Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 08:57 AM

331 posts, read 1,126,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
Consumer protection is not racism.
Institutional or systemic racism is very different than what most people traditionally think of as "racism." It is a policy or practice that may make perfect sense (like not giving a deposit or extending credit) but which has a disparate, negative impact on a particular racial or ethnic group.

Another example of institutional racism is "white flight" from cities. It makes economic sense for a white families to leave an area as the minority population begins to rise, no one wants to risk losing money on their home, but the result is segregated neighborhoods. Fortunately thinking has changed and white flight isn't the problem that it was 30 or 40 years ago. More people today are willing to live, and even seek out, diverse neighborhoods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2007, 08:57 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times
Quote:
Yes it is, Dave, a big difference as I see it and I hope you will.

If I ordered from a store, I'd use my Visa card. Should the merchant fail to deliver properly, my credit union would do a chargeback refunding my money.

Consumer protection is not racism. You need to cover your behind regardless of the contractor's ethnicity.

Now THIS is scary...EXACTLY what I thought about saying but I thought it was time to just let it end! You are soooo right, saturnfan! And a store like Home Depot or Lowe's is going to be rather easy to find again whereas a contractor/handyman that you hire may totally disappear. Oh yhea...the scary part? That I agree with saturnfan AGAIN!!!

Vicki

Old 08-09-2007, 09:01 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,153,963 times
It's OK, I won't tell a soul, Vicki.

Old 08-09-2007, 09:42 AM

4,003 posts, read 10,836,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave O View Post
I'm not trying to pick a bone with you but have you ever been in business for yourself? I have.

When you are starting out cash flow is non existant and credit, while it is easier to come by than it used to be, is still difficult to get.

I'm willing to help a young guy out and if I'm ever ripped off then I still helped out a lot of other people who were getting started in business.

My post is aimed at protecting the consumer. As a building inspector, I see the results of unscrupulous contractors on a regular basis. If a contractor cannot get financing from a building supply store, than why should the client finance them? The ability to obtain credit typically runs parallel with character. I am not saying that those starting out dont have the ability to perform a job, but why take the risk? If a young person does not have the financial means to do a job, then perhaps they should work for someone else that does and save their money/build their credit worthiness so down the road they can run their own business when in a better situation. The consumers are not responsible for propping up shaky businesses. Unfortunately, contractors have a reputation which registers just above used car salesman. That perception is there for a reason. For the record, I have done the work, I have built houses, and I work for myself along with my brother and father. I know what it takes, and I know being young and broke is tough. I am not all that old (34) and not too far removed from being broke lol. Business classes should be required for a contractors license. I would also like to see the requirement for a general contractors license reduced from 30k plus jobs to 10k plus jobs. Just my .02.

Old 08-09-2007, 11:02 AM

54 posts, read 195,230 times
My husband is a wonderful carpenter, has done work on our home as well as houses we've bought to resell.

He was considering getting his GC license when we move to NC. He is a perfectionist and very dependable and hard working, would this be a good job opportunity for him in the Chapel Hill N. Raleigh areas?

Old 08-09-2007, 11:11 AM

There's lots of work once he builds up a reputation.

Old 08-09-2007, 11:12 AM

Quote:
There's lots of work once he builds up a reputation.
Yeah, but who is going to take a chance on him.

Old 08-09-2007, 11:22 AM

It's tough to get started.

Sometimes you can work for someone and become a partner in the business or even buy the owner out at their retirement.

Old 08-09-2007, 12:04 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times
Quote:
It's tough to get started.

Sometimes you can work for someone and become a partner in the business or even buy the owner out at their retirement.
Makes sense. Why would someone start a business if they don't understand that there are costs involved? Starting up any company means that you plan ahead. You save if thats your goal. If you can work "under" someone more experienced, thats a good way to begin.

Even when the new agents come into the office, they are told that they should have 6 months' of savings in the bank as they will not make a sale for those first 6 months.

I remember a new contractor that one of my clients had picked out of the phone book. I was there when we walked through the house and my buyer told him just what he wanted done. Although I'm not a contractor, I could tell this guy knew what he was talking about. And since he had very few references, he asked for NO DEPOSIT to do the work.

After he finished, my buyer paid him and I agreed that the work was great. The contractor even pointed out some additional items that required slight work and did that for free.

Great way to get started.

I used him quite often after that. Now, about 4 years later, I still use him but he is getting harder and harder to get unless you are willing to wait 3 weeks for him! And none of my clients ever give him a deposit.

Vicki

Old 08-09-2007, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
Even when the new agents come into the office, they are told that they should have 6 months' of savings in the bank as they will not make a sale for those first 6 months.
It is much easier set aside 6 months worth of savings if you are a white collar real estate agent than if you are a blue collar painter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary