I wish you luck in getting out if you move where there is no signal. Did you find this in your written contract? The Dish reps are known to tell half truths since many are not company employees.

Old 08-10-2010, 12:20 PM

1,361 posts, read 2,271,468 times
We had Dish before we moved here to NC and it only cost $30 to get out of the contract. I'd had it 11 months at the time. We tried TWC here but the price was too high, our internet was glitchy and even with only one box it was over $150 (for all 3 services). Dish wouldn't let me get the better rates so we went with DirectTV and since it was within the 60 days TWC isn't supposed to charge a fee. It's $100 to cancel after the 60 days with TWC then it decreases monthly.

Old 08-10-2010, 12:44 PM

375 posts, read 1,143,209 times
We left TWC for Direct -and get it installed today!!! We went with Direct over Dish because.... there was already a Direct satellite in the yard. Plus our friends set us up with a referral - and the referral for Direct ($100) is better than the referral for Dish ($50).

We're excited to have a WORKING dvr! Or - at least it better work. =0)

Old 08-10-2010, 01:09 PM

754 posts, read 1,692,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
Our TWC Roadrunner and analog cable are on fiber optic
Oh good grief. Make it stop. Please.

Old 08-10-2010, 01:59 PM

1,877 posts, read 5,341,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Picaflora View Post
We left TWC for Direct -and get it installed today!!! We went with Direct over Dish because.... there was already a Direct satellite in the yard. Plus our friends set us up with a referral - and the referral for Direct ($100) is better than the referral for Dish ($50).

We're excited to have a WORKING dvr! Or - at least it better work. =0)
Enjoy!

We've had ours for over a year and love it! We had so many problems with TWC. With Direct we had a couple outings during a couple storms late last summer for only about a minute and the same during the last couple bad storms. And I mean the storms have to be pretty severe. So 4-5 brief outings in over a year isn't bad at all. When we had TWC it seemed like we had problems weekly! Customer service is way better too, but we never have to call them

Old 08-10-2010, 03:38 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,433,048 times
Quote:
Good luck.

Mine was awesome! In fact my TWC guy was, according to my wife, a huge Moderator cut: language.

Quote:
Our TWC Roadrunner and analog cable are on fiber optic and are reliable. No outages in storms unless utility power fails.
Yeah, but our power goes out at least 2-3 times a month so it doesn't matter how reliable the cable buried under the ground is.

Quote:
I wish you luck in getting out if you move where there is no signal. Did you find this in your written contract? The Dish reps are known to tell half truths since many are not company employees.
When I threatened to cancel TWC, the rep tried to "scare" me into thinking Dish continuously raises rates. Without saying actual numbers they inferred you would be on the hook for rate increase after rate increase.

When I called Dish to ask about price increases, there was in fact a rate increase this past July, it was around $2 IIRC, and it was the first one in 3 years.

Both sides play the game. I found much more satisfied customers via satellite than I have with cable though. More channels, less expensive, higher quality picture...I mean really it's a no brainer.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 08-10-2010 at 09:49 PM.. Reason: Please use appropriate language

Old 08-10-2010, 09:35 PM

2,459 posts, read 8,075,006 times
We lost our TWC service in a thunderstorm last Wed night. How ironic since TW used to portray sat TV as having that problem.
The strike took a few of our neighbors too - it happens.

The chat session I had with the TW rep was a joke. The person I called the next day at least seemed competent enough to create a ticket for Saturday - three days later. I guessed the outside splitter was gone and I replaced it myself in the interin and part of the service came back.
Saturday afternoon the tech arrived - seemed to know his stuff. Replaced the splitter and replaced my Samsung box with an SA box. The SA box actually seems more responsive than the Samsung junker.
So far, so good.
Oh, and later Saturday a tech called. Seemed the chat guy created the ticket under the wrong customer profile

Frank

Old 08-10-2010, 10:13 PM

776 posts, read 1,683,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankpc View Post
We lost our TWC service in a thunderstorm last Wed night. How ironic since TW used to portray sat TV as having that problem.
That was one of the first big talking points TWC used when I called to threaten to cancel by saying I was going to DirecTV. I swear they have a list of talking points to run through when an upset subscriber brings up satellite.

"Oh...well...you know that when it's cloudy out, you'll lose signal...you wouldn't want that, now would you?"

"We offer the same quality of programming that our satellite competitors offer."

"You know you do need a big ugly dish hanging on the side of your house, right? What an eyesore that'll be!"

"You do realize that you'll lose out on local content...like News 14 North Carolina?"

I still get those talking points all laid out for me when they send their vultures out door-to-door every few months.

Old 08-10-2010, 11:20 PM

26 posts, read 172,335 times
Quote:
Good luck.

Same here for myself. I suggest that people watch those installers like a hawk because the one that I had did a sloppy job and cable stapled long runs of wire all around my house which is covered with vinyl siding. I was a new homeowner at the time & did not realize how expensive it would be to repair the holes he made in the siding. Also every time it got kinda cloudy we would have trouble receiving the signal.
Personally I'm mostly satisfied with TWC and I don't miss Dish Network at all. I only noticed a slight difference in picture quality, but I'd take reliability & less hardware any day over a minuscule difference in picture quality. Also I did the math and to me if you bundle there isn't much of a difference, if any savings by getting dish, high-speed, and phone separately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary